Is there a way to use a bomb pot button? (2 Viewers)

I do top of the hour. The fun twist is if everyone conveniently forgets, we can still play a bomb pot hand that hour as soon as someone remembers. That makes it a fun side game for anyone who remembers while they're in the blinds but don't want to say anything until they're the button to game a positional advantage, only to hilariously forget a few hands later.

1) I’m not a fan of too many buttons. Other than a dealer button I think most buttons are unnecessary. But it totally understand why people like them!

2) Bomb pots can kill a game w too much action and people going broke. I like everyone’s suggestions how to use the bomb button to make it sporadic. We do it every 40 minutes.

3) I had a real cool alarm clock that was the shape of a bomb but it was cheap and broke. Would be a great group buy idea lol. I can’t find anything online.

You can mark where the dealer is for the next bomb pot.

It sucks when, for example, you do a bomb pot every rotation or new game or dealer or timed, and everyone’s in the same position.

So instead seat 1 gets bomb pot. When bomb pot occurs, deal goes to them. Play bomb pot, move bomb pot button to seat 2, and go back to the normal game/button location. Play until next bomb pot game, where regardless of DB, seat 2 will deal, and after they shift bomb pot button to seat 3 and you go back to normal game/button.

So on and so forth, great way to play regulated bomb pots and ensure “fairness”. Especially if your bomb pots play big, who wants to be out of position the whole night?

View attachment 1044508

Great idea! So how do you determine when a bomb pit occurs?

This is easy. Put the bomb pot chip in the first pot of the night. The winner of that pot gets it. When that person (and only that person can call for one) wants to do a bomb pot they toss it in. That chip is a part of the next bomb pot and will go to the winner of that pot. Eat, Sleep, Bomb Pot, Repeat
What if someone that hates bomb pots wins the bomb pot? No more bomb pots for the rest of the night? lol

My game is rotating orbits of NLHE and PLO. The 1st hand of PLO is the bomb pot ($5/per person in our $.25/$.50 game). Once that hand is over, and all the rebuys are handled, the bomb pot button moves 1 position to the left, and we continue with the PLO round. During the NLHE orbit, there is no bomb pot. Once we get back to our original dealer, we switch back to PLO, and when the button gets to the bomb pot button, BOOOOM !!. We then handle the additional rebuys, and continue on.

:-)

My game is rotating orbits of NLHE and PLO. The 1st hand of PLO is the bomb pot ($5/per person in our $.25/$.50 game). Once that hand is over, and all the rebuys are handled, the bomb pot button moves 1 position to the left, and we continue with the PLO round. During the NLHE orbit, there is no bomb pot. Once we get back to our original dealer, we switch back to PLO, and when the button gets to the bomb pot button, BOOOOM !!. We then handle the additional rebuys, and continue on.

:)
So you do a PLO bomb pot every 2 orbits?

So you do a PLO bomb pot every 2 orbits?
Yes and no. If we have 5 players or less, we usually do 2 orbits of each game. If we do that, we only do the bomb pot on the 1st orbit of the PLO round .. if we do them at all. Sometimes we wait until we have at least 6 players to introduce the bomb pot.

I've got 10 bomb pot chips. We used to give one bomb pot chip to each player at the beginning of the night, which they could use to call a bomb pot at any point during the night when they have the button. But we started running out of bomb pots at 9:00, and most of the players seem to love them. So now we do the rotating bomb pot chip, as others have mentioned. You can call a bomb pot when you have the chip and the dealer button, but you don't have to. The button then is passed to the player on the right, who can subsequently call a bomb pot when the button returns to him.

:)
One other note. Bomb pots are completely voluntary in my game, and everyone is given the option to opt out if they aren't comfortable with it.

if that does happen, the player will be taunted, ridiculed, and called names all night ... I mean, we're all degens and such.

not really ... but no one has ever opted out ..

because they will be made fun of....

We have optional bomb pots as well. And NO. No one has ever not participated. They're too much fun to miss!

We have a bomb pot (BP) button that rotates in the opposite direction of the dealer button and when the two align, a regular NLHE hand is dealt and then the bomb pot hand is dealt. The BP hand is a double board of NLHE. We play $0.25/$0.25 stakes and the BP hand is 3BB ($0.75) a player. My guys aren't sophisticated enough yet to do Omaha. After the BP hand, the dealer button continues on as normal and the BP button move 1 place in the opposite direction. You basically do 1 bomb pot every orbit.

What I am going to try on Monday night (office poker game) is making the starting location of the bomb pot random. I'll throw the BP button in with the chips on the very first hand. And whoever wins the hand, wins the BP button and that is where it will start.. So when the dealer button and BP button align, BAM! Bomb Pot!!!

One other note. Bomb pots are completely voluntary in my game, and everyone is given the option to opt out if they aren't comfortable with it.

if that does happen, the player will be taunted, ridiculed, and called names all night ... I mean, we're all degens and such.

not really ... but no one has ever opted out ..

because they will be made fun of....
Hehehe….i mean its only $5!

Until…..

Once that hand is over, and all the rebuys are handled,

The stacks are in! I love the bomb pots.

I've got 10 bomb pot chips. We used to give one bomb pot chip to each player at the beginning of the night, which they could use to call a bomb pot at any point during the night when they have the button. But we started running out of bomb pots at 9:00, and most of the players seem to love them. So now we do the rotating bomb pot chip, as others have mentioned. You can call a bomb pot when you have the chip and the dealer button, but you don't have to. The button then is passed to the player on the right, who can subsequently call a bomb pot when the button returns to him.
Sounds like you don't need 10 bomb pot chips anymore.

If you want to unload 4 of them, drop me a PM :sneaky:

My weekly cash game uses bomb-pot tokens. I keep a rack with 4 barrels of them ready for this purpose.

Started off as something you get for free (1 per buy-in and rebuy). Any time the deal comes to you, you can deal Hold'em or redeem a token to play NL Omaha, starting on the flop, with an ante of 1.

Players still get the free ones, but they can also buy tokens for 0.50 each (or just pay a 0.50 fee on that hand). The accumulated money mostly goes to the bartender that we keep stuck at the club late Wednesday nights when there's no one else there; anything in excess of 50 goes to a game-expenses fund.

We could theoretically do whatever we want with the money; the bartender thing just happens to work out at the moment. It's a useful funding mechanism.

Over the past few months, the game has turned into like 80% bomb pots, and now we play dealer's choice bomb pots when the field thins out to those of us who are comfortable playing complex games. I'm certainly not complaining.

dealer's choice bomb pots when the field thins out to those of us who are comfortable playing complex games. I'm certainly not complaining.
Has anybody ever folded preflop in Scarney, Double board, 5-card Omaha, or any of the other more complex games? Bomb pot circus games are just... circus games.

Has anybody ever folded preflop in Scarney, Double board, 5-card Omaha, or any of the other more complex games? Bomb pot circus games are just... circus games.
Your question may be debatable, but it's a good point.

There are some games where it matters substantially more, though, like Dramaha (where it scales back the disproportionate value of the Draw hand by a whole betting round) and SOHE (where you're now splitting your hand with the flop visible). It's still fair, though, and I do enjoy the variation.

A local host started allowing bomb pot as a game choice for dealer's choice since dealer's choice tend to be a family pot. His players tried it at my game and I quickly shut it down. Sometimes we like to raise a few times before seeing the flop as a family :wtf:

A local host started allowing bomb pot as a game choice for dealer's choice since dealer's choice tend to be a family pot. His players tried it at my game and I quickly shut it down. Sometimes we like to raise a few times before seeing the flop as a family :wtf:
When you triple straddle a bomb pot... you might be a degen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom