MAN CAVE Pics thread - no stack posts (3 Viewers)

Please share details
It's a NewAir AW-281 wine cooler. I ordered custom drawers from wineadors.com, and recessed it into my wall. What details would you like?(stock photo - not my actual drawers)
s684782447289377954_p23_i1_w240.jpeg

We Texans can have a basement but there are issues.

In my neck of the woods, dynamite would be in order. No joke. The limestone under my house is mostly good enough to substitute for a concrete foundation. Digging a hole is damned expensive.

The folks in the coastal area have gumbo-like clay. There is a constant risk of implosion from the weight of the soil on the walls of the basement. It is fixable but not cheap.

A better solution? land is somewhat cheap in most parts of the state. Buy the lot next door (or live on acreage) and just add an extra room (or a suite for those of independent means.)

That is how my poker room came to be - my wife and I traded new rooms. I got a poker room and she got a reading/writing room. No where in our dreams was there a hole deep enough for a basement, I struggle to dig a hole deep enough to plant a daffodil.

DrStrange

It's a NewAir AW-281 wine cooler. I ordered custom drawers from wineadors.com, and recessed it into my wall. What details would you like?(stock photo - not my actual drawers)
View attachment 28501

What are you using for a humidifier? Crystals? Are the drawers not installed in the pics?

Which Liga Unico Serie are those?

I want to so something like this in my basement

I'd hate not to have a basement as an option. Both my houses have had one so I'm used to having the space.

What are you using for a humidifier? Crystals? Are the drawers not installed in the pics?

Which Liga Unico Serie are those?

I want to so something like this in my basement
I am currently waiting on my drawers to arrive. There is about a 4 week turn around time on them. Currently I am using the wine racks with tupperware to hold the cigars. For humidity I use silica crystal kitty litter sprayed with distilled water. It holds a steady rH of 67%. One I get the drawers and season them I will see if I can continue to use the kitty litter. Those are Dirty Rats - one of my favorites! I attached a few more pics. I still have to insulate the box and tack down the electrical wires, but otherwise it was pretty easy.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

20160123_093249.jpg

20160123_093303.jpg

20160123_093314.jpg

20160123_093425.jpg

I'd hate not to have a basement as an option. Both my houses have had one so I'm used to having the space.
I'd love to have one. I have a nice big house, but no nice big basement. Instead I was able to covert the second story attic space above the garage into a man cave/poker room. But at 250 sq ft, it is a far cry from what I could have done with a 2,500 sqft basement.

I'd love to have one. I have a nice big house, but no nice big basement. Instead I was able to covert the second story attic space above the garage into a man cave/poker room. But at 250 sq ft, it is a far cry from what I could have done with a 2,500 sqft basement.
I grew up in Florida so I remember what it was like for no one to have a basement, but after being in Atlanta I've grown used to it. Definitely makes poker life easier.

I grew up in Florida so I remember what it was like for no one to have a basement, but after being in Atlanta I've grown used to it. Definitely makes poker life easier.
Your poker room is the basement, yes? I could always move some furniture downstairs and set up 2 or 3 full size tables, but then I couldn't smoke cigars while we play, what would be the point of that? o_O The wife gave me the thumbs up for smoking in the man cave as the exhaust fan keeps it out of the rest of the house. Oh well, I will continue to drool over yours and the other awesome basements.

Living in Texas and no Basement my Man Cave is upstairs, almost all of upstairs. Currently 3 bedrooms and one large living area. One of the bedrooms is my 18 year old daughter's room the remainder of the upstairs is my Man Cave. Man I love my wife!!! One bedroom dedicated to working out and autograph memorabilia, another room dedicated to Chips and Ammo reloading and the large room is Poker and Pool Table.
I finished up painting everything and now have a few items to hang up on the wall this morning. Once I complete that I will take some pics and post them. since three rooms are man cave I may have to post more than one picture.

Living in Texas and no Basement my Man Cave is upstairs, almost all of upstairs. Currently 3 bedrooms and one large living area. One of the bedrooms is my 18 year old daughter's room the remainder of the upstairs is my Man Cave. Man I love my wife!!! One bedroom dedicated to working out and autograph memorabilia, another room dedicated to Chips and Ammo reloading and the large room is Poker and Pool Table.
I finished up painting everything and now have a few items to hang up on the wall this morning. Once I complete that I will take some pics and post them. since three rooms are man cave I may have to post more than one picture.
I can't wait until the kids leave the house and I take over!!! (Evil Laughter)

Can't wait to see pics.

You've got a room blueprint, including what look like STARTING STACKS on the Poker tables?? Attention to detail FTW!

Thanks but not starting stacks. Those are octagon tables with the chip holder cut outs. Only table I could find on my program.

Your poker room is the basement, yes? I could always move some furniture downstairs and set up 2 or 3 full size tables, but then I couldn't smoke cigars while we play, what would be the point of that? o_O The wife gave me the thumbs up for smoking in the man cave as the exhaust fan keeps it out of the rest of the house. Oh well, I will continue to drool over yours and the other awesome basements.
Yup. Only disadvantage is no smoking in Casa de Hitching Post. [emoji26] The saving grace though is that it is a walkout patio and I can smoke a cigar outside. Doesn't help when it's 20 though.

While my Man Cave is not as impressive as some it is very functional. As I explained in another post I am close to being an empty-nester. It's just My waife and I, 18 year old daughter and 3 dogs. Here are some pics of my "Almost all of the second floor Man Cave". Kind of a Texas Theme so although we may not have basements it is great when you have a whole second story (sans 1 room) to work with. Let me take you on a brief tour.

Walking upstairs

Reverse view from upstairs

Room to the right of upstairs dedicated to working out, Cowboys (my son's old room) and Autographs/Collectibles.

Continued in next Post

Other room way to the left of upstairs Dedicated to chip storage, Clowning, Guns and Reloading

And now the Main Room!!!
And a closeup of the table ready for the next scheduled game. $2000 worth of buy-ins, setup of DaVinci Jumbo index and a Grand Vic Button

Last edited:
In Texas most of the land here has a few inches of dirt then there is usually caliche and tons of limestone. To get any deeper than about 6 -12 inches you would have to blast with dynamite. Pools are expensive to build here for the same reason.

In Texas most of the land here has a few inches of dirt then there is usually caliche and tons of limestone. To get any deeper than about 6 -12 inches you would have to blast with dynamite. Pools are expensive to build here for the same reason.

Not true in Houston, where the clay or sand is pretty deep. The bigger thing is that without any ground freeze, there's no need to use deep foundations to get under the frost line. In the North, since you have to dig anyway for the foundations, it's not much more money to excavate a whole basement. Also, the water table can be really high in some areas, which causes flooding issues for underground structures.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom