Poker Themed Board Game (1 Viewer)

Mac128k

Flush
Reaction score
I thought some of you guys (@Psypher1000) might dig this little rare board game from 1989 I just picked up. I haven't been able to find anything out about the creator or find another.

Everything about it is cool. The tiles are awesome actual tile tiles. Everything is high quality. It has a solitaire ruleset and 2 player. Enjoy!

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0762.JPG IMG_0763.JPG IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0765.JPG

This is the first time I've ever seen this, or even heard of Mastercraft products. They've obviously spent some real money getting this produced, especially since this was released before crowdfunding.

Looks simple enough - we will build our own board this afternoon and give it a go.

2017-12-30 10.47.15.jpg

It's not as pretty as the gameboard, but chips make everything better. Also owning a miniature deck of cards made this possible.

The game played pretty well. More fun than checkers, and we were unraveling multiple layers of strategy. The only thing that is broken is the "Point scoring system", which I believe was an afterthought.

View attachment 143904

It's not as pretty as the gameboard, but chips make everything better. Also owning a miniature deck of cards made this possible.

The game played pretty well. More fun than checkers, and we were unraveling multiple layers of strategy. The only thing that is broken is the "Point scoring system", which I believe was an afterthought.
So cool that you two played it!

Pretty cool. Too bad they didn't come up with a better branded name than THE GAME, it might have caught on. Pretty hard to market such a generic name.

Also made it a PITA to search on the web for :)

Yeah, even the company name "Mastercraft Products" was like sifting wheat from chaff.

We have a whole shelf dedicated to "So you want to be a game company" games. All of them fail because of simple marketing errors that would have been fixed if they had only listened to someone that was outside of their inner circle.

I don't know the brains behind Mastercraft Products or The Game, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that if they demo'ed it anywhere, they were asked at least 10 times "Why The Game"? And their answer was something stupid like "That's what we kept referring to it as, and it stuck."

That, boys and girls, is why in 2009 Settlers of Catan sold 1/2 a million copies, and The Game has been swept away in the winds of time.

Not poker related, but I picked up a funky game at the thrift store recently, and I can't find any information at all about it online. Not even boardgamegeek has an entry. It's like a hockey themed version of Chutes n Ladders called Pucks n Whistles. The copyright is 1989 made by Cariboo Connection Games in Vancouver. Any idea where to look for info on it?

Not poker related, but I picked up a funky game at the thrift store recently, and I can't find any information at all about it online. Not even boardgamegeek has an entry. It's like a hockey themed version of Chutes n Ladders called Pucks n Whistles. The copyright is 1989 made by Cariboo Connection Games in Vancouver. Any idea where to look for info on it?

If boardgamegeek doesn't have it, I'm not sure where else to search. :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom