THE HOT SAUCE THREAD (1 Viewer)

I think I have a new favorite. This one was amazing.
Rocoto Manzano peppers and pears. Rocotos are very hard to grow in my area - they need cooler temperatures (they just drop flowers in the Houston heat) and the peppers take months to mature and usually don't survive a freeze. But they're incredibly tasty and I was shocked to find them for sale in Fiesta!

1658782573219.png

Just tried merfs Hand Grenade - pineapple and Arbol chilis today. Very tasty. Next up coonyon fire - habaneros and apricot. Vegan, sugar free, gluten free but lots of taste!

DiD2 sauce made today. Orange habaneros, scorpion peppers, mango pulp, beer, apple cider vinegar, carrots, potato, onion, garlic, cumin, salt. pH of 3.8 so nice and shelf stable. Was a little worried on quantity since @CraigT78 is hosting a big event but managed to get 40 bottles. Now to print the labels…

12B3C936-5878-4083-ABA0-5A66BFF22D5D.jpeg

2E763E50-AFC0-4113-8C83-A95AFDAB59FC.jpeg

F0CF5CF5-1A5E-4264-87FF-7DA086708DE6.jpeg

Have cash will spend! :LOL: :laugh: Don't forget me on the peppers if you have too many =D

@Darson what have I done... my Reapers have become... well... something EVIL!!
20220831_153021.jpg

I mean this point my plants are pushing 9 - 10 years old, been next to other pepper plants their whole life. But reapers should never be 4 freaking inches long! Lol

Obviously larger means less potent right? So I cut one and tried it... nope, still deadly! But I have no idea what they are now other than the plant started as a Carolina Reaper.

View attachment 978713
I mean this point my plants are pushing 9 - 10 years old, been next to other pepper plants their whole life. But reapers should never be 4 freaking inches long! Lol

Obviously larger means less potent right? So I cut one and tried it... nope, still deadly! But I have no idea what they are now other than the plant started as a Carolina Reaper.

Ben, those look great! As with all things natural, you will get variation in shape but the heat will still be there.

In 2020, this is what happened to my gnarly scorpions (the one on top is what they're supposed to look like - mine went huge and much brighter red):
50165141816_af3b3116ee_c.jpg

View attachment 978713

Don’t rub your eyes after handling those!

That powder must be intense! Damn!
You have to grind them outdoors with a strong wind and a mask on (respirator would be great but don't have one) if you breathe in the dust it will burn everything and you almost can't breathe at all for the next 12 hours! It's terrible

I'm sure @Darson has a lab with a grinding cabinet that has an exhaust system. Eating this stuff is one thing but breathing it in dust form is much much much worse!

Spicy peanuts!
What she means is we buy boiled peanuts. Add hot sauce (to get the powder to stick) and lots of ground Reapers... the Peanuts have hurt several grown men! Lol

Learned that trick from a guy in the Carolinas, he carried a film canister with Peanuts and would pop one here or there. It had ghost pepper grinds in the canister. You can enjoy your "heat" on a few Peanuts all day long!

I asked why and he said "I love heat, I love Peanuts and it us a healthy snack!" Made perfect sense...

I just turned it into a wicked party joke. I can eat one after another and never phase me... people ask for one and I say "they are HOT are you sure?" "Yeah man I love hot stuff" "OK"

They eat one and run like babies trying to wash their mouth out. Hey I warn them... they did it to themselves! Lmao

You have to grind them outdoors with a strong wind and a mask on (respirator would be great but don't have one) if you breathe in the dust it will burn everything and you almost can't breathe at all for the next 12 hours! It's terrible

I'm sure @Darson has a lab with a grinding cabinet that has an exhaust system. Eating this stuff is one thing but breathing it in dust form is much much much worse!

Secret: the cheapest Oster blender from Walmart has a blade attachment that is exactly the same size as a small mouth mason jar. You screw the blades right onto a mason jar. It kinda turns the blender into a magic bullet - but you don't have to take the powder out afterwards as it's already in its storage container. Just carefully remove the blades and screw on a mason jar lid. I got mine for $18 and it's only used for making powder and mash.

IMG_3014.jpeg

Secret: the cheapest Oster blender from Walmart has a blade attachment that is exactly the same size as a small mouth mason jar. You screw the blades right onto a mason jar. It kinda turns the blender into a magic bullet - but you don't have to take the powder out afterwards as it's already in its storage container. Just carefully remove the blades and screw on a mason jar lid. I got mine for $18 and it's only used for making powder and mash.

View attachment 978850
That is a picture of pure gold right there!! That takes a lot of peppers to get that much power!

Careful woth that Orange one! It sneaks up very quickly! Lol @Darson sent us some in powder form a while back! That one was quite warm!

View attachment 978850
Genius idea

I'm guessing I have read through the 1st 3 or 4 pages of this thread at least a half dozen times always thinking I would get a few recommendations worth acting on, but that never happens so I am caving in and asking for help.

You guys are way more into this than I am, so I want your help.

My favorite hot sauces are of the sweet and spicy type.

Can the experts here recommend 2 or 3 of your top sweet and spicy choices please?

Dirty Dick's.
Which is a good reminder that I haven't had a bottle in my house in a long time, need to fix that. One of my absolute favorites.
1661997675266.png

I saw a story claiming that sriracha production has come to a screeching halt due to drought conditions. Not sure if that is true.

New to the thread! this is awesome! I love a good hot sauce! here's my current go to... one of a few. I'm impressed with the variety you guys have, Dayum!
41TIOTSsg4L.jpg

I saw a story claiming that sriracha production has come to a screeching halt due to drought conditions. Not sure if that is true.
Sadly it's true. Huy Fong has a shortage of the ripe red jalapenos that their sauce is made from. Also impacted are their sambal oelek and chili garlic. They don't expect more stock until late fall.

Despite me making my own sauces, sriracha is a staple in our house and I usually buy it by the case. I have about 10 bottles as well as 3 sambal oelek so it's not going to impact me but I do feel sad looking at the prices some of the stores are now charging. $7 and up for sauce that I bought<$3/bottle.

My personal chili harvest is going to be pretty poor this year There has been far too much heat followed by far too much rain this year and my plants have hardly any peppers on them. Again, my forward planning is helping as I have a lot of frozen pepper and power from previous years so not too much of a concern right now. Next year I'm going to plant an absolute ton as I don't want to risk not having easy access to the spice of life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom