KQ suited (with a tell) (1 Viewer)

grebe

Full House
Reaction score
This hand happened a couple weeks ago at an @Seeking Alpha Social Club game. .50/1 blinds, both hero and villain are in for $100 and it is first orbit or two. Early read on villain is that he is at least slightly serious about the game...he has made a comment or two to lead me to believe he plays regular and fancies himself one of the more knowledgeable players in the game. Other than that, no hand history or anything. (For @Seeking Alpha Social Club or @Lil Tuna , this is Jacob).
-Villain limps from early position, 2 callers behind. Hero in cutoff looks down at KsQs. Action?

Ahhhhh....your .5/1 game plays a bit like mine...LOL!!
Yeahhhh, I was buried $400 here last week...
23C6561A-74C4-44CA-86F1-8A8F2BDAE9DF.jpeg

OK, so sounds like everybody is on the same boat. Hero raises to $7, SB (Rich...a LAG) and Villain call. Pot is now roughly $23.

Flop: Qh 10c 7h

We have top pair, good kicker. Checks around to Hero. Action?

Yea I am betting here. Sure you could be behind, but villain's range is wide enough (and likely weak enough with a limp/call from EP) that you are likely ahead. $18 it is. Not letting flush/straight draws see a free card here.

I would be leary of the straight or flush draw here. I honestly do not remember the hand, but that flop would make my ass pucker in my game. He also could have flopped a set given the re-raise preflop.

I would be leary of the straight or flush draw here. I honestly do not remember the hand, but that flop would make my ass pucker in my game. He also could have flopped a set given the re-raise preflop.
There was no 3-bet pre. Only the Hero raised w/ SB & Villain calling.

Flop bet of $16-18.

I don't think there was a re-raise pre-flop... hero was the raiser, everyone else just called.

I don't like that board here either with the Hs out there and the straight possibility.
With the pot the size it is and the check to Hero, I am probably going to put in a feeler bet here to see where I am at... ~$15-18.

I don't think there was a re-raise pre-flop... hero was the raiser, everyone else just called.

I don't like that board here either with the Hs out there and the straight possibility.
With the pot the size it is and the check to Hero, I am probably going to put in a feeler bet here to see where I am at... ~$15-18.
Ahhh...you are correct. Told you I didn't remember the hand...LOL!!

But I still would have limped pre flop.

In small stakes games, I see a lot of players who limp too wide a range, who then can’t stop themselves from calling a preflop raise. Their $1 hand somehow just became a $7 hand? Rrrokay.

So while you could be behind AQ and QT, you and the board block a ton of those. There is a lot more other stubborn Ax/Qx out there which might continue, as well as other combos with one pair and a straight draw (say, QJ, suited Q9, Q8, TJ, T9, T8) and open-enders/double gutters. I even find plenty of low stakes players who simply can’t release a pocket pair which is totally dominated by the board. Or an Ace-high backdoor flush draw. You want to get value from those, even though once a long while they will catch up...

You might even be behind Q7s and T7s, but do these guys really call $7 that wide preflop?

Unless you have a specific read on these players, this hand seems like a good one to “protect” your continuation betting range. That is: There are going to be many similar situations where you flopped better or worse where you want to bet again. This combo (TP/good kicker) is a solid candidate for protecting that range.

If you get reraised, then a specific read on these players seems even more important and theory starts to go out the window... (Is the guy who limped first the type to take it slow with AA/KK/QQ? If he limped those hands to trap and you made it $7, wouldn’t he re-raise preflop?)

Anyway, I like the bet size. Might have gone a little smaller but only 1-2 bucks. If called, re-evaluate on the turn, which often is going to go check-check depending on whether anyone improves or a scare card comes (such as the board pairing, or maybe a J?).

Best scenario in this situation is to check and hope the turn is a non heart 5 or less or another Q. Any other cards are most likely danger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom