The Watch Thread (16 Viewers)

I’ve gone through a few available on Amazon in the $100 range. The lowest quality ones make too much noise. I recently had to replace a dual winder with the faux wood finish. First one lasted about 2 years before one of the two spinning directions really started struggling. I would recommend it for the price point. Just don’t expect it to last forever. I’m being more conscious this time around of avoiding the alternating directions to see if it prolongs motor life. It helps to figure out what wind direction(s) your watches are. These basic kinds of winders tend to overwind your watches fyi.

I've also had experience with a high end branded winder that's just a dream to use. Totally silent. Portable and with battery backup. Definitely does not overwind. If you put like a 10% power reserve watch in there it will slowly bring it up to 100% over 4-5 days. The cost is about 10x a Chinese one though.
I’ve only had the Wolfe. In fairness it lasted a while, but for what they cost they should absolutely be repairable.

Were the cheaper one’s you got off amazon Benson winders?

I’ve only had the Wolfe. In fairness it lasted a while, but for what they cost they should absolutely be repairable.

Nah. Benson actually looks respectable. I got Chinese crap. Inclake sounds familiar. Maybe Chiyoda at some point in the past?

Nah. Benson actually looks respectable. I got Chinese crap. Inclake sounds familiar. Maybe Chiyoda at some point in the past?
I might give the Benson a shot. They seem to fit that mid-point with a good price to value position.

I have a few. Omega Aqua Terra in green, Tudor bb58 blue, sinn 556 mop.
Nice! All very cool watches and all likely future candidates on my ever growing wish list - lol.

Do you use a winder at all?

Nice! All very cool watches and all likely future candidates on my ever growing wish list - lol.

They’re great watches! I don’t use a winder. Winding and setting the time is a part of the enjoyment for me. I usually pick a watch I’ll wear for about a week so with the watch of the week it’s pick up n go.

Oh and you should download the watch crunch app if you’re into watches! Your list of watch wants will grow even more lol

So - follow up on Wolf Watch Winders. I have to say I can no longer recommend them for what they cost vs what they are. My left winder stopped working so after a little investigating I opened it up. Wow - so disappointing, maybe $25 worth of parts (being generous). Cardboard and glue construction with cheap tiny little motors. After some testing and swapping the motors, confirmed the PCB board went bad, maybe a $10 part.

With a current price tag well over $1500, and being non- repairable (they don’t offer replacement parts), I would suggest going in a different direction.

I could fix this in 10 min if they offered replacement parts..ughh. I will say it lasted a while, but would see no reason why alternatives at 1/3 the cost wouldn’t as well based on the parts.

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

IMG_5983.jpeg

Forgot this pic. The winder is hot glued to the face plate:
IMG_5978.jpeg

Last edited:
Here was a total impulse auction buy. Didn't get the chips, but won this. Its not very rare or expensive, but loved the watch face and always wanted a pocket watch.

53843767866_e75fb27506_z.jpg

53844118574_81416d456a_z.jpg

53844030698_448e5b6022_z.jpg

The auction description said it wasn't in working order, but was able wind it and noticed the second hand started moving. I set it and checked back and it seems to work fine. From what I found online, watch was made by New York Standard Watch Co. in 1904c and Solar Watch Co 1865 was the Trademark of Benj Allen & Co.

Here was a total impulse auction buy. Didn't get the chips, but won this. Its not very rare or expensive, but loved the watch face and always wanted a pocket watch.

The auction description said it wasn't in working order, but was able wind it and noticed the second hand started moving. I set it and checked back and it seems to work fine. From what I found online, watch was made by New York Standard Watch Co. in 1904c and Solar Watch Co 1865 was the Trademark of Benj Allen & Co.
I’ve been looking for a nice pocket watch like that to wear on my work lanyard. Haven’t looked too hard yet but maybe it’s time to fire up the searches today after seeing this. What does that piece weigh roughly?

Just picked up this SJE093, awesome piece even with the hefty price tag for a Seiko lol.
View attachment 1372044
Probably my favorite looking dive watch and I’ve been thinking about getting it.

I have a SPB143 but the movement is crazy. On the wrist…over time…it’s pretty accurate. But on a timegrapher it’s all over the place with positional variance. Anywhere from +5 to -14spd. At month 6 it’s started losing 30spd and I sent it back. It’s better but not ideal. On the wrist it often averages out to be about +/-3spd but some days it’s -8 and others it’s +5. Seiko needs to do a lot better before I spend more. To see if their better movements actually are better.

My Swiss watches…Omega, IWC, Rolex….and even more inexpensive models with ETA movements are all far more consistent than my Seikos.
IMG_2062.jpeg

Super cool! I been thinking about a Hamilton Railway Special, just to have. Not super rare, but good example of an early American Watch.
IMG_5955.jpeg

I’d love to get one of these for my desk. A little more pricey, but ridiculously cool (Hamilton Marine 21 Chronometer)
IMG_5957.jpeg

I’ve been looking for a nice pocket watch like that to wear on my work lanyard. Haven’t looked too hard yet but maybe it’s time to fire up the searches today after seeing this. What does that piece weigh roughly?
i'll have to check when i get home later today. i think its casing is sterling copper? Seems pretty heavy to wear on a lanyard.

Super cool! I been thinking about a Hamilton Railway Special, just to have. Not super rare, but good example of an early American Watch.
View attachment 1372176

I’d love to get one of these for my desk. A little more pricey, but ridiculously cool (Hamilton Marine 21 Chronometer)
View attachment 1372178

Those are very cool. After looking up that watch, i was thinking of a Hamilton or Ball, but not sure if i wanted to spend the money.

Probably my favorite looking dive watch and I’ve been thinking about getting it.

I have a SPB143 but the movement is crazy. On the wrist…over time…it’s pretty accurate. But on a timegrapher it’s all over the place with positional variance. Anywhere from +5 to -14spd. At month 6 it’s started losing 30spd and I sent it back. It’s better but not ideal. On the wrist it often averages out to be about +/-3spd but some days it’s -8 and others it’s +5. Seiko needs to do a lot better before I spend more. To see if their better movements actually are better.

My Swiss watches…Omega, IWC, Rolex….and even more inexpensive models with ETA movements are all far more consistent than my Seikos.
View attachment 1372154
Nice piece! The SPB143 is awesome too and at a price I could live with for a Seiko, haha. I just wish I could live with the dimensions!

At first I felt kinda bad about spending so much money on a 6L movement but the case dimensions were exactly what I was looking for with a diver. Hopefully I hit the Seiko lottery and there's an accurate movement inside my watch, lol.

Nice piece! The SPB143 is awesome too and at a price I could live with for a Seiko, haha. I just wish I could live with the dimensions!

At first I felt kinda bad about spending so much money on a 6L movement but the case dimensions were exactly what I was looking for with a diver. Hopefully I hit the Seiko lottery and there's an accurate movement inside my watch, lol.
At least the bezel looks like it lines up :cool

Those are very cool. After looking up that watch, i was thinking of a Hamilton or Ball, but not sure if i wanted to spend the money.
Same - lol. I want one, but not enough to spend the $$ right now :LOL: :laugh:

Tried the SPB451 the other day. That blue sunburst dial with the aluminum bezel made it very difficult to walk out without buying. I'm not sure about the 4 o'clock date window on an MAS62. No date would have worked. What you guys think?

2024-07-15_15-32-03_596 (2024-08-13T23_45_19.314).png

Anyone want a blancpain fifty fathoms?

Have box paper original strap. Bezel has been replaced with grand date bezel. Original bezel included

IMG_4718.jpeg
IMG_4370.jpeg

Tried the SPB451 the other day. That blue sunburst dial with the aluminum bezel made it very difficult to walk out without buying. I'm not sure about the 4 o'clock date window on an MAS62. No date would have worked. What you guys think?

View attachment 1372484
Date location doesn’t bother me, in fact I kinda like that it’s a bit different.

I’m not overly familiar with Seiko’s from a movement, etc., perspective. However, from a looks standpoint - I like it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom