Chip Values (3 Viewers)

Broski

Pair
Reaction score
So, smallish rant here from a complete newb. Browsing the classifieds I come across a wanted ad where 2 member are virtually going at each other because the OP did not list in the ad exactly what he wanted and what price he was willing to pay. This now poses a question for the chipping Gods here on PCF.

If there are parts to my set that I need to find. Say fracs for example (seems like a lot of people looking for these). What do I post if I don't know what it is that I want. I don't know the difference between THC, RHC, SCV, WHTC. I have no idea where pricing comes from on chips. Some 1s and 5s sell for 1-2 each where others sell for 20+. What do us new guys do? And why snap at eachother because someone asked a question out of ignorance. It may be a dumb question, but if I don't know, I don't know.

So far I have had GREAT experiences on PCF, and can see the family/brotherhood aspect where most everyone looks out for and helps out others Let's keep it that way. Now, with that being said help me understand and learn. Please.

Rant over

If there are parts to my set that I need to find. Say fracs for example (seems like a lot of people looking for these). What do I post if I don't know what it is that I want. I don't know the difference between THC, RHC, SCV, WHTC. I have no idea where pricing comes from on chips. Some 1s and 5s sell for 1-2 each where others sell for 20+. What do us new guys do?
Take your time, be patient, and learn before going balls deep into buying without even knowing what is actually out there and values that are attached. Use the search function. Ask trusted vets for help.

You can ignore habitual whiny assholes and/or unfollow a thread here if you so choose (both are literally a button-push away). If you block someone they literally cannot post in your Classifieds thread. You'll be able to sort things out fairly quick in this regard. Make your own experience on PCF. It's very easy to do.

I think/hope that thread isn't representative of the community overall, and most wanted ads don't go that way.

You'll have to do some degree of your own research as a noob, both to find out what you want and to ensure that you're paying or offering fair value.

But I personally don't think there's any problem with general wanted ads like that. It gives members with more experience a chance to offer advice, and for the buyer to learn about potential options out there that they're not aware of.

Ask trusted vets instead of habitual whiny assholes for help.
Bah! Does everybody fall so neatly into one category or another?

IMG_1325.gif

What do I post if I don't know what it is that I want.

And here’s the rub. People don’t have stuff lying around like Walmart. I had to go up in my storage, dig through some boxes, and finally find the ones I was looking for.

Just to do a guy a favor.

Wanted: Chips. Don’t know what I’m looking for, but I’ll know it when I see it. PCF let’s see what you have, I’ll probably turn down 99.5% of it and I’ll lowball you on the rest. But don’t all rush to show me your possible wares, I just need one at a time until I’m thoroughly satisfied that they don’t have what I’m looking for. Also, don’t post in PM’s, please put all your pictures AND your offering price in this thread.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!!

So for example, where does pricing come from? Is there a book, website, and genie to ask? I don't say anything because I don't know, but pricing seems to be all over the place and I don't understand how that decision is reached. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I truly want to u5.

Bah! Does everybody fall so neatly into one category or another?

View attachment 1383889
I edited before your post to actually address/fix that.

I tend to like everyone besides scammers, so I'm fine with all the posts anywhere. I genuinely think all the poking etc is hilarious because ultimately it's all about chips, so who fucking cares? All the arguing is just this boiled down:
duty_calls.png

Any newbie feel free to PM me and I'll help you with the ignore/block functions or whatever else.

So for example, where does pricing come from? Is there a book, website, and genie to ask? I don't say anything because I don't know, but pricing seems to be all over the place and I don't understand how that decision is reached. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I truly want to u5.
Fair market value. Reread my first post. It's just something you learn over time and use the search function to assist with.

If you’d actually read that thread you’ll see that I offered what he was looking for and then I asked what his offer was. And all of a sudden that’s a horrible thing to do, present what a person is actually looking for and then ask what their offer is. Pretty offensive I know.

So for example, where does pricing come from? Is there a ybook, website, and genie to ask? I don't say anything because I don't know, but pricing seems to be all over the place and I don't understand how that decision is reached. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I truly want to u5.
it’s the biggest problem with this hobby and there are no easy answers. It’s all market driven, based on what people like and rarity. The only way to learn is to hang around for a long time and read everything.
You can read just the classifieds back for a couple of years and gain a pretty good feel for things.

Its pulled out of people's asses lol, not a stupid question. No kelly blue book here, just assholes arguing and buying/selling toys.

I think/hope that thread isn't representative of the community overall...
Absolutely not. At least not from my 2 months or so here.

And here’s the rub. People don’t have stuff lying around like Walmart. I had to go up in my storage, dig through some boxes, and finally find the ones I was looking for.
I get it. 100% If you had it on a shelf in the corner, it's easy to grab and say here ya go. Not everyone has things at their finger tips, and I would be most don't.

It appears to me that the burden of determining what “market value” is on the person trying to help, and the person with the want ad doesn’t have to do any research because the expectation is that the seller will do all the work, getting the chips out and doing all the research to see what the “value” is and making sure that they charge “full value” for them.

You can read just the classifieds back for a couple of years and gain a pretty good feel for things.

WTF? Why would they do that when the expectation is that the seller ALWAYS sets the price?

If you’d actually read that thread you’ll see that I offered what he was looking for and then I asked what his offer was. And all of a sudden that’s a horrible thing to do, present what a person is actually looking for and then ask what their offer is. Pretty offensive I know.
I personally loved when you acted like grabbing two racks of chips from the closet was going to be a reenactment of Passion of the Christ.

But at least you were offering the OP a solution to his ad, of course.

I personally loved when you acted like grabbing two racks of chips from the closet was going to be a reenactment of Passion of the Christ.

He was doing him a FAVOR by selling old chips he may have had! Out of the goodness of his heart! These whippersnappers don't know what its like to have racks of chips deep in a dusty closet.

More than any of the other normal complainers did. And yes it is a pain in the ass to help out newbs who don’t appreciate it

You should try it sometime, when you aren’t busy criticizing those that are already doing it.
IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4880.jpeg

He was doing him a FAVOR by selling old chips he may have had! Out of the goodness of his heart! These whippersnappers don't know what its like to have racks of chips deep in a dusty closet.
He was helping in the @ekricket way. It's an acquired taste. I appreciate it personally. If the OP was put off they can always move on or use a function to cope assist them.

Last edited:

More than you did.

A member asked about chips. I sent him pictures of what I had and asked for his offer.

If you’d actually read the thread you’d see that’s the case.

Wanted: Chips. Don’t know what I’m looking for, but I’ll know it when I see it. PCF let’s see what you have, I’ll probably turn down 99.5% of it and I’ll lowball you on the rest. But don’t all rush to show me your possible wares, I just need one at a time until I’m thoroughly satisfied that they don’t have what I’m looking for. Also, don’t post in PM’s, please put all your pictures AND your offering price in this thread.
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I so wanted to do a wanted troll thread like this one

More than you did.

A member asked about chips. I sent him pictures of what I had and asked for his offer.

If you’d actually read the thread you’d see that’s the case.
I've helped that member numerous times, we've spoken at length about how to run his game. Lot more time than offering to sell him old chips you don't use lol, that's not help that's just a transaction. You've got your role and you fill it. I don't have a closet full of old chips, you do, you're appreciated.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I so wanted to do a wanted troll thread like this one

Troll thread? That’s exactly what they post. Then you are the bad guy for at least trying to help him out, instead of mocking and belittling the people that are trying to help him out.

It appears to me that the burden of determining what “market value” is on the person trying to help, and the person with the want ad doesn’t have to do any research because the expectation is that the seller will do all the work, getting the chips out and doing all the research to see what the “value” is and making sure that they charge “full value” for them.

WTF? Why would they do that when the expectation is that the seller ALWAYS sets the price?
This is part of my point. I messaged a seller in a FB group last night. He sent me to his list of available chips (singles) and told me to send him back a list of the ones I wanted with a 1 time offer. He stated he would only accept or reject 1 time and that's it. My problem is, I go online, say to eBay (only other place than here I know to look) and the chips I wanted each have sold for 0.99 up to 10.00 or so. Other listing have each chip at 20 -75 and have been listed over and over. I don't know what to offer him. So I send an offer of 4-5 per chip. Then I basically get told I'm trying to lowball him and now I'm out a chance to buy any of them.

I've helped that member numerous times, we've spoken at length about how to run his game. Lot more time than offering to sell him old chips you don't use lol, that's not help that's just a transaction. You've got your role and you fill it.

Yay for you. Nobody is more virtuous on this site than you. At least that’s what you tell us constantly.

This is part of my point. I messaged a seller in a FB group last night. He sent me to his list of available chips (singles) and told me to send him back a list of the ones I wanted with a 1 time offer. He stated he would only accept or reject 1 time and that's it. My problem is, I go online, say to eBay (only other place than here I know to look) and the chips I wanted each have sold for 0.99 up to 10.00 or so. Other listing have each chip at 20 -75 and have been listed over and over. I don't know what to offer him. So I send an offer of 4-5 per chip. Then I basically get told I'm trying to lowball him and now I'm out a chance to buy any of them.

Yeah, somehow I’m the bad guy here too

Look I wasn't trying to start a war here. I am 100% trying to learn and gain knowledge. Nothing more.

Find people you trust, build relationships, ask questions.

In my friend group none of us know the value to everything, but we can ask questions, figure out what makes sense, and lean on each others knowledgebase to make informed decisions. No one entity or book can deliver that. Tons of great posts helping with differences in types that you can search for, and @Machine has done some great posts to collect that info to deliver to newer folks.

Everyone here generally just wants new people to enjoy the hobby and get what they want. You will rarely find people with other goals (there will always be shit bags, but compared to some forums, this place runs pretty clean).

Search a ton, look at years of really cool info, and find people who's designs or collections you dig and chat about chips. That's literally what everyone wants to do.

Look I wasn't trying to start a war here. I am 100% trying to learn and gain knowledge. Nothing more.
Lol. Welcome to PCF!

Remember we have spent years obsessing about tiny clay discs. In turn, that means we are all extremely special in our own unique ways.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom