Poker coaching? (1 Viewer)

GoJo_Dingo

Pair
Reaction score
So, how about it? I am fairly new to Texas Hold’em and looking to improve strategy. What are recommendations for finding a coach for live play? I realize there is tracker software for online play but what about live play?

For live specific, I'd look at crushlivepoker with Bart Hansen. Try free versions of podcasts or videos and if you like it, move to premium.

If you specifically want a coach, better luck on 2+2 forums than here, they're more serious about that type of deal.

I started out with the Johnathan Little coaching books. Those were great to jumpstart deeper learning. Haven't ventured into paid coaching as I've taken a step back from poker for a bit with a new kiddo.

redchippoker.com has their initial CORE offering for $5/week (one red chip) which has so far had pretty good information in it. The people running it seem knowledgeable and are easy to work with. They also have a discord you can join for free where you can get hand analysis and discuss strategy, mental game, etc. There is also a companion app for gto and exploitative ranges for live and online 6-max. The app has some basic RFI charts for free, some further ones get unlocked if you join their CORE program, and the full thing can be unlocked by joining their PRO course or as its own subscription. You can pause and resume any of the subscriptions whenever you like.

I also like Bart Hansen's free content from crush live poker but I haven't sampled any of the stuff behind their paywall as I found and clicked with redchip pretty early.

Honestly, if you just get decent with RFI ranges you're already doing better than most of the punters in low stakes. The rest is just enhancing win rate and moving up stakes heh.

Cash or tournament? People that hate tournaments play them the same, and that’s part of the reason for their hate. They are lazy or incapable of adjustment, just want a formula to play every time.
Tournament play is different, just so you know that in the beginning.

redchippoker.com has their initial CORE offering for $5/week (one red chip) which has so far had pretty good information in it. The people running it seem knowledgeable and are easy to work with. They also have a discord you can join for free where you can get hand analysis and discuss strategy, mental game, etc. There is also a companion app for gto and exploitative ranges for live and online 6-max. The app has some basic RFI charts for free, some further ones get unlocked if you join their CORE program, and the full thing can be unlocked by joining their PRO course or as its own subscription. You can pause and resume any of the subscriptions whenever you like.

I also like Bart Hansen's free content from crush live poker but I haven't sampled any of the stuff behind their paywall as I found and clicked with redchip pretty early.

Honestly, if you just get decent with RFI ranges you're already doing better than most of the punters in low stakes. The rest is just enhancing win rate and moving up stakes heh.
RFI range?

Thinking poker podcast and Play Optimal Poker by Andrew Brokos. He wrote a sequel which is also good. I think that one is called Play More Optimaler

Cash or tournament? People that hate tournaments play them the same, and that’s part of the reason for their hate. They are lazy or incapable of adjustment, just want a formula to play every time.
Tournament play is different, just so you know that in the beginning.
People can hate tournaments for other reasons. Painting with a pretty broad brush for what people like to play.

Tournament play is different than cash games, that's solid advice.

People can hate tournaments for other reasons. Painting with a pretty broad brush for what people like to play.

Lighten up Francis, nothings absolute.

You can sugarcoat it all you want with any kind of justification, but in the end it boils down to a couple of basic reasons - listed above.

I play tournaments, but much prefer cash games. I find memorizing preflop fold/jam charts to be kinda tedious, and the nature of tournament play is more boring to me because of the preflop nature of the game, as compared with deep stack cash. Tournaments are also higher variance in my experience, and even when I come in 2nd I’m not happy with the result.

I’m almost always happy with cash results and the process is just more interactive and fun.

But winning tournaments is fun, I’ve heard.

I find memorizing preflop fold/jam charts to be kinda tedious,
I’m not sure I even know what you’re talking about, but it boils down to one of the reasons I listed above if you find it too tedious to do. If you are memorizing charts and solvers and stuff then you are still playing cash game mentality in a tournament IMHO, and maybe thats why you aren’t enjoying it as much.

I used imho and maybe to avoid setting off the absolutists.

But really to get back to the OP, it does matter some. Just saying don’t get advice on “how to play holdem” and think it extends to all forms. What you pick up depends on what you are going to play - some areas of the country it’s cash games only, and other areas people only play tournaments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom