AKo in mid possition. (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Playing $1/$1 live, eleven handed (better to play with us all at the table for social reasons than split into two smaller tables). The table is exuberant. Dinner was a huge hit. Everyone seems ready for good time. It is about as good a table mood as I might wish for - not for making money so much as the health of the game.

Cast of characters.

Very brief notes preflop - more information later. Stack sizes range from $50 to $400

SB = TAG
BB = passive rock
UTG = Ultimate Calling station
UTG+1 = TAG
UTG+2 = folded (Old man coffee)
MP1 = LAGtard
Hero is MP2 playing $400, covers everyone
MP3 = loose/wildcard
HJ = L/P
CO =L/P
Button SL/AP

The hand:

UTG straddles for $3
UTG+1 and MP1 call $3, UTG+2 folds.

Action on Hero holding :ac: :ks: Limp or raise, if raising how much? This table will fold to Hero's raise, but we might go eight handed if Hero limps. Not out of the question to take down the pot by raising huge. There is only a marginal hope of a raise, so a check/raise plan often will lead to a massively multi-way crowd to see a flop.

DrStrange

10 seems like a good number, pot sized raise. Not likely to get a lot of folds I would suspect. I would't be continuation betting into a large field unless the A or K comes on the flop

Big table by the way. 11 handed you are likely going to be 3-4 to the flop

raise $16 - $18 ... limit the field with AK and hopefully force out players with better position

Limp/raise big. I Dontrelle want to take down the this small pot. Plus it mixes up my play. If nobody raises and i completely miss I'll just go away quietly

Raise to $20. This ain't the kiddie pool.

*** on to the flop ***

Hero raises to $13 or $10 on top.

Folds all around till we get to the Ultimate Calling Station, who calls. One more fold brings us to MP1 who also calls.

Three way action, $44 in the pot.

Villain reads:

UTG is the Ultimate Calling Station, playing $250. Still on his first buy-in. His name says it all. One thing of note - this player's favorite hand is 85. He will play it for essentially any amount of money is the mood strikes. To be fair, any two cards are high up on his list of great cards. I would range him wide open for now except not pocket aces.

MP 1 is playing $75, having lost one buy-in already. Hyper loose, weirdly split between calling station and overly aggressive. Has two betting tells, one is a micro bet that means weak or bad draw and an aggressive jam of an overly large bet that means bluffing/weak hand. You'll lose a lot of money to this villain on nights when he has the cards. On other nights, it is like he is showering the table with gifts.

Flop is :kd: :8c: :4c: Hero holds :ac: :ks:

The Ultimate Calling Station checks. MP1 bets $5. This is a betting tell. He holds a weak hand and wants to block - not an air ball but a hand like :7c: :5d: or :ah: :4s: or :8h: :7d: He is not bet/folding all the time. There is a chance MP1 would call a raise, he might even jam all-in in rare cases turning his hand into a bluff.

Action on Hero. Hero owes $5 to call, or he can fold, or raise. What should Hero do?

top pair and top kicker, I'd be raising probably halfish pot - $20. However there is a flush draw out there!

Of course. I won't speak for others but what i meant was my plan is to bet about 2/3 the pot and that 5 bet did not change my plan.

*** So far, so good {maybe} ***

Hero bets $50 all day or $45 on top. I think this was a tad too much, since hero's target is getting the $5 bettor's stack. The flop is somewhat dry, no reason to over price the calls.

The Ultimate Calling Station calls. For what it is worth, I thought he looked really comfortable making this call. Not like he is drawing, more in the form of he likes his hand.

MP1 thinks for a bit, says "I think I am folding the best hand" and folds. Drat - I am sure he didn't have the best hand.

$149 in the pot, heads up. Effective stacks are $187. Hero holds :ac: :ks:

Turn is < :kd: :8c: :4c: > :5h:

USC checks. Before Hero can ponder much, villain says "better be careful, I might have two pair"

Action on Hero, bet or check? If betting, how much?

DrStrange

I agree with the bet size on the flop. The verbal action from the villain is interesting. I don't think he would say it if the actually had two pair and would feel the need to disguise his hand. With 150 in the pot now I am still betting, but probably a 60 percent pot sized bet now rather than 75 percent

I like that 100 bet too. His verbal action makes me feel like he has club draw or gutshot looking for a free card.

Half the pot, 75 - I want the bet to be somewhere between value and expensive. Happy to take it down before the river.

Subscribing to thread with interest.

For what it's worth, I'm with slisk and would bet $75 here. Hero's missed his target (the $5 bettor's stack) but has built a descent pot. To win here at the turn is a solid win, but if the calling station has played (say) 4/5s and made a two pair, then so be it. They (the stations) sometimes crack good hands but it's rare and Hero will make back the loss by the night's end.

I would have bet $40 in the flop, so that if ultimate calling station called, and lag jams, you could still rejam. As played, I just jam the turn. His verbal declaration smacks of weakness, and he is the ultimate calling station after all.

*** Hero decides! ***

Hero decides he believes villain this time and checks behind. (Though I agree in principle that this hand should be played for stacks.) Hero is expecting a river bet from villain and likely will just call.

$149 in the pot, heads up. Effective stacks are $187. Hero holds :ac: :ks:

River is < :kd: :8c: :4c: > :5h: :3d:

Villain checks. Does Hero stick with his read and check or should he bet the river? If so, how much?

If you are comfortable with your read, then I don't see a reason to risk more with just top pair.

Would villain call a pot raise at this point? Meaning, is that a typical thing for him to do?

Yes, this villain is a calling station, He would call with a wide range of top pair hands but likely not with lesser hands. I think he would call a lot wider facing a less than half pot bet.

I think if you believed him on the turn not much has changed right? His verbal action on the turn suggests draw IMO, no way he has 85 here. I would have more than likely bet the turn and played for his stack on the river. If he has 85 then I knuckle and move on but highly doubting this based on his action even though he is a calling station.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom