Should I get a tournament set? (2 Viewers)

I probably would like to get a 12-15 person set within the range of $300
If you go with the showdowns I linked above you can do a 600 chip set of 150/150/75/150/75 of T25/100/500/1000/5000, that would be $126+shipping.

This would afford you 18 stacks of 8/8/4/7 with some extras.

When you have 12 or fewer players you could instead to 12/12/5/6 starting stacks.

But if your budget is more like $300, customs in a Tina ceramics group buy are probably in range.

Main issue with cheap chips is that "everyone" can buy and has access to them....meaning unscrupulous folks could bring one or more $25 or $100 chips to your game and cause all sorts of bank accounting problems. This is why many here chose less common or accessible chips here or full customs for that extra protection.
As for do you need a tourney set? Yes you do because also of the same situation above and the risk of someone ratholing a chip in a tournament just to bring it back in a cash game.... use at least 2 different sets in this role to avoid the problem....

Main issue with cheap chips is that "everyone" can buy and has access to them....meaning unscrupulous folks could bring one or more $25 or $100 chips to your game and cause all sorts of bank accounting problems. This is why many here chose less common or accessible chips here or full customs for that extra protection.
This point is very well taken, and frankly I think anyone that purports to host 1-2 or higher has no excuse for using stock chips. They can at the very least afford semi customs from ABC/BRPro. I have customs and I mostly host 50¢-50¢ or 50¢-1.

In tournaments, it's a little less dangerous to use stock chips because the host's liability is capped at the prize pool in a tournament. (Even adding chips does not change the payouts, unlike with cash.). There is still a risk of cheating, of course, obviously you don't want extra chips slipped into the game and it won't be detected until the end.

I don’t get all the hate for tournaments. My guys prefer them as do I for casual but competitive monthly meetups. Some of my guys are really good card players too. Cash players get over it, tournament play is fun and a way to cap potential losses.

I never could get blind structures dialed in to the point where it didn't feel like folks who busted out early were sitting around not doing much but shooting the breeze and waiting on the others to finish AND have it not run until too late at night. This is in part I think because the people I was playing with didn't like turbo format because those ended -too- fast. So lately just been capping potential losses by playing micro stakes with 100BB max buy in. Even if you buy in five times you're still only in for $50 on the night.

I think we may start alternating cash and tournaments so that people with a strong preference for one or the other each get to do their thing.

Ideally, I'd just do both and have a shortish tournament with a cash game alongside to join as folks bust from the tournament, but I never could make that manifest.

So to answer the original question, yes, of course you should get a tournament set. Moar chips, and moar chances to play poker.

I never could get blind structures dialed in to the point where it didn't feel like folks who busted out early were sitting around not doing much but shooting the breeze and waiting on the others to finish AND have it not run until too late at night.
Ideally, I'd just do both and have a shortish tournament with a cash game alongside to join as folks bust from the tournament, but I never could make that manifest.
The key to running both cash and tourney back-to-back without things running too long or having players sitting around waiting is amazingly simple.

Run the cash game first, followed by the tourney.

The key to running both cash and tourney back-to-back without things running too long or having players sitting around waiting is amazingly simple.

Run the cash game first, followed by the tourney.
Hmmm, for some reason that feels unintuitive but that's never stopped me from trying something before

I don’t get all the hate for tournaments. My guys prefer them as do I for casual but competitive monthly meetups. Some of my guys are really good card players too. Cash players get over it, tournament play is fun and a way to cap potential losses.

I was just answering this question. I don't "hate" tourneys. Well, I hate hosting them. Hosting cash is so much easier.

Should I get a tournament set?​

I was just answering this question. I don't "hate" tourneys. Well, I hate hosting them. Hosting cash is so much easier.

Should I get a tournament set?​

Only if it's pretty and you like it.

Sorta like getting a wife, only you seem to keep those longer. :)

I have a custom cash set, and I plan to get at least 3 or 4 more cash sets. I'm wondering if I need a separate set 4 sets for tournaments, or if 3 will be enough.
I fixed your post! :)

3 is for amateurs, so you will definitely need 5 to 8 of each!! :)

Last edited:
Is there a way? Sorry I’m a noob and have only played cash games.
Type "re-buy" into the search function, check the "search titles only" box, click the "search" button, and start reading. Tons of ways to do it.

Should I shave my genitals?
Should I trust the Government?
Should I run for President?
Impossible to answer without a sound Classics education.

Are you playing with friends/family, or randos? The worry is always that those "worthless" tournament chips can find themselves in someone's pocket and then back into your cash game. If that isn't a worry with your group and you're sure your game won't expand, then adding to your existing set can be cost effective.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom