Starting My First Customs... (1 Viewer)

I completely switched up my theme to something more fun. J5 seems to like the direction ive decided to go, hasn't requested a deposit yet so they aren't yet under development but I'm hoping they'll get underway before too long.

My question is, does CPC have an additional fee (and if so how much are we talking) for different inlays on each side of the chip?
Nope, they do it at no charge!

Current mockup... spots won't be set in stone until I have inlays to factor in but this is where they currently sit. Couldn't decide between the first two so one will be a .25 and one will be a .50 (never in use together). Yes I know there are lots of shades of orange between the 5 and 20 and no, I'm not sure that I care :)

Screen Shot 09-24-15 at 04.58 PM.PNG

And yes I am aware these are 1" inlays on the circle/square mold, I plan on discussing whether this will work with CPC beforehand.

The 1" inlays on circle/square definitely work, and the sets produced as such are some of the nicest inlay/mold combinations in my entire ASM/CPC collection.

His entire set is 1", I think. The herb chips were oversize 1-1/8".

Got ya, thanks. They look incredible, after seeing/playing with the chips in person I decided right then and there my first set would be on the csq mold. Very excited to see upcoming sets being built on it, it's a great mold.

That $1 is freakin' ridiculous. LOVE it. Oh and David S. just got through telling me how Jamie is going to murder him for approving a 9-color chip. If only he knew; I am just the first... :cool:

my 2c worth

Cali flag bear and star as a theme?
CHIPS - cali highyway patrol you know that old tv drama with eric astrada. and the dude who no one knows the name of the blond guy? this could make a theme you have the bikes the badge cops robbers etc

Color of chips i do some car and motor cycle painting and ive notice that any more than 3 colors together on vehicles starts to look odd.

I have a relabeled GV set and the primary 100's seem to suffer this.

Lastly find out which chip is going to be your workhorse. in my set i play tourneys so the 100 and 1000 are the workhorses. They are the ones that need the most thought.

all the above is an opinion eveyone has one ; )

Current mockup... spots won't be set in stone until I have inlays to factor in but this is where they currently sit. Couldn't decide between the first two so one will be a .25 and one will be a .50 (never in use together). Yes I know there are lots of shades of orange between the 5 and 20 and no, I'm not sure that I care :)

View attachment 18177

And yes I am aware these are 1" inlays on the circle/square mold, I plan on discussing whether this will work with CPC beforehand.

I'm not sure I get the logic behind the slot progression, sometimes they repeat other times they are close but not quite the same...little confusing to me. Couple of design process suggestions, try starting of really generic with colors, one of my first professors told me to always begin in black and white to get composition down and then think about color second. Second, In her First Lady Luck set Abby alternates contrasting base colors to make chips used together on the table more distinguishable. I think it's clever and could be applied to spots as well, or at least to how you think about them. I gave it a shot based on those ideas while still having somewhat of a relation between the paired chips..kinda breaks down on last two but the quantity of white / black and how they look from the side seems to follow the pattern. Sorry for wall of text...think I've had too much coffee this morning :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443189129.466098.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443189150.905396.jpg

Thanks but I'm happy with the spot progression. First two are identical but as I said they will never be used together (one is .25 one is .50).

All 1/4" which I love.

4 spot
6 spot squeezed
6 spot spread
8 spot

Hundo is same pattern as the 20 but a) I love the 20 but it leaves nowhere to "expand" b) the hundo is different enough color-wise to be a non issue and c) I'll never get the hundos in to play anyways.

Thanks but I'm happy with the spot progression. First two are identical but as I said they will never be used together (one is .25 one is .50).

All 1/4" which I love.

4 spot
6 spot squeezed
6 spot spread
8 spot

Hundo is same pattern as the 20 but a) I love the 20 but it leaves nowhere to "expand" b) the hundo is different enough color-wise to be a non issue and c) I'll never get the hundos in to play anyways.

Cool, It will be great:)

Got the "I'm ready to start" email from J5 today... WOO HOO!!!

Is anyone else having issues loading a saved design in the chip design tool? My chips pop up, then it says loading inlays, then the chips all disappear. Not a big deal, I can delete my previous designs and re-enter everything if need be.

Got the "I'm ready to start" email from J5 today... WOO HOO!!!

Is anyone else having issues loading a saved design in the chip design tool? My chips pop up, then it says loading inlays, then the chips all disappear. Not a big deal, I can delete my previous designs and re-enter everything if need be.
Ack! That's at least one more person I am behind lol!

I'm almost done, one less person. Besides we should be grateful with our sets already....

...did I just say that. MoaR

I sometimes wonder if John enjoys all the business or wishes we would leave him the hell alone, but is just too nice to tell anyone!

Appreciate what we have? What are you a commie? I got in line for Paymaster and then got back in line for a hotstamp set! I have to escalate my chips arm race because Slisk is trying to catch up to me. [emoji38]

Ronoh I'm too lazy to go back and look. Did you ever come up decisively with your theme?

Ronoh I'm too lazy to go back and look. Did you ever come up decisively with your theme?
I sure did, I just haven't let the cat out of the bag yet :)

Actually that could make for a fun game... first one to guess the name gets a free sample set.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ _ _ _

That's all I'll put for now, I'll add a letter WOF style every now and again. Can't really give any clues to the theme or it would make it too easy ;)

I sometimes wonder if John enjoys all the business or wishes we would leave him the hell alone, but is just too nice to tell anyone!

Appreciate what we have? What are you a commie? I got in line for Paymaster and then got back in line for a hotstamp set! I have to escalate my chips arm race because Slisk is trying to catch up to me. [emoji38]

I hear you. I have my next two projects in my head already. The rate at which I commission new sets is limited by only two things: how much work J5 has on his plate and my wife's good graces.

And yes, I have nightmares about J5 telling me he's sick of my revisions and wanting to tweak the inlay to "look like a Rembrandt." EDIT: And of course the huge hole this puts in my wallet.

I sure did, I just haven't let the cat out of the bag yet :)

Actually that could make for a fun game... first one to guess the name gets a free sample set.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ & _ _ _ _ _ _ _

That's all I'll put for now, I'll add a letter WOF style every now and again. Can't really give any clues to the theme or it would make it too easy ;)

Captain & Tennille?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom