Is there a way to use a bomb pot button? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I feel like I’m asking a very stupid question. But I’ve always assumed that bomb pot buttons were just dealer buttons that said bomb pot on them, which I thought was dumb. But now I think I’m missing something. Do you actually do something with it other than use it as a dealer button?

@JMC9389 has a very fun way of using them, I'll let him explain so I don't muck up the details....

You can mark where the dealer is for the next bomb pot.

It sucks when, for example, you do a bomb pot every rotation or new game or dealer or timed, and everyone’s in the same position.

So instead seat 1 gets bomb pot. When bomb pot occurs, deal goes to them. Play bomb pot, move bomb pot button to seat 2, and go back to the normal game/button location. Play until next bomb pot game, where regardless of DB, seat 2 will deal, and after they shift bomb pot button to seat 3 and you go back to normal game/button.

So on and so forth, great way to play regulated bomb pots and ensure “fairness”. Especially if your bomb pots play big, who wants to be out of position the whole night?

D3515B14-979B-48DB-B89D-220F776C2BC5.gif

Last edited:
I mean there’s so many more ways to use it as well.

Give your players BP at the start of the night. They can all use it once whenever they want.

Want more frequent BPs? After BP, dealer rolls the dice and the BP goes forward that many seats. Another way is BP Button can be given to winner of BP and you play again when DB hits them.

Want even more BPs? Half BP half DB as the button, flip it with BP on one side and DB on the other side. Deal what comes up.

Other options? Have a barrel (or more) of BP buttons. Everytime someone wins a BP they get one. At the end of the night player with most BPs throws $20 in the BBJ or pays for pizza or whatever.

More options? Play a game during poker. Like no one can say “drink” “drank” “drunk” etc etc. Everytime they do, they get a BP button. When someone reaches X amount of BPs, they deal a BP where everyone throws in $ and they have to throw in $$$.

While I believe my first comment is the correct way, there are hundreds of other ways to introduce a Bomb Pot jeton to the game.

I use it like a hi/lo lammer, a visual reminder that we're playing a bomb pot, and not some other dealer choice's game.

I don’t use one? Lol

Games I’ve run are for nickels and dimes. Not sure “bomb pots” are applicable everywhere. Never seen one in all the cash games I’ve frequented in my little world.

Sounds like fun though.

Lots of us fly with chips. I wouldn’t recommend flying with one of these. Those airport guys are just looking for ways to liven up the boring ass day, and a non event like a bomb pot button would give them the chance to make a big deal out of something that’s harmless. Lots of drama but they know nobody’s getting hurt.

I don’t use one? Lol

Games I’ve run are for nickels and dimes. Not sure “bomb pots” are applicable everywhere. Never seen one in all the cash games I’ve frequented in my little world.

Sounds like fun though.
Haha, actually I don't either. I'll play them at other people's cash games (and they do seem popular) because whatever. But I don't have them at my game because I don't care for them and I know at least one of my guys wouldn't like it at all.
Not sure how I ended up with the button.

I don’t use one? Lol

Sounds like fun though.
i think the 5c/10c games are even better for bomb pots! Everyone throws in a quarter, ooooh, big pot of $2.50 lol.

We enjoy that it shakes things up and anything could happen. No, we arent doing it every round, but once or twice a night it goes over well. Ive folded near nut hands just to make sure one of my players takes the pot.

@JMC9389 has a very fun way of using them, I'll let him explain so I don't muck up the details....
I have a stack of bomb pot chips when we're playing NLHE cash that I'll give out to each player that shows a full house or better. The chip may be tossed in at any time preflop, before any hand

Bomb pots are a great way to keep games out of the muck, especially if you’re playing holdem. In my online club we do them every 25 hands. In a live game the dealer button orbits like earth and the bomb pot orbits like mars. Every other round we do a bomb pot. Fun times. My game skews degen so these guys would play a whole night of bomb pots if I allowed it.

This is easy. Put the bomb pot chip in the first pot of the night. The winner of that pot gets it. When that person (and only that person can call for one) wants to do a bomb pot they toss it in. That chip is a part of the next bomb pot and will go to the winner of that pot. Eat, Sleep, Bomb Pot, Repeat

@tabletalker7's is my favorite. Then I put a timer on it so it can't go off for another 30 mimutes. I also don't introduce it until someone has busted. Then when the person buys back in they get it. Typically the 1st or 2nd.hand of the night people go all in just to aquire the damn thing. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about @quintooo & @Godzilla28

@tabletalker7's is my favorite. Then I put a timer on it so it can't go off for another 30 mimutes. I also don't introduce it until someone has busted. Then when the person buys back in they get it. Typically the 1st or 2nd.hand of the night people go all in just to aquire the damn thing. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about @quintooo & @Godzilla28
You don't need a timer. Let the randomness of this play out. You will have people like me who would sit on it for over an hour and people like @toynoob and @Beakertwang who would use it immediately. Just let it play out.

Last game i gave one to each player, and they could play it on any hand before the deal. Once played we removed it from the table. It worked well - spiced up the game without being too obnoxious.

We do things different than most. We rake every pot $1 if over $10 and $5 if over $100. Those chips are set aside in the bomb pot rack. When there is $50 in the rack, we have a bomb pot which happens about once per hour.

The game I play most in does it like this:

First hand of the night, we give the dealer button and the bomb pot marker to seat 1. The button moves left around the table as we play, and when it reaches the player with the bomb pot marker (seat 1), BOMB POT!

After the bomb pot, move the marker one seat to the  right, and resume normal play until button and marker meet again.

The game I play most in does it like this:

First hand of the night, we give the dealer button and the bomb pot marker to seat 1. The button moves left around the table as we play, and when it reaches the player with the bomb pot marker (seat 1), BOMB POT!

After the bomb pot, move the marker one seat to the  right, and resume normal play until button and marker meet again.

More than once an orbit, wow.

Anybody use the cards to decide, e.g. if the Ace of clubs (or whatever card(s) you designate) shows up on the flop, then next hand is automatically a bomb?

Anybody out there use dice to determine the bomb pot contribution?

Give your players BP at the start of the night. They can all use it once whenever they want.

This is what we do during Hold'em and Hold'em/PLO nights. Everyone gets one, and you're not required to use it. Always double board because, single board BPs seem silly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom