Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (31 Viewers)

Should I grab a few for JiJ?

Completely up to you, I'm sure it'll be enjoyed if you grabbed one. I haven't grabbed anything specifically for the meetup yet. I should probably post a whiskey roll call in the meetup thread....

If you’re an ECBP fan, there’s not one thing wrong with A124. It’s great and the ones who balk at the age statement on that one are making a big mistake. If there wasn’t a limit on them, that shelf would be at least 2 bottles lighter after I left :cool

^this^ not their best but certainly no slouch.

Last edited:
First time trying the 15 - definitely a nice step up from the 12, crazy tasty - cherries and dark chocolate :love:. I really need to grab a Port wood bottle to try.

20240428_205842.jpg

Donkey down!View attachment 1320092Got one more that I doubt will get opened for a while.

I have one bottle of this GB left and I don't wanna open it because it was top tier. The second GB, I have 3 more bottles and don't like it quite as much so no trouble filling the void by opening another one of those instead. Actually drinking some of GB 2 now.

Time for GB #3?

Question for the experts.
Willet and the color of the top.....
I saw the black(ish) bottle with the purple top. I guess that is Bourbon.
Then I saw a bottle like the purple top I have pictured on page 909ish .. but it was 10yr and had a green top. I thought all of the "older" Willet Rye's had purple tops.

This place had the purple top for 399, the 10 year for 499. A tad pricey, but not terribly unreasonable from what I understand.

Then I saw a bottle like the purple top I have pictured on page 909ish .. but it was 10yr and had a green top. I thought all of the "older" Willet Rye's had purple tops.

This place had the purple top for 399, the 10 year for 499. A tad pricey, but not terribly unreasonable from what I understand.
Purple tops are Bourbon. Green are Rye.

I could be wrong on this but I believe all the older purple tops were sourced. Now they distill their own. The black bottle with the purple top is a wheat mash bill that is their own product.

Most green tops are rye
Purple tops are bourbons
Some of the black tops are blends?
They also have wax tops which are $$$$$

I have one bottle of this GB left and I don't wanna open it because it was top tier. The second GB, I have 3 more bottles and don't like it quite as much so no trouble filling the void by opening another one of those instead. Actually drinking some of GB 2 now.

Time for GB #3?
I’d love to do another pick! I’m still disappointed that I couldn’t make it to the 2nd one. I had a blast doing the first one. If I’m being 100% honest, I would rather do a rye pick instead but that’s just one rye loving donkey’s opinion :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’m thinking rye might be a touch more difficult to get enough bottle commitments though.

Should I grab a few for JiJ?
Check that, if you haven't already grabbed it, don't. I forgot I had found one on sale last week and grabbed it. Too busy for my own good lately. If you did no worries, I can never have enough of these lol.

Nothing special BUT…they’re finally distributing to NC! Mrs Baroo grabbed this for me while out in the western Carolina mountains over the weekend. She recognized the name and thought I’d like one! Might just have to keep her :cool
IMG_7258.jpeg
we should be seeing the bonded and single barrels in bourbon and rye and eventually the 8yr bourbon as well as the 6yr malted rye.

I saw two New Riff single barrel bourbons at one of my locals today - one was $50 and the other $70. The latter appeared to be a store pick, had the extra sticker like the donkey bottle with the pick store (9th floor something). Assuming that's the deal with these New Riffs - they distribute "generic" single barrels and then the particular store picks run a little more?

Both looked to be bottle a couple of years ago

IMG_3607.jpeg

Bought this for my game, mostly for the entertainment value of the name and label.

Pretty typical of Japanese whiskeys which I favor, but others might dislike for the same reasons I like them… Lighter color, not an overwhelming % of alcohol, very drinkable without my having to be too precious about it.

Set me back about $50. As you can see from the picture, the guys didn’t like it at all.

Last edited:
View attachment 1321106

Bought this for my game, mostly for the entertainment value of the name and label.

Pretty typical of Japanese whiskeys which I favor, but others might dislike for the same reasons I like them… Lighter color, not an overwhelming % of alcohol, very drinkable without my having to be too previous about it.

Set me back about $50. As you can see from the picture, the guys didn’t like it at all.

I’m had a bunch of mediocre Japanese whisky but all of them have made a good highball

Well I guess now is as good a time as any to crack the Cal. Unfortunately I only have the 16, not the 15View attachment 1320751
Cal 16 took it

It had a more enjoyable drinking experience. More astringency and drank above its proof in a good way. The SH was medicinal cherry cough syrup. Probably more balanced of the two but that note killed it for me

I’m being super nit-picky btw. The SH is a fantastic pour

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom