To Oil or not to Oil ? I am torn (2 Viewers)

Personally I think that’s part of the problem. Not all chips need to be cleaned and not all chips need to be cleaned so aggressively that they’re left “chalky.” And I put chalky in quotes because I usually use that work to describe factory mint Paulsons (which I also would prefer not to clean and would never consider oiling.) I’m not exactly sure why aggressively cleaned chips come out dried out and gritty. I’m not sure if it’s all chemical residue or if the ultrasonic cleaners have something to do with it. But many of the chips I’ve cleaned have done great with just warm water, dawn, and a scrub brush, and didn’t come out all desiccated and gritty.
If you haven’t figured out my little bias on this one, I think that in general, PCFers do more cleaning and oiling of their chips than is necessary, merely to interact with them. Just play poker with them!
Yeah these t100s were very lightly scrubbed I think I need to start just using dawn n water to soak and not use arm n hammer laundry detergent with the oxi clean in it

I have stated in other threads (years ago) but they too deep to find these days, US is never better than dawn and nail brush as far as preserving the chips. However if you must US then I prefer light solution of simple green and 40C. It almost always gets them clean and is more delicate IMO than other solutions. I had unacceptable results (for me) with other solutions like the fake TSP and or Oxy products. If you have to oil it to make it the orig color again then that is a no go for me. YMMV

Here is a before an after of a recent US i did of HSI whites, these were brand new before i used them in my home game.

20240505_160850.jpg

Easiest way to oil chips is to put a bucket of KFC in the middle of the kitchen table with no napkins anywhere and play fixed-limit 5-card draw for a few hours where all the chips in play have equal value.

It's also the most gross method.

Seriously, the bottom line is to first figure out how much mineral oil you need to use per 20 chips, and then cut that amount at least in half. Very easy to use too much oil; almost impossible to not use enough. Less oil is also easier and less effort to remove.

might have to go a whole other route after oiling the grape chips almost look brown but it does go decent with the Labels I got so there is that

just hate how long it takes to oil these I need to read up on how to oil quicker chip by chip is rough
How long since you oiled them. After it soaks in and drys, does the color “fade” closer to the non-oiled color?

How long since you oiled them. After it soaks in and drys, does the color “fade” closer to the non-oiled color?
those were oiled and left with a fan on them for about 12 hours then dried with a towel and they are still just super dark

but they def do look better oiled

just my oiling process sucks and hurts the hands after a while getting all the excess oil off the chips

I used to oil the entire chip and have switched over to just the edges recently. Much happier and a lot less time consuming.

My method is light amount of mineral oil in a micro-fiber towel (washcloth size) and then I wrap it around one barrel at a time and turn the barrel 2-3 times in the cloth. Gets all edges oiled and is quick and easy.

I used to oil the entire chip and have switched over to just the edges recently. Much happier and a lot less time consuming.

My method is light amount of mineral oil in a micro-fiber towel (washcloth size) and then I wrap it around one barrel at a time and turn the barrel 2-3 times in the cloth. Gets all edges oiled and is quick and easy.
yeah I have been doing just hold a barrel in my hand and put a couple drops of oil then spread it in with a Qtip only thing that sucks is some excess that gets on the face of the chip

I am gonna try the microfiber method that will prob be better thanks

As a followup, what I found best to oil the towel was I poured a small amount in a small bowl and then put the towel in the bowl and let it sit. The towel soaks up all the oil and will distribute it pretty much evenly throughout the towel. I then use these oiled towels over and over. Works best for even coating and no missed areas due to dry spots on the towel. 2-3 spins of the barrel ensures everything gets covered.

I oiled 247 chips last night, well I gave them a quick bath, then oiled

I took 2 microfiber towels, I put mineral oil on one (folded 4 times), oiled the rag 1'' by 2'' long, took 5 chips and press down and turn (roll) the chips through the oil while dragging them across the 2'' field of oil. I stack them moving through the rack, then once they are all oiled, I start from the beginning with the new clean dry microfiber towel (the 2nd one) and dry them 1 by 1 spinning them in the towel / hand.

I also have a Netflix account.

only about 500 more to go

Just oil the sides imo. It has a more visible impact, it doesn't risk damaging labels, it takes substantially less time, and through shuffling/play the chips will pick up oil from peoples hands.

I’ve never seen oiling damage a label on a chip produced in the last ~30 years. Maybe that could happen with old paper labels but not recent Paulsons like these Jacks.

Aaaand with the oil/water method you barely need any oil. I can’t imagine using a saturated rag.

I have stated in other threads (years ago) but they too deep to find these days, US is never better than dawn and nail brush as far as preserving the chips. However if you must US then I prefer light solution of simple green and 40C. It almost always gets them clean and is more delicate IMO than other solutions. I had unacceptable results (for me) with other solutions like the fake TSP and or Oxy products. If you have to oil it to make it the orig color again then that is a no go for me. YMMV

Here is a before an after of a recent US i did of HSI whites, these were brand new before i used them in my home game.

View attachment 1365199
What concentration do you use with Simple Green?

Easiest way to oil chips is to put a bucket of KFC in the middle of the kitchen table with no napkins anywhere and play fixed-limit 5-card draw for a few hours where all the chips in play have equal value.

It's also the most gross method.

Seriously, the bottom line is to first figure out how much mineral oil you need to use per 20 chips, and then cut that amount at least in half. Very easy to use too much oil; almost impossible to not use enough. Less oil is also easier and less effort to remove.
Your wife must love your decision making in bed lol. Overthinking it son ! Lol. Never heard of too much oil hahahahaha slap it on it’ll dry up eventually!

I’ve never seen oiling damage a label on a chip produced in the last ~30 years. Maybe that could happen with old paper labels but not recent Paulsons like these Jacks.
Happened to my empress $25s and I barely put any oil on them I used a qtip on them

Attachments

• IMG20240806234741.jpg
    IMG20240806234741.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG20240807005018.jpg
    IMG20240807005018.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 41
Fast oiling is plenty adequate. Apply a couple dabs of mineral oil to a microfiber towel, then apply to the rolling edge of a barrel of chips. If done correctly, this leaves a very light film of oil on the edges. Enough to darken the edge but not enough to leave excess oil that can get under inlays. The oiling cloth itself has very little oil on it, nowhere near “saturated/wet”. Once I have done a rack this way, I “rock tumble” the full rack of chips in a towel, like Jesus cleaning his bowling ball, to diffuse the residual oil and distribute any excess. Fast, easy, and enough oiling to refresh drier chips after cleaning.
IMG_3419.gif

Thread where I documented doing my Harrah’s:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/chip-revitalization-weekend.121166/

Last edited:
@cpac54 just a few cap fulls (maybe 4-6) of simple green per about half full 6L, you need to experiment a little. 40C for about 2 min. That is all I ever do personally.

Fast oiling is plenty adequate. Apply a couple dabs of mineral oil to a microfiber towel, then apply to the rolling edge of a barrel of chips. If done correctly, this leaves a very light film of oil on the edges. Enough to darken the edge but not enough to leave excess oil that can get under inlays. The oiling cloth itself has very little oil on it, nowhere near “saturated/wet”. Once I have done a rack this way, I “rock tumble” the full rack of chips in a towel, like Jesus cleaning his bowling ball, to diffuse the residual oil and distribute any excess. Fast, easy, and enough oiling to refresh drier chips after cleaning.
View attachment 1370793
Thread where I documented doing my Harrah’s:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/chip-revitalization-weekend.121166/
How do you oil them so fast
This is the way...

No idea, I do not own any ASM but been good for paulsons. I still test a chip every time before doing bulk.

I got about 25k chips from tesorrs tunica and cleaned them in ultra sonic with some cleaner and them mimeral oiled. Looks good for a week and then just looks the same before you started.

View attachment 1365199
are

View attachment 1365199
US, me and you? United States?

View attachment 1365199
FWIW, I bet you those whites are suffering from color transfer, not from filth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom