Welcome and hoping to learn how to run 2 tables (1 Viewer)

terpfan007

Waiting List
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller here. I've ran about half a dozen nights of 8-11 person, No Limit Hold Em' and I'm looking to move to two tables as I'm planning on having around 17 or 18 people come this week. Appreciate everyone sharing on here how they have their games set up and looking to learn what is best for this amount of people. I'm thinking two tables and then combining when there is 10 left but I'm wondering if that will take too long and I should just run the tables separate down to the winner?

Welcome!

So we assume you're playing a tournament style, everyone throws money in and top spots get paid out? Wait until there's 9 left to coalesce to one table, moving people to keep them generally balanced until then.

Edit: @dpeks13 said it better!

Yes, "tournament style" I guess. Not sure what that exactly (forgive me but before these last 6 games I'd only played poker 3 times in my life probably) means but yeah just a small buy in and before we usually go to the last two people (sometimes 1 and takes all) and split it.

So for moving, once some people go out and say it's 9 and 7, then have the table with 9 finish the hand and move the person that's next up for the big blind to the big blind spot on the table of 7?

Thanks for the help gents :tup:

Yes, "tournament style" I guess. Not sure what that exactly (forgive me but before these last 6 games I'd only played poker 3 times in my life probably) means but yeah just a small buy in and before we usually go to the last two people (sometimes 1 and takes all) and split it.

So for moving, once some people go out and say it's 9 and 7, then have the table with 9 finish the hand and move the person that's next up for the big blind to the big blind spot on the table of 7?

Thanks for the help gents :tup:
If it's a casual event filled with inexperienced players I'd probably default to paying out more people to make getting in the money feel more achievable. In my home games (I am also inexperienced but finally starting to run something regular) pay out the top 4 a 40%/25%/20%/15% distribution for 11-20 player home tournaments. In the earlier 9-10 player nights I'd pay out the top 3 with a 50%/30%/20% distribution.

On moving, yep, you move the next BB on the over-populated table over to the empty seat closest to the big blind. They don't have to wait for the BB to come to the seat to play. There's some extra rules that can be added if the only seat available is the next small blind or in-between the button and the small blind to prevent people from being on the button for a discount or free for an orbit, but if you have mostly inexperienced players no one cares about OOP/IP anyway.

As for breaking tables,It helps to have some kind of tournament software or other tracking mechanism to keep a note of who's at what tables on what seats. Makes condensing tables and reassigning random seats easier.

The videos really helped me prepare better and the night went great. I only had 14 people so we just did two tables of 7. Everyone had a great time and the only complaint anyone (only one person) had at the end is that my table (and the person who complained) only lost one person and went to 6 and the other table lost 3 or 4 people all in one hand so after that we combined but then the 3 or 4 people from the other table came to ours and had a noticeable stack advantage over many of the people at our table.
I dunno, to me that was fine and just how the night went as our table wasn't as aggressive, but one guy questioned if there was a better way to handle that. Either way, I really appreciate the help from you all!

Hello and welcome.

Get tournament director, and let it run your tournaments. It will take care of movement and table collapsing for you. It will also help with payouts.

Hello and welcome.

Get tournament director, and let it run your tournaments. It will take care of movement and table collapsing for you. It will also help with payouts.
I've never heard of that before I'll check it out.

Our payouts were simple (only a $5 buy in, so nothing crazy haha) and the breakdown occurred when we went from 13 people total (7 and 6 at a table) down to 9, in one hand. So they were balanced the whole time.

Also, I don't have a laptop, can you run the program on your phone and is it hard to be inputting info while you are playing?

The videos really helped me prepare better and the night went great. I only had 14 people so we just did two tables of 7. Everyone had a great time and the only complaint anyone (only one person) had at the end is that my table (and the person who complained) only lost one person and went to 6 and the other table lost 3 or 4 people all in one hand so after that we combined but then the 3 or 4 people from the other table came to ours and had a noticeable stack advantage over many of the people at our table.
I dunno, to me that was fine and just how the night went as our table wasn't as aggressive, but one guy questioned if there was a better way to handle that. Either way, I really appreciate the help from you all!
Stack dis/advantage is a core and unavoidable element of poker and that's especially true for tournament play, so seems like everything went more or less went perfectly. Very nice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom