What’s your biggest chipping regret? (1 Viewer)

Not harvesting THC CC 5s and 25s when I visited CC for my 21st. Only harvested slot tokens. 5s are now $25 worn and $50 mint.

Waiting so long to get the set I want. I've been letting my buddy be the primary chip guy and holding off. I finally pulled the trigger, and now it seems like some drama is impacting my core group of players, I don't know when I'd even be able to host or provide chips next. I guess at least I'll have them for the future...

I’ve got a lot that are mostly motivated by money lost, but I’ll sidestep those to say:

Rushing into my CPC set. I like what I have and it gets more use than any of my chips, but it’s not the perfect/forever set I was hoping to get because I limited myself due to budget and time constraints.

Selling my 2000 Paulson Pharaohs that I bought on CT group buy, and not being part of the WTHC group that was soon after the Pharaohs.

Do you still have those plaques? (might as well add future regrets)
Long gone. But they were the single most impressive poker item I’ve ever owned. Simply stunning. Matsui - accept no substitute.

I remember seeing them using matsui plaques for all-in markers at Encore Boston. I had to talk myself out of trying to steal one for a long time.

Really bummed I didn’t find chip board and these other Poker community websites in the early 2000s when I bought the BCC CDIs. The only avenue for THC at that time I thought was eBay and there was hardly any. Certainly not sets.

Long gone. But they were the single most impressive poker item I’ve ever owned. Simply stunning. Matsui - accept no substitute.
Agreed. I should’ve bought more
IMG_4546.jpeg

I sold a set of GopherBluesman GCR chips I regret selling every day. Then a 1200 chip set of inplay clays, and a set of 50mm GCR chips from a group buy. Then there was the 1700 Stardust Poker Mansion chips I sold for I don’t remember why the heck, and the 2200 bcc Fun nite set. And……. Basically everything I sold, including a casbah club tourney TRK set. F me.

Despite being OCD and studying, analyzing, reading, etc. everything on this forum, I pulled the trigger on my first Tina set too soon. In hindsight, i wish I knew then what I know now - more specifically, what I REALLY like in poker chips. I bought the samples. I looked at all the tribute sets. I studied the customs. I drooled over all the grail sets. Then I had a set designed, tweaked it until I loved it, got it in, and we rarely use it. Still really enjoyed the process, but I wish I had stepped back, took a deep breath, and asked myself what REALLY scratched the itch on a set of chips. End of the day, I'm out a few hundred. Nothing life altering. So the search goes on. Still love the chips and appreciate what I learned, but in hindsight, should have gone a different path. No harm no foul.

All that said - to you newbies out there, when you think you know what you want, STOP. Step back, and be objective. THEN and only then, place your order...!

Wish I'd skipped dice and slugged chips, started with some brpros or china clays and forgotten more expensive chips existed. Just kidding, haha...

3: I was a regular at Hollywood in Lawrenceburg when they decided to start raking 50c mustards out of small pots. One guy started buying them all up at the table and taking them home. They asked him to stop, but he didn't. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: He was selling them to a chipper friend. After they ran out of those, they tried to put snappers in the well and make the dealers drop those!!! That obviously didn't work very well, and finally they abandoned the 50c drop. I could have had racks and racks of those mustards.

2: Not harvesting Horseshoe Cincy $2s. Those are one of my favorite chips ever. I played with them when they were live, and they looked so cool in big stacks.

1: Selling my JACK Detroit set. It was so damn pretty. :cry: Never felted it once. Needed the money. Once the price got up to a certain point, I didn't have much choice. But I'd buy it back in a heartbeat now. (not my actual set...but same colors)

Attachments

• 20274.jpg
    20274.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180510_184648525.jpg
    IMG_20180510_184648525.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 44
  • A42B2494-50EF-4BB3-9A2D-F24ABFC7D556.jpeg
    A42B2494-50EF-4BB3-9A2D-F24ABFC7D556.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
3: I was a regular at Hollywood in Lawrenceburg when they decided to start raking 50c mustards out of small pots. One guy started buying them all up at the table and taking them home. They asked him to stop, but he didn't. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: He was selling them to a chipper friend. After they ran out of those, they tried to put snappers in the well and make the dealers drop those!!! That obviously didn't work very well, and finally they abandoned the 50c drop. I could have had racks and racks of those mustards.

lol, I have a rack or two, relabeled as Aztar 5000’s

2: Not harvesting Horseshoe Cincy $2s. Those are one of my favorite chips ever. I played with them when they were live, and they looked so cool in big stacks.

1: Selling my JACK Detroit set. It was so damn pretty. :cry: Never felted it once. Needed the money. Once the price got up to a certain point, I didn't have much choice. But I'd buy it back in a heartbeat now. (not my actual set...but same colors)
The jacks $5s and $25s are stunning!

@TheJestyr

I know where you can still see them in big stacks, if you’re ever near Boston…

IMG_8256.jpeg

Picking up #11 today, thanks to @KMac. Definitely one of my favorites.

My biggest regret is not buying WTHC around 15+ years ago when I first came in touch with them in a public game.

$1.25 per chip is just too expensive for me who just started working for a couple of years. I will have gotten such a headstart if I start chipping then

Not having what the whales were buying when they were at their peak feeding frenzy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom