For those of you that play in a weekly home game, how much is a buyin? (1 Viewer)

For those of you that play in a weekly home game, how much is a buyin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elemeno

Two Pair
Reaction score
For weekly games only!

I’m trying to see if it’s more prevalent to have a consistent weekly game with higher or lower stakes. Would also appreciate it if you can approximate how much money ends up on the table on an average night and post it.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a weekly game, but would want one!

I don’t believe there’s a one-size-fits-all approach to identifying your ideal buy-in amount to get a weekly game going, it has to be based on the most common preferences of players in your potential player pool that want to play in a weekly game. The hardest part about getting a weekly game going is even finding 15 people nearby that would be interested in and usually be available for a weekly game. Do you have a sizeable potential player pool to choose from? Or were you hoping that if you picked the ideal buy-in amount you’d be able to attract players to your future home game?

20 dollar tourney every week, 1/2 cash game every 3 weeks mixed in. 200-300 average buying.

We do a $25 buy in to make everyone happy, but you can rebuy as much as you want. Some of my regs buy in as much as 8 times.

I don’t believe there’s a one-size-fits-all approach to identifying your ideal buy-in amount to get a weekly game going, it has to be based on the most common preferences of players in your potential player pool that want to play in a weekly game. The hardest part about getting a weekly game going is even finding 15 people nearby that would be interested in and usually be available for a weekly game. Do you have a sizeable potential player pool to choose from? Or were you hoping that if you picked the ideal buy-in amount you’d be able to attract players to your future home game?
I was thinking people more into poker would want to play for more money

There’s a lot more factors that go into than just that, starting with bankroll. Doesn’t matter how much you love poker if your bankroll doesn’t support higher stakes.

I was thinking people more into poker would want to play for more money

As a poker enthusiast, I don't want to play for more money in my game because I want it to be sustainable.

Poll the players and pick the median.

Last edited:
Me and my buddies usually do $50 unlimited buy ins 7-8 guys. Pot usually hits $1000 by end of the night .

The weekly Executive Game (cash game) at The Godfather Club has a $25-40 initial buy-in and unlimited top offs to the big stack.

We tried $25 with the same top off rule and it slowed the action and the game.

Last edited:
We play $30 buy-in tournaments with one $30 rebuy in the first 2.5 hours most nights. We have the occasional unlimited rebuy nights (still 2.5 hours) and the occasional higher buy-in (usually $40/$50 with some kind of interesting stipulation).

My friends play $0.25/$0.25 and the buy ins are anywhere from $25-$50 keeps things light. No match stack $50 max all night. I try to keep poker night as a cheaper alternative to going out for my friend group or a pregame for those that want to go out after. Whatever they need it to be. Good and exciting excuse to get my friends together on a Saturday night.

My weekly game is .25/.50 with $60 max initially, then we increase to $100 max (either 3 hours into the game or when half the players at the table have $100+ stacks). This works perfectly for sustainability - we rarely have trouble filling a table.

My game is now every other week, FWIW it’s 2/5 with a min initial buyin of $300 (60BB) and max $1K (200BB). After that the max is half the biggest stack.

I get a mix of different initial buyins, from min to max, with many opting for $400-$700 to start. Some top off as the game goes on, some rebuy for the same as their first amount, a few opt for the max (half the big stack).

Last edited:
Me and my buddies usually do $50 unlimited buy ins 7-8 guys. Pot usually hits $1000 by end of the night .

When you say "unlimited" do you mean I can add-on $50 at any time, or do I have to bust first?

I assume you mean $1000 in the bank by the end of the night...that is a TON of rebuys. Ever consider just upping your buy-in to $100? ;)

When you say "unlimited" do you mean I can add-on $50 at any time, or do I have to bust first?

I assume you mean $1000 in the bank by the end of the night...that is a TON of rebuys. Ever consider just upping your buy-in to $100? ;)
Usually bust first than rebuy ! Yes I meant the final pot. The average buy in for us is $100 each guy. So I lie the pot gets up to around $1,500 . Most of the time it’s split between 2-3 guys as the others bust out ! Splitting the money is always an issue somehow 1 guy always gets screwed lol

We play .25/.50, $100 max initially, but rebuys are sometimes $200. It plays pretty big, with lots of straddles, and aggressive pre-flop raising.

Out of curiosity, with games that buyin 200+ BBs, what’s the standard pre flop raise size?

0.25/0.50 $50 buy-in - match the stack. open size early on is 1.50-3.00 and later on (when the avg stack is 1000BB) it's usually ~5.00

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom