Windwalker’s Chipping Journey in Pr0n0grAph1C Detail (23 Viewers)

Get in line, pal. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Are you wanting to have a deal-off?!

rupaul-drag.gif

Continuing along the slow roll of barrel pr0n of TRK chips usually not seen in quantity, this quarter pie is absolutely breathtaking. @leo822 tells me there are two versions: one with a black denom and one with a red. This is, obviously, the latter.

View attachment 925595
How come the edge spots don’t match the face on the top chips in the right and back stacks?

Edit to add clarification photo:
AEBC4EC5-2411-46BA-B9A3-140E423C96F7.jpeg

Last edited:
How come the edge spots don’t match the face on the top chips in the right and back stacks?

Edit to add clarification photo:

No idea, I don’t see it on the back one, but the one on the top right could be maybe an error where one of the spots bleeds into the next spot on the face because of a manufacturing thing in the 60s? Didn’t notice it, but I’ll take a couple more pics when I’m back home this afternoon. I’m in phoenix for the day!

I would imagine it’s just an interesting quirk of compression, but I look forward to some closeups too.

I had my assistant look for it and take a photo, looks like some of the red (orange?) spots bleed into the territory of the green. I’ve always known TRK manufacturing to have quirks, but am not knowledgeable enough to know if that’s because it was a manual process, or something to do with the clay compression.

2CC5B7A6-995A-4ADC-8EC9-26F9D95ECD66.jpeg

I had my assistant look for it and take a photo, looks like some of the red (orange?) spots bleed into the territory of the green. I’ve always known TRK manufacturing to have quirks, but am not knowledgeable enough to know if that’s because it was a manual process, or something to do with the clay compression.

This is interesting. I used an app called PhotoMeasure to see if the spots aligned in a square, and there’s a marked difference, creating a trapezoid in the error chip.

I asked her to take a photo of one of the chips with the black denom for comparison from the same angle, and the lines form almost a perfect square.

Do any resident TRK / manufacturing experts know why? Is it because the chip inserts used manual labor for compression?

DAAB3E13-474D-42E4-AC8D-8F2892492F29.jpeg

FFA0DAB4-DD84-49C9-8EA5-589F2A9BE0EC.jpeg

Last edited:
This is interesting. I used an app called PhotoMeasure to see if the spots aligned in a square, and there’s a marked difference, creating a trapezoid in the error chip.

I asked her to take a photo of one of the chips with the black denom for comparison from the same angle, and the lines form almost a perfect square.

Do any resident TRK / manufacturing experts know why? Is it because the chip inserts used manual labor for compression?

View attachment 925822
View attachment 925823
I'd say that it's just because the colors/material wasn't injected proportionately. I've seen quite a few chips on a quarter pie that had let's say a larger piece of a color than another. Just one of those little quirks with production when things were made. Although I'm sure they tried to keep things as consistent as possible, not everything was perfect.

Here's my guess about why the sectors of a quarter-pie might not be perfectly aligned:

The quarter pie chip is assembled out of a few smaller pieces which were punched out of larger sheets of clay. The assembled chip is still larger than the actual chip will be; it's still a slug that will get pressed to become the final chip. When the slug is put into the mold, that's done by hand, and since it's a manual process the slug isn't necessarily going to be perfectly centered within the mold.

When the chip is pressed, all the extra clay that's lying outside the mold gets clipped off, and what remains is perfectly round. But if the slug wasn't perfectly centered, then the "X" / "cross" made by the quarter-pie pieces won't be perfectly centered either, and the points where the X/cross touch the edge of the circular chip won't make a perfect square.

Here's my guess about why the sectors of a quarter-pie might not be perfectly aligned:

The quarter pie chip is assembled out of a few smaller pieces which were punched out of larger sheets of clay. The assembled chip is still larger than the actual chip will be; it's still a slug that will get pressed to become the final chip. When the slug is put into the mold, that's done by hand, and since it's a manual process the slug isn't necessarily going to be perfectly centered within the mold.

When the chip is pressed, all the extra clay that's lying outside the mold gets clipped off, and what remains is perfectly round. But if the slug wasn't perfectly centered, then the "X" / "cross" made by the quarter-pie pieces won't be perfectly centered either, and the points where the X/cross touch the edge of the circular chip won't make a perfect square.
That’s interesting. Would that account for a part of one of the colors “bleeding” slightly into the adjacent clay, if they were misaligned and then compressed, where the clay of one color on the side extends a bit into the adjacent clay color?

That’s interesting. Would that account for a part of one of the colors “bleeding” slightly into the adjacent clay, if they were misaligned and then compressed, where the clay of one color on the side extends a bit into the adjacent clay color?
I think only someone who's seen the pressing done first-hand can really answer that. But even just based on what David Spragg has shared about how things work at CPC...

The material chips are made out of gets very soft and squishy during the pressing process, which makes its behavior quite variable and unpredictable. That's why no two clay chips are ever perfectly identical; there's natural variation induced by the combination of manual placement of the slugs and inserts plus chaotic movement of the material as it gets squished and squeezed by the mold in the press. Sometimes the extreme variability results in things like "split spots" (see this thread), and if that kind of movement of the clay can happen then I wouldn't be surprised if it could also cause the sort of "bleeding" that @GianThaMan noticed in your pictures.

View attachment 925822
View attachment 925841
Do the rest of the barrels have the same look?

Wonder if these could be culled from the original order. Not meeting quality control

( or actually they met quality control :unsure:)

Either way. Freakin love them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom