Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (14 Viewers)

All I see is way too many chips getting in the way.

Guarantee that none of the 4-5 racks $5 chip proponents would ever carry 80-100 $5 bills in their wallets, they would have $20s, $50s (gasp) or $100s instead.

Guarantee that none of the 4-5 racks $5 chip proponents would ever carry 80-100 $5 bills in their wallets, they would have $20s, $50s (gasp) or $100s instead.
Except carrying/spending cash and playing with chips aren’t the same thing.

Except carrying/spending cash and playing with chips aren’t the same thing.
Except they kinda are, excessive and unnecessary is excessive and unnecessary.

@RocAFella1 @doublebooyah85
seinfeld-george.gif

If we were playing a cash game? Yes I’d have tons of 5s. Stacks and towers of checks I can't even see over. Sand may even turn to gold…

So do you load one beer into the fridge until you drink it since anymore is excessive and unnecessary? Not sure about your game but if we had 2 racks of $5s in our game every hand other would likely require change to be made.
No but I think one rack of beers in the fridge would be plenty for the night :) Especially since we mostly drink brown water and/or vodka....

So color up.

Having a restrictive breakdown is unique to PCF because members here like to use expensive chips, but do not have an unlimited budget. Therefore, we've destroyed dozens of keyboards to debate the "perfect" chip breakdown that maximizes the utility of limited funds.

Let the players decide the breakdown. Have multiple racks of workhorse chips on the table. Color up anyone who cannot handle a big stack.

So color up.

Having a restrictive breakdown is unique to PCF because members here like to use expensive chips, but do not have an unlimited budget. Therefore, we've destroyed dozens of keyboards to debate the "perfect" chip breakdown that maximizes the utility of limited funds.

Let the players decide the breakdown. Have multiple racks of workhorse chips on the table. Color up anyone who cannot handle a big stack.
Yeah @Tonysquander stop being cheap to ur guests and buy some workhorses.

As a host, I hate when people ask to color up because they can't manage their stack. Damn rookies must not be used to winning big pots.
I too hate when they ask for high denoms after I give them a rack of $5s for a rebuy

Yeah @Tonysquander stop being cheap to ur guests and buy some workhorses.
It’s not restrictive, my crew would rather throw those unneeded extra $5s in the pot and grab the $25s out of it. You guys should really try playing without 800 chips on a single table sometime. It will change your life (for the better) :)

I too hate when they ask for high denoms after I give them a rack of $5s for a rebuy
See even your players hate those excessive fives, they’re just too nice to tell you that you’re chip crazy.

I'm happy with my break down, I try to be efficient, trust me, my budget isn't as limited as some of the amounts of a given chip.

I don't know why anyone would want 200 or 400 quarters in play; I've seen guys with 35 USD in quarters in front of them. I don't even want to put them all in because of it. No one at the table in a .25/.5 game needs more than 5 USD in quarters. Big stacks are fine, but there is no need to slow down the game because you want to have more chips worth less than everyone else.

I'd take 1 20 and 3 5s over all quarters Everyday, every game!

As a host, I hate when people ask to color up because they can't manage their stack. Damn rookies must not be used to winning big pots.
It is rookies who want to color up, in my experience. But I think it’s just because they want a cool black chip or because “color me up” just seems like a cool thing to say.

I know the common thing in a lot of US cardrooms is to have plenty of $5s on the table. And I'm sure that works if you are used to it. (IMO not super efficient, but whatever) However saying one NEED at least 4 racks for a single table set is just plain wrong, lol. Saying one prefers it is obviously fair enough.

The issue with this debate for me is when rookies come asking for breakdown help and the PCF choir are simply shoutingh MOAR. It is honestly not helpful. The responses should be a bit more balanced.

If you can't imagine playing a 1/2game with 2 racks of 5s, I guess you simply haven't tried, because if you did you would realize it works completely fine. Sure, youll need more 25s, and they will be used more, but there is no issue with that. There won't be a lot of change making or anything annoying like that. Maybe it will feel a bit different at first if you are used to counting out bets with $5s.

If I only had 5s to make bigger bets it would make me super annoyed. Like when betting $50, it is the most obvious thing in the world for me to throw in 2x 25s. I guess people can get used to whatever they play most often though, so I guess I could get used to putting out 10 fives. Bigger bets though would get wierd though, like having to bet 32x $5s for a $160 bet since it's so much easier to do it with 5 chips. 1x 100, 2x 25s and 2x 5s.

I know the common thing in a lot of US cardrooms is to have plenty of $5s on the table.
You HAVE to have tons of fives on the table if you're raking the game. I can take you to any given game here in Indy and they all spread 1.3 million 5s, because they are all unground raked games.

in a 1/2 game I would say you CAN play with 2 racks of 5s but it will influence the way the game plays; I would say you ought NOT play with just 2 racks, at least 4 so that the bets can be more in line with the blinds.

I think there is a balance of chips per blinds, I think too few and it has a negative impact and too many can also have a negative impact on the game.

If you can't imagine playing a 1/2game with 2 racks of 5s, I guess you simply haven't tried, because if you did you would realize it works completely fine.
This is a fair point and I agree with the distinction between need and preference - but with the amount of money some folks plop down for their sets I imagine no one here wants their sets to work "fine."

I don't disagree that it works, but working fine is not flourishing. Give me dem stacks. Roll that Ritz reel, baby.

I know the common thing in a lot of US cardrooms is to have plenty of $5s on the table. And I'm sure that works if you are used to it. (IMO not super efficient, but whatever) However saying one NEED at least 4 racks for a single table set is just plain wrong, lol. Saying one prefers it is obviously fair enough.

The issue with this debate for me is when rookies come asking for breakdown help and the PCF choir are simply shoutingh MOAR. It is honestly not helpful. The responses should be a bit more balanced.

If you can't imagine playing a 1/2game with 2 racks of 5s, I guess you simply haven't tried, because if you did you would realize it works completely fine. Sure, youll need more 25s, and they will be used more, but there is no issue with that. There won't be a lot of change making or anything annoying like that. Maybe it will feel a bit different at first if you are used to counting out bets with $5s.

If I only had 5s to make bigger bets it would make me super annoyed. Like when betting $50, it is the most obvious thing in the world for me to throw in 2x 25s. I guess people can get used to whatever they play most often though, so I guess I could get used to putting out 10 fives. Bigger bets though would get wierd though, like having to bet 32x $5s for a $160 bet since it's so much easier to do it with 5 chips. 1x 100, 2x 25s and 2x 5s.
MOAR

You’re right, it will speed it up since it won’t take 5 minutes to count stacks and rake pots/stack chips every time.
100%.

What’d you bet? How much is that? Can you count it and make sure? are you sure? Split pot—oh geez stop everything down and so on and on. So much easier and faster using appropriate amounts and denominations.

Hell 1/2 my guys can’t count to 21 without taking their shoes and pants off.

You’re right, it will speed it up since it won’t take 5 minutes to count stacks and rake pots/stack chips every time.
Are you the one who said it was contradictory to have lots of racks of $5s but only one rack of fracs?
I think it’s a fair compromise - we like to have a lot of the good chips, but we don’t want to slow the game down with too many of the stupid chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom