Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (48 Viewers)

Are these super hard to find? Honestly, 101 to 110 is my sweet spot. And I also think Rare Breed drinks a bit below it's proof. I like it a lot. So I'm certain I would like this SB too.
Dunno, one of my locals had a ton of them, my others locals had zero. The "CN-" label for Camp Nelson, as @Klobberer notes, seems to be a good indicator on quality (WT has 2 or 3 other rickhouse campuses). I would say this drinks just a hair above it's proof, like 108ish. Seems to be a pretty good value for $60-$65.

Might as well continue on.....

20240503_192715.jpg

New gold spot is good. It’s going for crazy prices at some retailers but it’s worth retail. I like I a lot more than the earlier 9yo good spot.

This 19, got it on a lark to save on shipping and completely missed that it was cask strength until I took my first sip and my head snapped back. Damn near 120 proof Irish and dark as can be. She’s a gal.

IMG_3988.jpeg

Great start to the weekend! Crushed my Friday game last night, my mule delivered me a care package from West Virginia and I treated myself to a couple more bottles from last nights winnings.
IMG_7287.jpeg
IMG_7289.jpeg
I’ve never seen a Crown single barrel and at 103 proof, I’m hoping it gives it the backbone I’ve always said Crown needed. Looking forward to this one!

Dr Evil GIF

View attachment 1323228

You heard correctly..... ;)

This Kentucky Spirit is very nice. At 15 proof points lower than Rare Breed, it's almost not a fair comparison. It doesn't have quite the punch that Rare Breed offers, but it drinks very rich, complex and old. And a tad sweeter - kind of. Lots more honey, especially on the nose, this has an incredible nose. The palate doesn't quite follow up on the nose sweetness, but its still very good. Honey, vanilla, cherries and oak, lots of dry oak. Great oily mouthful and long finish, especially considering its only 101.

I love WTRB. I hated Kentucky spirit. They didn’t taste anything alike.

Great start to the weekend! Crushed my Friday game last night, my mule delivered me a care package from West Virginia and I treated myself to a couple more bottles from last nights winnings.View attachment 1323678View attachment 1323679I’ve never seen a Crown single barrel and at 103 proof, I’m hoping it gives it the backbone I’ve always said Crown needed. Looking forward to this one!

I had Old Soul white label and it was surprisingly really nice. I also have a OS 13 LR I haven’t opened yet.

IMG_1386.jpeg
IMG_1069.jpeg

New to me, and it was delish. Several of us gave it multiple pours and rave reviews.

I also learned a new saying to extend on the Liquor then beer, in the clear/Beer then liquor makes you sicker theme…

Margaritas then scotch then more whiskey makes you horny and really really really ill.
IMG_8196.jpeg

Exactly. 1920 is just as good or better, higher proof, easier to find, and half the price.

I pulled out a bit of 1920 to compare, and I wouldn't go quite that far, at least based on this first taste. I feel like the 1924 punches well above its proof, the spiciness of the oak makes up for the lack of proof. And again, this nose is just next level incredible. The age on this is very noticeable, it's full flavored and mature in a very good way. I'm leaning toward it being a decent step up from the 1920. But not a 2X step up. 1920 is one of the best values in bourbon. I'd happily pay $80-$90 for 1924 and buy it by the case. At $100, I'd buy a bottle or two here and there. At $125+, it's a once a year or less purchase.

New to me, and it was delish. Several of us gave it multiple pours and rave reviews.

I also learned a new saying to extend on the Liquor then beer, in the clear/Beer then liquor makes you sicker theme…

Margaritas then scotch then more whiskey makes you horny and really really really ill.
View attachment 1323885

My advice would be to look no further into the Glendronach rabbit hole, lest your wallet be spared lol

I pulled out a bit of 1920 to compare, and I wouldn't go quite that far, at least based on this first taste. I feel like the 1924 punches well above its proof, the spiciness of the oak makes up for the lack of proof. And again, this nose is just next level incredible. The age on this is very noticeable, it's full flavored and mature in a very good way. I'm leaning toward it being a decent step up from the 1920. But not a 2X step up. 1920 is one of the best values in bourbon. I'd happily pay $80-$90 for 1924 and buy it by the case. At $100, I'd buy a bottle or two here and there. At $125+, it's a once a year or less purchase.
100% agree with this assessment. The nose just might be one of the best my honker ever sniffed. Truly special! I love 1920 and I always have one in the cabinet but I’d regularly keep a 1924 as well if I could find them consistently.

Yes, the nose is fantastic. And the age is definitely there. I think $90-100 would be correct value.

View attachment 1323885
Glendronach is my go to if someone asks me what does sherried scotch taste like. Glendronach 21 is worth getting, particularly if you can get an older bottle, to decide 'is sherried scotch my jam'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom