I was today years old when I… (10 Viewers)

I've heard of Fubar and Snafu, but i'll have to remember BOHICA :)

Been in accounting and finance for many years and have used the term "SWAG" more than a few times. How did you project that revenue growth for next 5 years? Well we used the SWAG method. I find our Biz Dev guys use this quite a bit.

Serious
Wild
Ass
Guess
You must know about WITTB, then, and the inventory accounting method WIFL (cousin of FIFO and LIFO, Firsi-In-First-Out and Last-In-First-Out).

What
It
Takes
To
Balance

Whatever
I
Feel

I have a story about my friend and I learning something recently.

Was at a home game at his place and was on break, I was coloring up chips. He has a teenage daughter that walks in with some friends and tells her dad shes going to some boy's house with them after they change out of their pool stuff.

He asks her, "So are you guys are gonna go get plowed, am I right?" and started chuckling.

My jaw drops in awe that he just said that to his 17-18 year old daughter.

They all laugh and have a short conversation and the daughter and friends head upstairs laughing.

I turn to him and tell him "wow, you're really supportive "

He turns to me, "yeah, I dont really mind, she gets good grades and such and I know how nervous she is for college. You know, I wouldnt want her to be the only kid going to college that hasnt been plowed yet"

I lose my composure finally and erupt in laughter. "You know what that means, right? Getting plowed? I'm just surprised you're encouraging her to go sleep with guys,"

He goes ghost white .

"What?! No, I want her to go get plowed. You know? Like I dont want her to be the only kid in school that hasnt gotten really drunk yet, I want her to experience that and be safe so she doesnt go overboard. "

My sides erupt, I cant stop laughing. His daughter and friends come downstairs, I cant even say goodbye because I'm laughing so hard.

I was today years old when I learned that "getting plowed" was an old term for getting drunk and my buddy learned that his old phrase now means something completely different in this day and age.
It DOES????? What is that, some secret code they devised so they can talk about it in front of us old farts and we think they are talking about drinking???

It DOES????? What is that, some secret code they devised so they can talk about it in front of us old farts and we think they are talking about drinking???
I have never known the phrase "getting plowed" to mean anything else than that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I don't think that it was a secret code, I just think that slang eventually evolved into something else. It's definitely not a classy way to say that you did the deed either.

For example, I was hitting on a server one night and got her number. The first thing my friend asked the next time he saw me was "So, did you plow that blonde girl yet , or what?"

Update, I have not yet plowed the blondie. :cautious:

Last edited:
I've heard of Fubar and Snafu, but i'll have to remember BOHICA :)

Been in accounting and finance for many years and have used the term "SWAG" more than a few times. How did you project that revenue growth for next 5 years? Well we used the SWAG method. I find our Biz Dev guys use this quite a bit.

Serious
Wild
Ass
Guess
I'm also an accountant. I thought it was Scientific Wild Ass Guess.

I have never known the phrase "getting plowed" to mean anything else than that. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I don't think that it was a secret code, I just think that slang eventually evolved into something else. It's definitely not a classy way to say that you did the deed either.

For example, I was hitting on a server one night and got her number. The first thing my friend asked the next time he saw me was "So, did you plow that blonde girl yet , or what?"

Update, I have not yet plowed the blondie. :cautious:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1d589479-3607-49a6-b4e7-1a844454100b

Today I learned the last line of the chorus in a-ha's "Take On Me" is: in a day or two.

Taaaaake .... onnnnnnn... meeeeee.... (take! on! me!)
Taaaaake .... meeeeeee... onnnnnn... (take! on! me!)
I'lllll ... beeeeee.... gonnnnnnnne
In a day or twoooooooooooooooooo

:wow:

Best version:

One of the players in my pokerrrr 2 group who was notorious for very confusing .50 donk leads was today years old when he learned you could check by double tapping the screen. He has been playing for 6 months.

We are coworkers. He came in my office, shut door, and declared “I just discovered something and I’m really embarrassed about it…..”. I’m still laughing.

You must know about WITTB, then, and the inventory accounting method WIFL (cousin of FIFO and LIFO, Firsi-In-First-Out and Last-In-First-Out).

What
It
Takes
To
Balance

I usually just call that a "Plug", which is different than "plow" btw ;)

Baka just means stupid/idiot in Japanese in general, I assume its popularity as a word here came from people that watch anime hear it alot here in the states/Tik Tok.

So words like baka (stupid/idiot), kawaii (cute), sugoi (when you are excited or overwhelmed), etc have turned into popular words that begin to bleed into our culture since they are so commonly used as anime becomes more popular outside of Japan.

When I was stationed in Okinawa, there are so many slurs and stuff my local friends taught me so I knew when people were bad mouthing others, or just words to look out for so I had an idea what others were talking about. I wish i retained more of the language than i have, I really want to go back and visit one day.

The Okinawan locals in the north though, oh man, they hated us. The words they used were so awful. Even in the city, some places wouldn't allow Americans inside, especially my black and hispanic Marines. It was messed up, they were oddly polite about how racist they were.

Did you ever have to deal with the paid protesters?

"Yankee go home!"
"No Osprey!"
"Fuck you!"

Lol
No we never had any of that up where I was; we got along pretty great with our local nationals. I was on the main island tho, pretty far up north in the Aomori prefecture. According to the Japanese girl I was dating over there Japanese people in general don’t hate anyone except North Korea but yeah down in Okinawa and nearer to where the bombs were dropped, the older Japanese folks still don’t like Americans, which is pretty understandable I guess.
I wish I still knew more of the language as well. 15 years later, I could still tell a woman she’s cute or beautiful and offer her a drink lol but other than I just remember very basic phrases and words.

.. just learned that the word “posh” is an acronym for “port out starboard home”, referring to the more comfortable accommodation, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India.
While that etymology has become widely accepted, no proof has yet been found to support the claim (e.g., no “POSH” cabin signage, tickets, or pictures). Based on the lack of tangible evidence, I personally think it’s just a good story….

While that etymology has become widely accepted, no proof has yet been found to support the claim (e.g., no “POSH” cabin signage, tickets, or pictures). Based on the lack of tangible evidence, I personally think it’s just a good story….
Alas, there are far too many of those invented back-formation

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden
To Insure Promptness
Ship High In Transit
Stuff We All Get
Notable Events, Weather, and Sports

....all of those are Bull Shit

Forgot to add:

To be fair, today *I* learned that POSH's acronymic etymology was at best unsubstantiated.

.. just learned that the word “posh” is an acronym for “port out starboard home”, referring to the more comfortable accommodation, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India.
We're you watching the laundromat by any chance? That's how learned the phrase

When I was stationed in Japan years ago I learned that ‘Baka gaijen’ more or less meant ‘stupid foreigner’, so I would guess that’s where it comes from. Interesting to know it’s made it’s way over here as a slang catch phrase.
I worked at a buddy's family hostess club (restaurant downstairs, hostess club upstairs) for a few months one summer - the sukoshi Nihongo I learned was either really polite/formal or really dirty/crude... :D

ekricket said:
>Were you eating at The French Laundry?

The French Laundry doesn't serve lunch, but Bouchon does.

Last edited:
You ever think you know something, then have it presented only slightly differently and you’re embarrassed to admit that it blows your mind?

shampoo:conditioner::soap:lotion

Alright. I'll help get this going. Because I had a doozy about 5 years ago that my Girlfriend still laughs about.

You know the Kay Jeweler ads where they say "every kiss begins with Kay"....

I suddenly looked at her and said. "Holy shit. Kay is the name and Kiss starts with the letter K...."

She was like "fuck.... You are an idiot sometimes...."
Huh. I never put that together either.

But, as I once (and only once) said to my wife, “in my defense, I wasn’t really paying attention.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom