Backgammon Sets (1 Viewer)

I think I'm going to see if my wife wants to start playing. Ill have to Google the rules. I don't remember shit about how to play

Oh uh...

Why did I click on this thread? :(

I played nearly everyday after school in my teens. If you can imagine a bunch of long hair stoner looking musicians sitting in a garge hunched over a backgammon board. It was quite a scene and I was super into it. This is ignighting a fire that I was sure was out lol.

LoL.. my late teens I was playing with a group of friends, some jamaican, Really enjoyed it. there was only one board and it was winner stay on. no doubling cube.
Loser has to start rolling, and i'm not talking about the dice. :)

I think I'm going to see if my wife wants to start playing. Ill have to Google the rules. I don't remember shit about how to play

My wife really likes the game, but unfortunately she is the least competitive person i have ever met in my life.

Which is polar opposite to how i play games. So we'll play but will not be the way i want to.

My wife really likes the game, but unfortunately she is the least competitive person i have ever met in my life.

Which is polar opposite to how i play games. So we'll play but will not be the way i want to.

Colleen is the exact same way. Drives me crazy.

LoL.. my late teens I was playing with a group of friends, some jamaican, Really enjoyed it. there was only one board and it was winner stay on. no doubling cube.
Loser has to start rolling, and i'm not talking about the dice. :)

I liked the post even though I didn't understand most of it

My son on the other hand might be note competitive than I am. It made for dinner interesting games if chess. Took him about 6 years to beat me lol

ARISE THREAD !! I summon thee from the grave.....

I never did buy a board.

I'm back in the rabbit hole.

to summise my priorities:

1). Board size = 19 to 22 inches

2) Checker size = 1.75"

3) board fabric = microfiber or similar./ leather 'ok'

4) Quality.

always with the Champagne taste and beer budget.

:love:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 8.52.20 AM.png

ok... i've narrowed it down to a couple of brands

this will be our "nice" board that should last us years so I don't mind splurging a little.

Any feedback appreciated.

The contestants are:

1)
Brand - FTH
Case - Faux leather.
Board fabric - Merino wool & wool points
Board Size - 24". (On the larger size. would prefer 21")
Checkers - 45MM (1.75") Might replace with Zaza & Sacci Checkers (Grizzly)
https://gammonstuff.com/special-edition-fth-backgammon-boards/autumn-cognac-sand-red-green.html
$995

2)
Brand - FTH
almost identical specs. just different color scheme
https://gammonstuff.com/1.75-inch-45mm-tournament-size-fth-backgammon-boards/green-blue-gray.html
$895

3)
Brand - Zaza $ Sacci
Case - Leather
Board Fabric - Microfiber
Board size - 20"
Checkers - 1 1/2" X 5/16"
$806 with 10% off
https://www.gammonvillage.com/backg...crofiber_backgammon_set_model_zs425_black.cfm

4)
Brand - Zaza & Sacci
Case- Leather
Board Fabric - Leather
Board Size - 20
Checkers - 1 1/2" X 5/16"
$1075 with 10% off
https://www.gammonvillage.com/backg...r_backgammon_set_model_zs501_medium_black.cfm

5)
Brand - Gammon Village
Case - Eco Leather ??
Board Fabric -microfiber (cushioned)
Board Size - 21 3/4"
Checkers - 1 3/4" X 1/2". (Would change these out for Zaza & Sacci checkers)
$715 with 10% off
https://www.gammonvillage.com/backg...set_champion_class_black_case_green_field.cfm

6)
Brand - Freistadtler
Case - Leatherette
Board Fabric - Micro fiber
Board Size - 24 1/2"
Checkers - 1 3/4 X 3/8". (Would change out for Zaza & Sacci.)
$1166 with 10% off
https://www.gammonvillage.com/backg...ries_tournament_backgammon_set_model_310z.cfm

Nice unboxing video of FTH board.

I know yooz are on edge of your seats....

I went with FTH

the only down side, which may not even matter, is I want to get different colored checkers. The stock ones are 45MM. seems like any decent replacement checkers are 44MM (Zaza & Sacci)

Will the 1MM difference be noticeable? @BGinGA
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 11.51.59 AM.png

New board came in and LOVE it.

dislike the stock checkers

so I found on eBay a Crisloid board with checkers I like
5264B75D-883A-4C09-8E63-72BDB63D1D13.jpeg

82E60954-E1DD-4F09-92B1-D22C26A0E419.jpeg

Final result..

5271F315-A7AA-4BF2-B6BC-9B7F7CBE842A.jpeg

Yesterday my wife decided she NEEDED her own set. LOL.

She’s already ordered a Zaza &Sacci 19” board
AND
A custom Crisloid 20” board. Good lord.

AND
She wants the option to use Bakelite / catalin checkers. So we’re buying everything in site from eBay

good lord.
we only need 1 person in this relationship with a collecting disorder

i've always been interested in learning backgammon with the wife, i might have to try to find a decent entry-level set on Amazon.

We’ve been playing a couple games every day/ night now instead of TV. It’s great

a few arguments early on as she’s not competitive and I’m teaching her that sometimes you have to hit the other opponent :rolleyes:

She’s getting the hang of it

it’s improved my game too. To have to explain why one move is better than another.

Last edited:
I wish we weren’t in lockdown again at my house. I’d totally play backgammon with you. My GF wants to start back up to after her licensure exam in a couple weeks. I don’t want to spend that much money, but I’ve wanted a nice backgammon set for years.

I wish we weren’t in lockdown again at my house. I’d totally play backgammon with you. My GF wants to start back up to after her licensure exam in a couple weeks. I don’t want to spend that much money, but I’ve wanted a nice backgammon set for years.

Ive gone overboard. Its a sickness.

Im ready to play. @Jimulacrum too. LETS GOOOOO!

So I bought a new set, and some new stones. I’m just glad I’m not going back into chess or go right now.

I bought a 21” Wycliffe Bros. set and some alternate 1.75” colored stones that I hope will fit in the case. I went modest compared to some of the sets I saw and liked, but I’m not a big enough enthusiast to spend as much on a backgammon table as a custom build bass. I am looking forward to the upgrade over my current set though.

Have light green and white on the way too.

here's the current collection:

BCF6B39A-C311-4884-9EC7-0E74D9C72249.jpeg
CA6A3DD6-9070-47D9-80FA-C6754F5A2AE5.jpeg

4F0B0767-6F66-4CAA-848D-EAC09B972EE7.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got a ups notice. My set is our for delivery. It’s low end compared to some of the sets the serious players have, but probably the nicest set ive ever played on. Maybe the ceramic hybrids of backgammon sets? Pics soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom