Tiger Palace Chips - Are they worth the price? (5 Viewers)

Mint Paulson chips with objectively and community wide praised design elements.

Everytime direct from Paulson chips come to light, people love them and people hate on them.

Having seen the last couple of releases, it does appear that these are a bit more widely celebrated. BTPs had a thinner bell curve with people loving/hating more, no one remotely thought the SBs were tantalizing or beautiful as a set, the closest recent release in my opinion would be the RPCs.

These were also publicly sold which allowed for a greater hype train, people were able to gear up and prepare for purchases etc.

$1k average for chips wasn’t so insane, but definitely at the north end of potential pricing. Racks of chips are sitting at this price, so with the amount available and the price charged, you are looking at the very tip of the pricing.

Weren’t some of these chips priced as high as $1600 per rack?

In my opinion, no they’re not. But we all have opinions, right? I like more traditional colors. I do like some bright colors here and there, but every chip in the set looking radioactive? Not for me. If you do like your chips so bright you should be handing out sunglasses at the door? Yeah, they’re probably worth it. Especially if you want a full set with matching factory inlays.

I’d rather spend my money on leaded chips with textured inlays. But that’s easier said than done, and a lot of people don’t like waiting around or building in pieces. That’s half the hobby for me. But if you want instant gratification, yeah, there’s another check in the Tiger column.

Honestly, if you want mint Paulsons, you can probably get a set from the chiproom several times a year, at 25% the price. And they’ll play just as well. I would never suggest to anybody that the tigers are “worth their price.” But if you like them and you have $5k-$10k to blow, sure, what the hell.

What makes the Tiger Palace chips so special? Some are going for close to 1K a Rack and to me that is insane.
Gonna be some "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome going on, but like others said if people pay they're worth it. Consider it a toy, an art form, collector's piece, whatever you'd like. Clearly, in your mind, they're not worth it for that amount of money and that's alright. To other's, they are.

We can all agree there's no practical reason to want very expensive chips vs using dollar bills and quarters, but you can say that about a lot of hobbies and toys.

I could argue some of the Tiger chips were underpriced as the secondary market is clearly showing.
Underpriced or undersupplied?
Not sure there’s a difference, but I assume it’s the cash $5s that are blowing up? If that’s the case, that’s just because we’re maniacs with how many $5s we all think we need.

Some individual racks were priced at or exceeded $1,000 in price. The 600 piece cash sets were sold at a blended price of $6.46/chip for the primary set and $7.61/chip for the secondary set.

This is all subjective.

I purchased a secondary set and thought it was worth it based on the price of previous NAGB chips, the quality of spot patterns/colors and overall design. Convenience of having a playable set on day 1 was also a contributing factor (versus trying to assemble a set from the classifieds).

Not sure there’s a difference, but I assume it’s the cash $5s that are blowing up? If that’s the case, that’s just because we’re maniacs with how many $5s we all think we need.
Definitely two sides of the same coin. I personally think there are other denoms in short supply on the secondary market right now but yes in general many of us are maniacs.

Some people look at a Rolex date at MSRP and think it’s inconceivable. Others see a great deal. Yet others want a specific “inlay” or “spots” if you will. Some don’t even want a Rolex. All are valid and reasonable positions that coexist in a distribution.

No one needs more than 200 $5's for a single table cash set, no matter the stakes, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

No one needs more than 200 $5's for a single table cash set, no matter the stakes, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.
Oh boy here we go.
I’ll agree that for my .25/.50 game, I don’t NEED more than two racks of $5s. I have three racks and I might like a fourth, but that’s all luxury. But for $1/1 or $1/2, you’re really pushing the limits of that word “need.” Could those games be played with only two racks of $5s? Maybe. I’ve never tried. Only one barrel per player? It would stink.

It's only sensical to the small subset of the small subset of people in the world that care about poker chips at all, which translates to one person in the group of players I have games with. If you need to win the argument, is this stupid or not, i mean, i guess you win but still i love running a game with complete mint thc hotstamps, and the NAGB route is the only way really.

Oh boy here we go.
I’ll agree that for my .25/.50 game, I don’t NEED more than two racks of $5s. I have three racks and I might like a fourth, but that’s all luxury. But for $1/1 or $1/2, you’re really pushing the limits of that word “need.” Could those games be played with only two racks of $5s? Maybe. I’ve never tried. Only one barrel per player? It would stink.
Right, more than two racks is a luxury but not an absolute need. Get those upper denoms into play, I say!

What makes the Tiger chips so special?

(1) The relatively low price (vs prev custom Paulsons) for the lower cash denoms and hotstamps

As mentioned, although most of the higher denoms and complex spot pattern chips (e.g., NCVs) were priced north of $10/rack, the sets for sale averaged about $7/chip, which is a few dollars less than you would've been paying for a similar custom Paulson chip, and good luck getting it in ready to play quantities.

(2) The design of the chips to function in sets, particularly the cash sets

This is the real value to me.

As someone who has spent perhaps five years on and off fiddling with the CPC design tool and pondering a custom set, not to mention a lot of the last year buying tens of racks of individually nice THC and RHC racks that just don't quite click when combined, it's hard to overstate the value of a complete set designed by a pro (@JeepologyOffroad) that just looks so nice as a group hitting the felt. As sexy as the promo shots provided by @kk405 are, the photos of these things in stacks on board members' felts are the real pr0n for me.

Are they worth the price?

To me, the lower denom cash sets are worth it at KK pricing. The primary cash quarters, $1s, $5s and $25s particularly.

That said, while the more expensive Tigers don't seem to be as good a value to me, the fact is you're getting back nice chips.

Answer to OP’s title question: No.

And there’s a reason the total chip counts are secret.
There is context for some purchases though. I misread the listing for my limit set, I read it as "There are two available limit sets, white and yellow".

So I thought it'd be fun to gambol and grab one of only 2 precreated limit sets that existed, or be left with money that I could just put into other stuff if I didn't get it.

Didn't expect it to be unlimited limit sets for everyone along with those same racks now sitting for purchase individually as well. Should've gotten off the Barrie Go Round one stop earlier.

fool.gif

Weren’t some of these chips priced as high as $1600 per rack?

In my opinion, no they’re not. But we all have opinions, right? I like more traditional colors. I do like some bright colors here and there, but every chip in the set looking radioactive? Not for me. If you do like your chips so bright you should be handing out sunglasses at the door? Yeah, they’re probably worth it. Especially if you want a full set with matching factory inlays.

I’d rather spend my money on leaded chips with textured inlays. But that’s easier said than done, and a lot of people don’t like waiting around or building in pieces. That’s half the hobby for me. But if you want instant gratification, yeah, there’s another check in the Tiger column.

Honestly, if you want mint Paulsons, you can probably get a set from the chiproom several times a year, at 25% the price. And they’ll play just as well. I would never suggest to anybody that the tigers are “worth their price.” But if you like them and you have $5k-$10k to blow, sure, what the hell.
Shit!!! I agree with you.

:)

The overall design for the tiger sets seems to have been better received by the bougie crowd than previous NAGB sets.

But taste is always subjective. Designer went all out on design choices in terms of color pop. Some of the chips are pretty amazing. Although as a whole, it comes across with a 'crayola' aesthetic. If your poker room/man cave is bright and shiny with pastel colors, should be a good match. If you're going for a retro/old school vibe, not a good match.

Are they worth it? Who knows. That's a personal decision. If you can afford it, why not?

Oh boy here we go.
It's a non issue. We have $25s and $100s for a reason for higher stakes. More chip can me more fun, but definitely dont need more than 2 racks imo.

As for OPs question: leave while you still can.

And I could argue that some of them were (are) overpriced as they are sitting at 'original' prices.
lol it’s been a month. These chips could likely sell for years at this price.

And with no $1s, $5s, $100s (sold out) it’s tougher to build a cash set or tourney set now.

lol it’s been a month. These chips could likely sell for years at this price.

And with no $1s, $5s, $100s (sold out) it’s tougher to build a cash set or tourney set now.
I'm not arguing there isn't a market for them at these prices -- there certainly is. But to me, it seems the supply of some of these chips currently exceeds the demand.

Is it clear that the 1s 5s and 100s are sold out? I haven't been following the threads that closely (the chips are gorgeous but far out of my price range) but the wording is vague. I understand that some are listed as sold out, but in the OP of the sale it states that some racks may be held back, or something similar.

I'm not arguing there isn't a market for them at these prices -- there certainly is. But to me, it seems the supply of some of these chips currently exceeds the demand.

Is it clear that the 1s 5s and 100s are sold out? I haven't been following the threads that closely (the chips are gorgeous but far out of my price range) but the wording is vague. I understand that some are listed as sold out, but in the OP of the sale it states that some racks may be held back, or something similar.
The inventory appeared to turn in less than 45 days. I’m grading that as a huge success. The $1-$5-$100 are all sold out. Could he be holding back some reserves? Sure. That would be great inventory mgmt…if he still has/had doubled what he started with he would still be selling. Assumption and his hints have been he’s down to his reserves.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom