Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (41 Viewers)

IMG_7226.jpeg

Got a Russell’s 13 sample coming up next

Finding ECBP backups has been very lean lately. I could have bought cases of A123 and B523, but I’ve seen just one A124 so far and I had to outsource my C923 for a slight premium. It’s getting bad around here. Larceny BP hasn’t been much better.

It's funny, the initial release of ECBP A124 around here was crazy lean, all stores were limiting 1 per purchase. A month and a half later, now it's everywhere.

Next!

20240425_220926.jpg

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

This has gotten substantially better with some breathing time. :unsure:

Oh man, I'm going in the wrong (or maybe right) direction. Went to get dinner before a show last night, but the wait was too long. Popped into the best liquor store next door while my wife was in the car. Bought 2 bottles, put them in the trunk (stored safely) and carried on. I didn't tell her what was in the bag, outside of a "$39" bottle (which was actually $59), or the 2nd bottle in the bag.

Also JUST now realized that I left them in the car, totally forgetting that I even had them. I'll be opening one of them later today, but they both work for today..

Yeah .. when you forget you buy bottles .... oh no

Oh man, I'm going in the wrong (or maybe right) direction. Went to get dinner before a show last night, but the wait was too long. Popped into the best liquor store next door while my wife was in the car. Bought 2 bottles, put them in the trunk (stored safely) and carried on. I didn't tell her what was in the bag, outside of a "$39" bottle (which was actually $59), or the 2nd bottle in the bag.

Also JUST now realized that I left them in the car, totally forgetting that I even had them. I'll be opening one of them later today, but they both work for today..

Yeah .. when you forget you buy bottles .... oh no
I keep a box in my trunk for that very same reason. It’s big enough to hold 3-4 bottles and is filled with pieces of bubble wrap and a few inflatable bottle sleeves.

One Saturday a few months ago Mrs Baroo had to take my car to the grocery store when hers was in the shop. I get a phone call from her an hour later asking since when did I start hiding bottles in my car…I completely forgot that I grabbed a couple of bottles while out and about running errands a few days earlier and forgot to bring them in :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That was a fun conversation when she got home:tdown:

Happy Fryeday!
IMG_7239.jpeg
This is really good! Probably a little better than I expected. The nose is outstanding especially when you consider the proof. I let this rest for almost 30 minutes while I set up the garage for our regular cash game. Each sniff was very different. Bright citrus and rye turned into musty oak and caramel that turned into assorted fresh cut grasses, woods and some pine needles thrown in. I get all of those notes in various stages of the palate with a real nice rye spice to tie everything together. You can easily tell it’s 95/5 MGP and it’s delicious. The finish is where you can tell its age. A nice rich oak with a hint of cinnamon start off before it starts to dry ever so slightly. The rye spice seems to hang out for days.

What the extra age brings to this bottle reminds me of is just how much the extra age improves Knob Creek 12 over the 9. It’s a dramatic difference and if blinded, I don’t think many would guess Bulleit 12 is 92 proof. It doesn’t drink hot one bit, but the richness and depth of flavors it offers screams this is at least 100 proof or more. I’m so glad I grabbed two just in case these fly off the shelf of the store I found them at! At $55 I think this is a steal :cool

Happy Fryeday!View attachment 1318873This is really good! Probably a little better than I expected. The nose is outstanding especially when you consider the proof. I let this rest for almost 30 minutes while I set up the garage for our regular cash game. Each sniff was very different. Bright citrus and rye turned into musty oak and caramel that turned into assorted fresh cut grasses, woods and some pine needles thrown in. I get all of those notes in various stages of the palate with a real nice rye spice to tie everything together. You can easily tell it’s 95/5 MGP and it’s delicious. The finish is where you can tell its age. A nice rich oak with a hint of cinnamon start off before it starts to dry ever so slightly. The rye spice seems to hang out for days.

What the extra age brings to this bottle reminds me of is just how much the extra age improves Knob Creek 12 over the 9. It’s a dramatic difference and if blinded, I don’t think many would guess Bulleit 12 is 92 proof. It doesn’t drink hot one bit, but the richness and depth of flavors it offers screams this is at least 100 proof or more. I’m so glad I grabbed two just in case these fly off the shelf of the store I found them at! At $55 I think this is a steal :cool
make an old fashioned with this.

k, thanks.

Happy Fryeday! Starting off with KC cask strength rye 2009 from @Irish
PXL_20240427_003121418.jpg

Missed posting last night, was at a home game and host had a bottle someone gifted him that was actually pretty good. Don't know what it costs, but if it's $30-40 I'd probably keep a bottle on hand. Reminded me of buffalo trace but better.

PXL_20240426_050700434.jpg

Celebrating my wife & I's 21st anniversary this evening, so I wanted something special to follow up a nice old fashioned at dinner. So I turned to an incredible sample from @Billy Baroo :cool

20240426_211437.jpg

Kentucky Owl Batch 4 "Last Batch"

Nose: lovely rich red fruit - plums and dark red grapes, molasses, vanilla, balanced by a dark oak and spicy rye background. Some subtle dark chocolate too. Full but not overpowering, the kind of nose you can really breath in fully and enjoy.

Palate: very bright and spicy in the first sip, a flavor assault - vanilla, grape, citrus, rye, mint allspice, cloves and peppercorns, giving way to fresh spring-like notes, like fresh mown grass just before a storm. Dries a bit as it sits with more medicial/baking spice and oak char coming through, but never quite ovetaking the bright sweetness. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but also very spicy and tingly on the tongue. Lots and lots and lots going on here!

Finish: medium to long with lots of rye, dry oak and baking spice notes, red hots and cinnamon. The spice holds on for quite a while. The intensity fades after a bit, but the subtle flavors lingers for much, much longer.

Thanks again @Billy Baroo !

Celebrating my wife & I's 21st anniversary this evening, so I wanted something special to follow up a nice old fashioned at dinner. So I turned to an incredible sample from @Billy Baroo :cool

View attachment 1319035

Nose: lovely rich red fruit - plums and dark red grapes, molasses, vanilla, balanced by a dark oak and spicy rye background. Some subtle dark chocolate too. Full but not overpowering, the kind of nose you can really breath in fully and enjoy.

Palate: very bright and spicy in the first sip, a flavor assault - vanilla, grape, citrus, rye, mint allspice, cloves and peppercorns, giving way to fresh spring-like notes, like fresh mown grass just before a storm. Dries a bit as it sits with more medicial/baking spice and oak char coming through, but never quite ovetaking the bright sweetness. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side, but also very spicy and tingly on the tongue. Lots and lots and lots going on here!

Finish: medium to long with lots of rye, dry oak and baking spice notes, red hots and cinnamon. The spice holds on for quite a while. The intensity fades after a bit, but the subtle flavors lingers for much, much longer.

Congrats to you and Mrs. Irish. I will hit 20yrs in August. We just hit 25yrs together.

View attachment 1319035

Congrats on your anniversary. My wife and I are celebrating 23 years on Sunday. :)

Congrats to you and Mrs. Irish. I will hit 20yrs in August. We just hit 25yrs together.
Thank you and congrats to you as well!

Second sample pour of the night you may recognize, another great one on the other end of the rye spectrum. Spicy banana nut bread!

20240426_220352.jpg

Oh man. Don’t drink the Coy Hill tonight! I want to have that when you do and I’m not home.
All good brother, this is my last pour tonight. I'll give you the heads up on that one :tup:

View attachment 1319035

Congrats on your anniversary! I’m glad you enjoyed the sample. I absolutely love that bottle. Definitely my favorite rye and might just be the best whiskey I’ve ever had up to this point in the journey.

It’s really good! Easily the best double oaked bourbon I ever had. Very similar in profile with EC toasted, but the extra age and proof this adds gives it way more depth in flavors and complexity. Crazy long finish too. Since they’re single barrels, I have to imagine that there’s some clunkers out there though.

Is it $200 good? Probably not to most, but this was my Christmas gift from Mrs Baroo and I’m very happy to have it! Definitely a splurge purchase if you really like double oaked whiskey.
Check this out...

Ps - skip to 13:30

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom