CPC General discussion thread (5 Viewers)

Split spot - photo of Windwalker
View attachment 1009589
Is this it?
78BE1C3D-C6D9-4183-BCC8-73E020051DDA.jpeg

Some Paulson's also suffer from split spots. I believe I've seen them on the Outpost 20s. To be honest, a random split spot here and there would probably bother me a hell of a lot more than all of them being split. If the vast majority of them were split, I think it adds to the charm of the chip.

Some Paulson's also suffer from split spots. I believe I've seen them on the Outpost 20s. To be honest, a random split spot here and there would probably bother me a hell of a lot more than all of them being split. If the vast majority of them were split, I think it adds to the charm of the chip.
Honestly. I adore them now split. Scarlet was brindle and it adds to the charm 100%.

So, I am beginning to mess around with the chip tool and have noticed the caution sign on a lot of my potential combos. What does a “split spot” look like? Do most people pay the 20% up charge? @JeepologyOffroad @Eloe2000 @wonderpuddle
View attachment 1009566View attachment 1009567
I did not pay the premium despite multiple warnings for my set. I asked David at the time and he advised that he didn’t think it would be necessary. So I’d recommend just asking him when it comes time to order.

It seems like cpc has mostly corrected this issue they were having for a short time. I might have a split spot here and there but it’s not many at all and I actually prefer to have a few in the mix.

Here’s the thread where you can see more examples from when the issue was really occurring

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/split-spots-on-diamond-square-mold-from-cpc.68741/

So, I am beginning to mess around with the chip tool and have noticed the caution sign on a lot of my potential combos. What does a “split spot” look like? Do most people pay the 20% up charge? @JeepologyOffroad @Eloe2000 @wonderpuddle
View attachment 1009566View attachment 1009567

Other people are answering directly but I will add some context. About a year or a year and a half ago someone started a thread mentioning that a significant portion of their chips had significantly split spots (not just squished spots). It started a bit of an uproar and you can find that long thread if you look for it for more discussion. David explained that DG base colors and in particular DG base with weighted spots create a lot more split spots. This was right around the time I was ordering my sets and was concerned a little bit but when I submitted my order david started a conversation with me about my chips and despite the online warnings he really only had concerns with my $5. He was very helpful and answered a lot of questions and I decided not to pay the extra fee. My sets came with lots of extras and only a handful of split spots across both sets way way under the number of extras I received and my cash set is all DG base except for my hundo. Both of my sets then have zero split spots in the end.

It seems like after that thread perhaps some additional precautions were taken. You should expect some split spots but honestly it seems like everyone is having good experiences without paying the fee in this area recently. And David will talk you through it when you order.

Other people are answering directly but I will add some context. About a year or a year and a half ago someone started a thread mentioning that a significant portion of their chips had significantly split spots (not just squished spots). It started a bit of an uproar and you can find that long thread if you look for it for more discussion. David explained that DG base colors and in particular DG base with weighted spots create a lot more split spots. This was right around the time I was ordering my sets and was concerned a little bit but when I submitted my order david started a conversation with me about my chips and despite the online warnings he really only had concerns with my $5. He was very helpful and answered a lot of questions and I decided not to pay the extra fee. My sets came with lots of extras and only a handful of split spots across both sets way way under the number of extras I received and my cash set is all DG base except for my hundo. Both of my sets then have zero split spots in the end.

It seems like after that thread perhaps some additional precautions were taken. You should expect some split spots but honestly it seems like everyone is having good experiences without paying the fee in this area recently. And David will talk you through it when you order.
Well… I guess it depends…. I placed an order a few days ago, including two denoms with dg base colors …. after asking if the 20% premium will be necessary on these specific combos (because I read this stuff above in some threads), David highly recommended it (even that the Colors maybe ain’t that critical, cause others ain’t paid the premium on comparable color combos after asking him and everything was fine)… There was no big „talk you through it“, I got the feeling that he was very short on answering my questions, I guess he was very very busy… but nevertheless I am totally fine with paying the 20% premium… and I am really looking forward the shipping in about half a year or so… :love:

I also think, that my tiny 500 chip order won’t come with a big amount of extra chips… In an 600 chip add-on order in 2009 I received just 2 chips extra in each denom from ASM. In my first order in 2007 I received 25 extra chips in a 375 (shame on me) chip Order…. Maybe with the 20% premium there will be some more extras this time… we will see… :cool

It seems like cpc has mostly corrected this issue they were having for a short time. I might have a split spot here and there but it’s not many at all and I actually prefer to have a few in the mix.
I ain’t sure about this statement and don’t get me wrong, this could be very misleading for cpc noobs… It turned out great in your case and that’s awesome, but on different orders it could lead to different results… David mentioned that the risk of split pots is based on many factors, humidity and temperature (sommer Winter) are some of the factors and an order that is manufactured in winter could be totally different in the amount of splits than an order that is manufactured in the summer month… after all such a custom set is pure luxury, and to be honest, 100 or 200 $ more ain’t that big of a difference at the end of the day… but everyone has to decide it by their own preferences

Last edited:
I think the right thing is just to trust David - when others ask and he says not necessary and you ask and he highly recommends it, you did the right thing by doing as he suggests. Incidentally split spots seem to be more common with tri-moons and isn't your set all tri-moon?

I have three separate sets from CPC and none have significant split spot issues. I actually don't think I'd mind if there was.

Any such imperfections IMHO add interesting nuance to the chip, and help demonstrate how far they are above the monotonous appearance of mass-produced plastic.

I'm not saying complaints about split spots are invalid; instead, I think a majority of orders DON'T have significant issues in that regard, and given there's nothing to report, all who we are left hearing from is a shrill minority.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD WE ARE STILL F'N TALKING ABOUT THE SPLIT SPOTS??! JFC.

IMG_20221114_173701.jpg

I just got 1700 of them, and used every base and most of the colors. Haven't noticed any. Not saying there might not be one, but honestly, they look perfect.

Follow @Darson s advise. Just talk to David. The tool will warn you if your in a major danger zone.

And honestly, you have to just understand what your getting.

View attachment 1024034

I just got 1700 of them, and used every base and most of the colors. Haven't noticed any. Not saying there might not be one, but honestly, they look perfect.

Follow @Darson s advise. Just talk to David. The tool will warn you if your in a major danger zone.

1668731195911.gif

View attachment 1024034

Did you just call David a tool?

View attachment 1024034

This set is silly amounts of amazing. Just Another reason why I will always be CPC for life over any Paulson set

This set is silly amounts of amazing. Just Another reason why I will always be CPC for life over any Paulson set
Minty DIce chips: 8¢/chip
Minty Custom CPC chips: $2/chip
Minty Paulsons: $10/chip

Is a CPC chip 25x better than a dice chip? Easily, yes.
Is a Paulson really 5x better than a CPC? No.

I agree with Chipinla's statement.

I wish my CPCs were $2, I think this is closer to the metal

CPC chips: $5
Paulson $15

Best logic I've seen yet. I like my Secondary HSI cash set because they are minty and I got them for a really good price ($2-$3 average). But some of the paulson prices are getting really crazy. I have two customer CPC sets now and a stock Rounders set. I absolutely love the CPC chips and will be the only thing that I order going forward. The ability to customize colors, spots, and inlays is priceless.

I wish my CPCs were $2, I think this is closer to the metal

CPC chips: $5
Paulson $15
If you are paying $5/chip for CPC then you must have some high level spot pattern preferences (L10+)

Here's a pricing chart that I put together (2022 prices).

My recent B-Mold order was all L3 so I was only $2.59/chip.

1668783287347.png

1668783411210.png

If you are paying $5/chip for CPC then you must have some high level spot pattern preferences (L10+)

View attachment 1025264

1668783658581.png
1668783674169.png

Here are my mocks, and I do, it's not just inserts, shaped inlays as well. My yellow $5 was the second highest at $5.6, and the highest count.

Your inserts are one of the lower costs and still over $2, you also don't have an insert progression which is less common these days.

Question re: shaped inlays. Does anyone know if it's possible to order aligned inlays?

Thinking of doing some 3TA316 chips with tri-moon inlays and would get them aligned to the edge spots (as below) if it's a possibility.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 12.43.31.png

Question re: shaped inlays. Does anyone know if it's possible to order aligned inlays?

Thinking of doing some 3TA316 chips with tri-moon inlays and would get them aligned to the edge spots (as below) if it's a possibility.

View attachment 1042292
The good news is they are aligned by default - you'll need to let David know if that's not what you want! :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom