Is there a problem using a birdcage for long-term storage (1 Viewer)

MattyA

Pair
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
I have been reading through this forum and see that many people are using these Apache cases for storing their chips. I have 4 (soon to be 5…) standard birdcages that sit in a closet. Two of the birdcages have stored their chips for 19 years and I haven’t given a second thought to a different method (other than it’s a PITA to unstack one side of the birdcage if you want to play the rack of chips at the bottom). Is there a thread or other common wisdom as to why many people are using these Apache cases vs a birdcage?

Bonus if you can also answer my newbie question: what is a “Justin rack”?

My thoughts are.........

a. Birdcages are fine for storage. They are terrible for travel/moving chips. So if you are not leaving the house with them it is fine.

b. There seems to be a thought process that says the weight of chips will start to flatten/misshape the chips over time. Personally, I have seen zero proof of this but I suppose it is possible.

c. The weight issue is resolved through Justin racks. So the bottom line is if using a birdcage, use Justin racks. ;)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/racks-justin-chip-racks-3-sizes-in-stock.105247/

I have always kept mine in birdcages, and used to take them to tournaments that I ran. But I was always worried about the birdcage breaking. If you are just using them at home I don't see any issue with staying with the birdcage. But as ThinkingFold said, if they are getting moved or transported very much I would look into other options. I just moved my Samurai Palace to an Apache case with custom foam and feel a lot better about moving them if needed.

I have been reading through this forum and see that many people are using these Apache cases for storing their chips. I have 4 (soon to be 5…) standard birdcages that sit in a closet. Two of the birdcages have stored their chips for 19 years and I haven’t given a second thought to a different method (other than it’s a PITA to unstack one side of the birdcage if you want to play the rack of chips at the bottom). Is there a thread or other common wisdom as to why many people are using these Apache cases vs a birdcage?

Bonus if you can also answer my newbie question: what is a “Justin rack”?
I believe people use Apache cases because they’re cool. They’re like treasure chests. And if you’re checking your chips as luggage at the airport or if you toss them in the back of your pickup truck on the way to a game, they offer a lot of protection. But realistically they’re total overkill.

Thanks all. Given the number of birdcages I have, think I’ll stick with them. I did bring some chips to game about 3 weeks ago, and that was the first time doing that in a long time. But might justify a case……..

Just ordered some of the famous Justin racks. If they work out well I’ll order more.

I believe people use Apache cases because they’re cool. They’re like treasure chests. And if you’re checking your chips as luggage at the airport or if you toss them in the back of your pickup truck on the way to a game, they offer a lot of protection. But realistically they’re total overkill.
and I believe you dislike Apaches because people like them! Overkill for what, we know briefcase handles break easily and birdcages can break much easier when transporting.

Even if its just in the trunk of a car, they're fantastically safe. Holds everything I need to run a 3 table tournament in one box. Not checking but carrying them on, much safer and more secure. Easily lockable with a combination lock if you feel the need.

I switched almost all my chips to Justin racks and Apache cases. Since I was carrying them to others games.

But we’re adding an addition to our home right now and I get a dry bar built in shelving and cabinetry. I’ll put my whisky and chips there. But the Apache cases will look tacky since I want it to look nice I’ll prob switch back to birdcages since they show well in them.

I've used cages for almost all my sets going back to 2007. They store nicely, and display the chips inside quite nicely as well.

I also transport in them. It's usually front door to my car (25 feet) then car to where I play (50 feet) and back whenever a set comes form home. I've never had a problem with them as it seems some people have (or are afraid they will have). I've also transported from home to @bergs RIA several times (100 miles each way) and again, have had no issues. I'm careful with them, don't just fling them into the trunk, and do try to make sure they don't roll around during the drive(s).

That said, the cages I have all have the longer "paddle" down the middle that's most of the width of a rack of chips. All 16 of those cages are the type that have three screws into the bottom and not the skinnier version that only has two screws.

YMMV, but I've never had a problem, don't ever expect to as I'm not particularly rough on things I own.

There have been a couple members that have seen damage to clays from acrylic racks, but the overwhelming majority have no issues storing them stacked in these racks. I guess I'm a bit more paranoid than some, so I store clays in warneke-style boxes, just so I sleep better at night.

I've used cages for almost all my sets going back to 2007. They store nicely, and display the chips inside quite nicely as well.

I also transport in them. It's usually front door to my car (25 feet) then car to where I play (50 feet) and back whenever a set comes form home. I've never had a problem with them as it seems some people have (or are afraid they will have). I've also transported from home to @bergs RIA several times (100 miles each way) and again, have had no issues. I'm careful with them, don't just fling them into the trunk, and do try to make sure they don't roll around during the drive(s).

That said, the cages I have all have the longer "paddle" down the middle that's most of the width of a rack of chips. All 16 of those cages are the type that have three screws into the bottom and not the skinnier version that only has two screws.

YMMV, but I've never had a problem, don't ever expect to as I'm not particularly rough on things I own.

Honestly if you’re not transporting them a lot, then use birdcages. They look the best in birdcages and you can display them. I would never display Apache cases. Looks like you got power tools just laying around.

There have been a couple members that have seen damage to clays from acrylic racks, but the overwhelming majority have no issues storing them stacked in these racks. I guess I'm a bit more paranoid than some, so I store clays in warneke-style boxes, just so I sleep better at night.

I’m planning to keep the Justin racks and use them in the birdcages

Mine are stored in covered racks (either Matsui, Apache clones, or Justin racks), in birdcages, in display cases, in the basement.

I sleep well at night.

But for transportation, it's only Justin racks (since they offer the least chip wiggle) in Apache/Pelican cases.

The Trops have been in their cage for 14yrs, no problem. I love the visual on my spends.
7KG's of weight, so common sense prevails if going out with one of the sets
I use an appropriate size tool bag with sturdy base and Bobs your uncle..

1721356249345.jpeg

1721357060719.jpeg

I guess that makes sense too. I’m strictly a single table host, so my sets have tended to max out in the 700-800 chip range. You people with monster sets need monster storage.
Super fair. I move my sets around a lot and I cannot overstate how much I love to store things as one object with everything I need. Don't know if there's a name for that but its prioritized in my mind, having chips/cards/cappers/racks/buttons/cutcards/cashbag all in one box.

I will give a little personal review on storage. First, lets see what I have...
  • 2 sets in bird cages in acrylic racks
  • 1 set in an Apache (knockoff) case
  • Wood Display case
  • a 2200 piece limit set divided over two 1000-piece aluminum cases with the card storage removed to make room for 100 more chips.
  • Paulson chips stacked 7, 8 and even 9 racks high
  • Paulson chips in Warneke boxes, stacked 9 high
  • 1 set in Bud Jones racks/boxes (with oversized chips in a prescription bottle)
  • 3 sets in smaller aluminum boxes
  • China Clay 43mm in racks, stacked 6 high
The above isn't a humble-brag. It's to let you know I'm not coming at this from a perspective of "I heard" or "I bought one thing and I love it". I've used multiple methods over the years, so this is an honest review.

Bird Cages
2024-07-19 12.50.06.jpg

Rating: 10/10
Pros:
Shows off the chips.
You can get them laser etched.
Easy to pull off the shelf and carry to the poker room.
Holds 1000 chips, which probably is the most I will want to carry when I'm 80.
All the pros of rack storage (except price) listed below without any of the cons.

Cons:
They feel unstable, but have never had a failure.
They take up more vertical shelf space because of the handle.

Apache (knockoff) case (on the left)
2024-07-19 12.50.45.jpg

Rating 7/10

Pros:
Super secure. I have travelled with these to Las Vegas (carry-on, not checked), and did not sweat when a baboon kept hammering his bag to try to get it to fit on the overhead compartment.
Pick-and play foam storage. This allows you to customize how many racks it holds, plus buttons, cards, and/or plaques.
Designed to use a lock if you deem it necessary.
Comfortable handle, which is nice when walking to/from the airplane gate - which somehow is always the last gate in the terminal.

Cons:
Heavy for just the case.
Bulky, taking up extra shelf space

Wood Display Case
2024-07-19 13.20.44.jpg

Rating 7/10

Pros:
Nice piece of furniture. Can live in the living room even when non-poker players visit.
Room for cards, buttons, etc.
Tray lifts out, making color-ups easier.
Built-in lock, if you deem it necessary.

Cons:
I don't really trust the handles on the side. I'll carry it a few feet, very gently, but would hold it from the bottom if carrying it any further.
Scratches. I don't think I've added any scratches to it, and I bought it at a discount because of the wear, but it can be a concern if "weathered" tilts you.

Aluminum Cases
2024-07-19 12.51.58.jpg

Rating 4/10

Pros:
Inexpensive. A real plus when you are strapped for cash (as I was early in my chipping career)
Minimal storage space requirements.

Cons:
Easily scratched/dented.
Deemed untrustworthy. Although I have never had a failure in 18 years, there is nothing in the design that indicates quality. The 1000 cases (modified to 1100) are crazy with all that weight (Nexgen chips) supported by 2 tiny pins in the handle. The 300 and 500 chip cases feel much better, but hold a fraction of the chips.
Latches must be checked as they don't always fully close.

Standard Acrylic Racks
2024-07-19 12.50.25.jpg

Rating 6/10

Pros:
Inexpensive.
Nice for display.
Racks are used for storage, color-ups, and moving tables. The right racks for the chip also help with chip counts.
Modular. My cash chips run from 5¢ to $500 chips. I'll never need then all for any one game, so I only bring out what I need for the night. Tournament chips are left on the shelf depending on the blind structure and number of players.
Despite claims of damage from the weight, I have not had an issue, and I have checked the chips under a jeweler's loop.
Minimal shelf footprint.

Cons:
Not easy to pull off the shelf when stacked to the "ceiling".
Risky to carry 9 racks. I keep an extra birdcage and use that when carrying the racks to the poker room. You'd be a fool to travel in the car with racks only, but would be ok with a cardboard box or some other container.

Bud Jones Racks
(Row 6 above)
Rating 5.5/10
Pros:
If you are afraid of the boogie man smooshing your chips, this keeps the weight off of them like a Justin rack.
Racks are used for storage, color-ups, and moving tables. The right racks for the chip also help with chip counts.
Keeps the dust off of them - but if your chips are gathering dust, you should click here.

Cons:
Not as pretty as an acrylic rack
Although they have tabs to prevent slippage, they do not stack as securely as regular racks.

Warneke Boxes, CPC Boxes, and Paulson Boxes
(Rows 5 & part of 7 above)
Rating: 5/10

Pros:
Inexpensive. You might have even gotten them for free when you bought your chips.
Minimal shelf footprint. In fact, the smallest footprint of any storage method I've used

Cons:
You can't see the chips, so I needed labels.
Not secure when carrying more than a couple racks at a time.
Not durable. Cardboard wears out with usage.
Although they look like a rack, they aren't racks. They aren't very trustworthy for chip counts, and although cardboard boxes could be used for color-ups or moving between tables, that will result in even more wear.

This Thing
2024-07-19 12.51.15.jpg

Rating 3/10

Pros
Easy to carry
Tray for one set-up of cards

Cons
Big footprint, and cannot stack
Not super easy to remove chips
Probably not a good idea for car trips. I only say that because I bought this off of FB marketplace, with a set of metal-slugged chips. It wasn't near me, so I had a friend pick it up for me as he was a porter driving through that town. Somehow the chips spilled and some got lost under the seats. Not a big deal, as I bought it for the rack, which was once used to set up the 3rd table during 3 table tournaments (the 3rd table starts as a dinner table, and when people finish eating, we convert it to a poker table. I also use it for running a cash game as I can get buy-ins set up ahead of time for up to 14 players with rebuys on the ends, However, it's 3/10 rating means that chips don't live there anymore, and the rack itself sits with the PowerTechnics board game (which may tell you something).

Hope this was useful!

• Wood Display case
  • a 2200 piece limit set divided over two 1000-piece aluminum cases with the card storage removed to make room for 100 more chips.
  • 1 set in Bud Jones racks/boxes (with oversized chips in a prescription bottle)
The above isn't a humble-brag. It's to let you know I'm not coming at this from a perspective of "I heard" or "I bought one thing and I love it". I've used multiple methods over the years, so this is an honest review.

Bird Cages
View attachment 1359949
Pros:
Shows off the chips.
All the pros of rack storage (except price) listed below without any of the cons.

Cons:

View attachment 1359951
Rating 7/10

Pros:
Super secure. I have travelled with these to Las Vegas (carry-on, not checked), and did not sweat when a baboon kept hammering his bag to try to get it to fit on the overhead compartment.
Pick-and play foam storage. This allows you to customize how many racks it holds, plus buttons, cards, and/or plaques.
Comfortable handle, which is nice when walking to/from the airplane gate - which somehow is always the last gate in the terminal.

Cons:
Heavy for just the case.

Wood Display Case
View attachment 1359972
Rating 7/10

Pros:
Nice piece of furniture. Can live in the living room even when non-poker players visit.

Cons:
I don't really trust the handles on the side. I'll carry it a few feet, very gently, but would hold it from the bottom if carrying it any further.
Scratches. I don't think I've added any scratches to it, and I bought it at a discount because of the wear, but it can be a concern if "weathered" tilts you.

Aluminum Cases
View attachment 1359953
Rating 4/10

Pros:
Inexpensive. A real plus when you are strapped for cash (as I was early in my chipping career)

Cons:
Easily scratched/dented.
Deemed untrustworthy. Although I have never had a failure in 18 years, there is nothing in the design that indicates quality. The 1000 cases (modified to 1100) are crazy with all that weight (Nexgen chips) supported by 2 tiny pins in the handle. The 300 and 500 chip cases feel much better, but hold a fraction of the chips.

Standard Acrylic Racks
View attachment 1359950
Rating 6/10

Pros:
Inexpensive.
Nice for display.
Modular. My cash chips run from 5¢ to $500 chips. I'll never need then all for any one game, so I only bring out what I need for the night. Tournament chips are left on the shelf depending on the blind structure and number of players.
Despite claims of damage from the weight, I have not had an issue, and I have checked the chips under a jeweler's loop.
Minimal shelf footprint.

Cons:
Risky to carry 9 racks. I keep an extra birdcage and use that when carrying the racks to the poker room. You'd be a fool to travel in the car with racks only, but would be ok with a cardboard box or some other container.

Bud Jones Racks
(Row 6 above)
Rating 5.5/10
Pros:
If you are afraid of the boogie man smooshing your chips, this keeps the weight off of them like a Justin rack.
Keeps the dust off of them - but if your chips are gathering dust, you should click here.

Cons:
Although they have tabs to prevent slippage, they do not stack as securely as regular racks.

Pros:
Inexpensive. You might have even gotten them for free when you bought your chips.
Minimal shelf footprint. In fact, the smallest footprint of any storage method I've used

Cons:
Although they look like a rack, they aren't racks. They aren't very trustworthy for chip counts, and although cardboard boxes could be used for color-ups or moving between tables, that will result in even more wear.

This Thing
View attachment 1359952
Rating 3/10

Pros
Easy to carry

Cons
Probably not a good idea for car trips. I only say that because I bought this off of FB marketplace, with a set of metal-slugged chips. It wasn't near me, so I had a friend pick it up for me as he was a porter driving through that town. Somehow the chips spilled and some got lost under the seats. Not a big deal, as I bought it for the rack, which was once used to set up the 3rd table during 3 table tournaments (the 3rd table starts as a dinner table, and when people finish eating, we convert it to a poker table. I also use it for running a cash game as I can get buy-ins set up ahead of time for up to 14 players with rebuys on the ends, However, it's 3/10 rating means that chips don't live there anymore, and the rack itself sits with the PowerTechnics board game (which may tell you something).

Hope this was useful!
Great writeup, I appreciate this.

• Wood Display case

Bird Cages
View attachment 1359949
Pros:
Shows off the chips.

Cons:

View attachment 1359951
Rating 7/10

Pros:

Cons:
Heavy for just the case.

Wood Display Case
View attachment 1359972
Rating 7/10

Pros:

Cons:

Aluminum Cases
View attachment 1359953
Rating 4/10

Pros:

Cons:
Easily scratched/dented.

Standard Acrylic Racks
View attachment 1359950
Rating 6/10

Pros:
Inexpensive.
Nice for display.
Minimal shelf footprint.

Cons:

Bud Jones Racks
(Row 6 above)
Rating 5.5/10
Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

This Thing
View attachment 1359952
Rating 3/10

Pros
Easy to carry

Cons

Hope this was useful!
I LOVE THAT THING! A friend had one before I was into chips and I always thought it was the coolest THING.

• Wood Display case

Bird Cages
View attachment 1359949
Pros:
Shows off the chips.

Cons:

View attachment 1359951
Rating 7/10

Pros:

Cons:
Heavy for just the case.

Wood Display Case
View attachment 1359972
Rating 7/10

Pros:

Cons:

Aluminum Cases
View attachment 1359953
Rating 4/10

Pros:

Cons:
Easily scratched/dented.

Standard Acrylic Racks
View attachment 1359950
Rating 6/10

Pros:
Inexpensive.
Nice for display.
Minimal shelf footprint.

Cons:

Bud Jones Racks
(Row 6 above)
Rating 5.5/10
Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

This Thing
View attachment 1359952
Rating 3/10

Pros
Easy to carry

Cons

Hope this was useful!
I approve this review, fwiw.

I will add that casino-quality locking chip birdcages are the ultimate home storage device, being extremely durable and made using very high quality materials and construction. Unfortunately, they are also difficult to obtain, and extremely expensive to purchase.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom