Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (3 Viewers)

It's just a statcast metric to evaluate the performances of the players.
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

A lot of youngsters for an Old Timers Day. I went in 93... Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra... Fuck. Those were some awesome teams.
Yep players from a different era.....'93 was college years for me.

Here's the full crew:
Martin family
Munson family
Murcer family
Sweet Lou
Randolph
Etc etc.....
20240824_125912.jpg

Was at Dodger Stadium last night. Absolutely electric! Ohtani hit a walk off Grand Slam for his 40th hr of the year and stole his 40th base last night. 40/40 club. Living up to the hype!

Unfortunately, I was so busy taking it all in that I forgot to take any pics or video.

Last edited:
Was at Dodger Stadium last night. Absolutely electric! Ohtani hit a walk off Grand Slam for his 40th of the year and stole his 40th base last night. 40/40 club. Living up to the hype!

Unfortunately, I was so busy taking it all in that I forgot to take any pics of video.
And the fan dropped the ball! Hopefully, Ohtani got it.

Today they also honored the 2009 Championship team as well.

This was the closest I'll ever come to a foul ball. Guy 3 seats from me had a LASER hit right to him, I mean a rocket! Hit his hand and bounced up in the air 8 seats down in the next section that's how hard it was hit. He was shaking his hand the whole rest of the game.

This is getting hyped up and it's kinda cool in a way but it's the continuation of postponed game

Screenshot_20240825_072508_Facebook.jpg

But it will never be as cool as this

Screenshot_20240825_073147_Chrome.jpg

I watched the Mets vs Cubs game in 1982 where Joel Youngblood who had singled to give the Mets a 3-1 lead (off HOF'er Fergie Jenkins) was pulled from the game because he was traded to the Montreal Expos. He traveled to Philly and hit a pinch hit single in the 7th (off HOF'er Steve Carlton).

I'm convinced people who find baseball boring just don't know what's happening, but I will admit that televised baseball is far less exciting than live baseball. There are so many things going on at all times that the TV just doesnt capture. When you're there in person and can watch everything happening at once, even the time in between pitches can be fun to watch.

I played baseball as a kid/teen and I'm convinced that either you have to have played and enjoyed the game, or have an influential rolemodel/relative/loved one who truly loves the game when you're young and passes the infection love on to you.

It's the only game I can think of where the defense has the ball and a lot of the most interesting parts of the game either happen so fast it's hard to see what happened or require a lot more in depth game knowledge to really appreciate. Or both. The battle between the battery and the batting lineup comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I totally get why it seems impenetrable to newcomers without a trusted guide.

I played baseball as a kid/teen and I'm convinced that either you have to have played and enjoyed the game, or have an influential rolemodel/relative/loved one who truly loves the game when you're young and passes the infection love on to you.

It's the only game I can think of where the defense has the ball and a lot of the most interesting parts of the game either happen so fast it's hard to see what happened or require a lot more in depth game knowledge to really appreciate. Or both. The battle between the battery and the batting lineup comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I totally get why it seems impenetrable to newcomers without a trusted guide.
I played baseball thru high school but watching games with a friend of mine that played in the Rockies organization is what got me hooked on the game within the game. The little things are what do it for me - which pitch will he throw and where in what count, what’s the hitter trying to do given the defense alignment - small stuff like that (and it usually ends up deciding games).

It’s not really that much action, granted, but it’s a fun journey if you’re into the game (and I hated the idea at first but now i absolutely love the pitch clock).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom