Poker Chip Optical Illusions (2 Viewers)

GreekRedEye

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I go to CPC's website, this one gets me. Do the chips in the 1000 stack looked "squished" to any of you? I thought for a while the designer had messed up, but I finally dragged it into Illustrator today and, yep, those lines are straight!

1714827017630.png

The question is, does this same illusion happen in real life? Anyone got a stack of these and can snap a photo?

Do the chips in the 1000 stack looked "squished" to any of you? I thought for a while the designer had messed up, but I finally dragged it into Illustrator today and, yep, those lines are straight!

They looked "squished" to me also on chip number 3, 4, 5 from the bottom on the right hand side of the stack. Weird.

My eyes are definitely falling for whatever trick is being presented. Chips # 3 - 5 from the bottom are “wedging”, leaning to the right. Furthermore, if I let my eyes float after seeing the wedge, chip # 6 and 2 (and #1 to a lesser extent) lean to the left.

I thing it has something to do with the 3 like colored spots being offset in that “parenthetical” pattern with the equally spaced and sized spots so close on the left and right that alternate colors on the 8A14. I doubt it would happen with a 6A14, 614, or 814.

I would also guess the hovering chip facing the viewer somehow affects the illusion, because none of the chips above #6 look askew. I wonder if the circular pattern is affecting the illusion, or if any shape that disrupted the horizontal break between chips would affect the same outcome. The hovering aspect to the illusion could make it more difficult to recreate the illusion

In any case, I enjoyed waking up and immediately having my brain broken

I feel like at least one of the following three things should come true:
  1. Folks start recreating famous optical illusions with poker chips and post them in this thread.
  2. This spawns a new optical illusion chipset design.
  3. @David Spragg announces that I found the secret Easter egg, hidden for years. The grand prize is a free custom set made on the Ewing mold.

What is they’re the same, Alex

I’ll take poker chip illusions for $800
To my eye, they looked different. a) looks lighter than b). But it is one stroke of one color on the outside of the yellow path. I think the pink arrows actually break the illusion a little bit. Here is another shot of the thing without the arrows.

1715030954539.png

One optical illusion is that colored type always looks darker than the same color spread over a larger area.
That’s why I always need to edit the color of type when it is supposed to match a chip color, going sometimes two shades lighter to make it look right.

One optical illusion is that colored type always looks darker than the same color spread over a larger area.
That’s why I always need to edit the color of type when it is supposed to match a chip color, going sometimes two shades lighter to make it look right.
Good pro tip there!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom