Games besides Hold Em (1 Viewer)

Eggmann8

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Just wondering if people are bored of regular Hold em. Me and some of my friends like @ovo enjoy Omaha, pineapple, Ocean and the like. Just curious who agrees with us.

Holdem can be in the rotation, but getting two cards only hand after hand after hand for a few hours would suck.

I’m always trying to introduce new games to our mix. Badugi has been successful as well as pot limit Omaha. They’re a little unenthusiastic about Omaha hi-low, but they might come around. I would like to try to introduce some more lowball variants and maybe a stud with a gimmick like Chicago. I love mixed games, for sure.

Holdem can be in the rotation, but getting two cards only hand after hand after hand for a few hours would suck.

I usually run a dealers choice game. We "might" play a single round of hold'em. Most of the groups that I play with host some kind of version of HOP, HOPES, HOPE, ect....

Hold'em., PLO, Crazy Pineapple, PLO8, and SOHE

Holdem is great because you can fold bad hands, and get a new hand 2 minutes later. If you play for 4 hours, that's 120 hands a night. Circus games are much slower, as more people see a flop, are unfamiliar with the rules, arrange their hands, count out pots, etc. At a recent meet-up, I timed it at about 7 hands per hour. If you are playing for 4 hours you get 28 hands a night - an absolute luck-fest if I've ever heard of one.

Nice things about meet-ups though, is they run for multiple days at 14+ hours a day which makes up for the lack of hands.

Note: Not all circus games take as long as others.

Holdem is great because you can fold bad hands, and get a new hand 2 minutes later. If you play for 4 hours, that's 120 hands a night. Circus games are much slower, as more people see a flop, are unfamiliar with the rules, arrange their hands, count out pots, etc. At a recent meet-up, I timed it at about 7 hands per hour. If you are playing for 4 hours you get 28 hands a night - an absolute luck-fest if I've ever heard of one.

Nice things about meet-ups though, is they run for multiple days at 14+ hours a day which makes up for the lack of hands.

Note: Not all circus games take as long as others.

Which leads too the obvious conclusion that you MUST play every hand ! :)

My favorite is 7 stud. They used to spread it everywhere in Vegas before the hold'em explosion. I remember poker rooms would have several 7 Stud games going and maybe one hold'em game.

I like 2-7 lowball and badugi but my regulars won't play any other game except holdem game for cash.

If the option was there, I'd also consider adding razz or 7 card stud.

Not a fan of most others.

Circus games are much slower

That depends so much on the group. At WCB the pink-chip game moved very quickly. I think the per-hand cap on NL/PL games helped, but in general, we moved right along. The non-NLHE hands do take longer to deal, I'll grant you.

I grew bored with NLHE after playing it a few nights. Until the NLHE craze hit in 2003-04, I NEVER NEVER EVER played a single type of poker game for an entire session -- it was always mixed games. IMO, any poker game can get boring if that's all you play.

Yeah, I folded preflop once in SOHE, and everyone looked at me as if I was eating pennies like peanuts. :confused:
Oh no I remember this hand.

Me: “you folded preflop?”
@krafticus: “no one folds preflop.”
@Poker Zombie: “I had four aces in the hole, what am I supposed to do with that?”
@krafticus and me in perfect unison: “Split them!”

That depends so much on the group. At WCB the pink-chip game moved very quickly. I think the per-hand cap on NL/PL games helped, but in general, we moved right along. The non-NLHE hands do take longer to deal, I'll grant you.

I grew bored with NLHE after playing it a few nights. Until the NLHE craze hit in 2003-04, I NEVER NEVER EVER played a single type of poker game for an entire session -- it was always mixed games. IMO, any poker game can get boring if that's all you play.
I don’t know. I’m of the mind NLHE ONLY works when you play it all night. When you’ve been playing six card double board Omaha and you change to NLHE it’s like driving a car at 100 mph and having the transmission fall out.

Oh no I remember this hand.

Me: “you folded preflop?”
@krafticus: “no one folds preflop.”
@Poker Zombie: “I had four aces in the hole, what am I supposed to do with that?”
@krafticus and me in perfect unison: “Split them!”
I mean, you essentially get double suited aces on the Omaha side, right ?!?!?! I do remember that, :-)

It'd be fairly easy as long as it's just PCF'ers, where I can just use HTML and JavaScript for output... it starts needing a separate stand-alone secure client as it grows and people start trying to hack it.

I mean ... I doubt many would know how to manipulate the dev console in browser to give themselves wired Aces, but that doesn't mean they won't try :sneaky:

Also, the thing about sports simulation code? What's that about?

Also, the thing about sports simulation code? What's that about?
My "main" job is working for simdynasty.com which is an online football and baseball game site. I do the user interface and support for the baseball simulation, and the football simulation is my code from the ground up. Draft a fictional team, set your strategies, watch the game results, and for the paid leagues draft new players and build your team over time (the free leagues reset every season in football and every third season in baseball). (My other job is a photography business.)
dv.jpgscoreboard.gifss1.jpgNewPlayerCard4.pngss1.jpgss2.jpg

We have pretty regular .50-50 crazy pineapple and plo8 games. But tough to get anyone to play beyond that.

Playing just the same poker variant all night can be boring, but IMHO this is no reason to opt for ultra high variance games (which could also be nicknamed roulette games), or ones with boards the size of wallpapers.
Some decent alternative ideas to HE and PLO might include:
-Tight Pineapple ( the third hole card is discarded upon seeing the flop and before betting on it - remaining 2 hole cards are both obligatory to use).
-Whatever the name: Three fully useable hole cards (minimum 2 to use) and just three board cards ( the last one can be a double/twin card - can't use both twins).
-Higher variance version of the above: three twin board cards (three bunches of 2) - can't use both cards of each bunch.
-Even higher variance game, probably outside the limits of decency:): Super Holdem a la grecque (3 hole cards, minimum 2 to use)
-6 card stud in 4 betting rounds ( a 7th community card can also be dealt simultaneously with the last -6th- face-down card of each player)
-6 card stud roll-your-own in 4 betting rounds (cards dealt face down 3+1+1+1, players rolling 1 each time face up).
Edit: 4 betting rounds

Last edited:
I like playing different games so long as they are relatively quick.

Circus games that take 5 mins a hand are just too slow.

Most of the so called circus games play faster than 7 card stud. People who grew up on holdem don’t understand how much of an exception holdem is.

Also, with these mixed games, 2 tables of 5 is so much faster and more fun than 1 tableof 10, and necessary for many of the games to be short handed to play well (eg dramaha).

My regular cash game (we call ourselves "the idiots") spreads a 5-8 handed .25/.50 game
- 2 rounds of NLHE
- one round of O8 with 4 or 5 cards (Big-O)
- one round of dealers choice where normally selected games are:
- Stud-O8 played pot limit
- Razz played pot limit
- 5 card double board split pot (pot limit)
- SVITTEN or DRAW-MAHA 5 card single draw split pot where the best omaha-high hand and the best 5 cards in-hand split the pot (pot limit)
- 5 card nuclear-armageddon pineapple (pot limit)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom