I was today years old when I… (9 Viewers)

Lots of young animated males are voiced by women: Bart Simpson, Jimmy Neutron, lots of others.

Plus pretty much every male in anime who's under 13.
1630633317965.png

As a supertaster, I find them all unpalatable :cautious:

I was this days old when I learned the wild mustard plant was the root of all evil. :tup:
I have a group of friends who get together occasionally for beer tastings, and I tend to be better than most in the group at picking out subtle flavors. One of the guys told me that he thought I might be a supertaster.

But after learning what a supertaster is, I knew I was definitely not one (thank goodness). I'm not overly sensitive to bitter foods, and I really enjoy many foods that supertasters dislike: gin, coffee, chocolate, grapefruit, etc.

I have a group of friends who get together occasionally for beer tastings, and I tend to be better than most in the group at picking out subtle flavors. One of the guys told me that he thought I might be a supertaster.

But after learning what a supertaster is, I knew I was definitely not one (thank goodness). I'm not overly sensitive to bitter foods, and I really enjoy many foods that supertasters dislike: gin, coffee, chocolate, grapefruit, etc.
It's only dark chocolate, milk chocolate is fine :tup:

I can't tell you how much I had to fight with my (older) sister as a kid, she loved broccoli, always made it, and used to complain that I lied about hating it. Haven't touched that crap in years :D.

Sour patch kids are also awful.

Last edited:
It's only dark chocolate, milk chocolate is fine :tup:

I can't tell you how much I had to fight with my (older) sister as a kid, she loved broccoli, always made it, and used to complain the I lied about hating it. Havev't touched that crap in years :D.

Sour patch kids are also awful.
Now I know I'm not a supertaster. If my chocolate is less than 70% cacao, get that crap outta here. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Today I learned the last line of the chorus in a-ha's "Take On Me" is: in a day or two.

Taaaaake .... onnnnnnn... meeeeee.... (take! on! me!)
Taaaaake .... meeeeeee... onnnnnn... (take! on! me!)
I'lllll ... beeeeee.... gonnnnnnnne
In a day or twoooooooooooooooooo

:wow:

Today I learned the last line of the chorus in a-ha's "Take On Me" is: in a day or two.

Taaaaake .... onnnnnnn... meeeeee.... (take! on! me!)
Taaaaake .... meeeeeee... onnnnnn... (take! on! me!)
I'lllll ... beeeeee.... gonnnnnnnne
In a day or twoooooooooooooooooo

:wow:

Yes, but then later on it changes to just "in a day". a-ha is still the pride of Norway, BTW.

My teenage daughters have been saying “baka” nonstop, lately. Must be an internet thing? I finally had to Google it. Baka means idiot. I hope I’m not the idiot.
When I was stationed in Japan years ago I learned that ‘Baka gaijen’ more or less meant ‘stupid foreigner’, so I would guess that’s where it comes from. Interesting to know it’s made it’s way over here as a slang catch phrase.

Wild animals won’t eat this stuff. Almost no insects do either. Y’unt some?
Most interesting to me is that I realy like two of those, find two very distasteful, and am mostly neutral on one. Never tried kohlrabi.
Actually I'm okay with most of these, when prepared properly.

I like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. I disliked brussel sprouts as a kid, but that was preparation. Roasted, well-seasoned brussel sprouts are amazing.

I'm not a big fan of kale but don't hate it either. I don't recall ever eating kohlrabi.

Oh crap!

I was today years old when I learned that collard greens, a southern staple that I love, is also a cultivar of Brassica oleracea!

When I was stationed in Japan years ago I learned that ‘Baka gaijen’ more or less meant ‘stupid foreigner’, so I would guess that’s where it comes from. Interesting to know it’s made it’s way over here as a slang catch phrase.
Baka just means stupid/idiot in Japanese in general, I assume its popularity as a word here came from people that watch anime hear it alot here in the states/Tik Tok.

So words like baka (stupid/idiot), kawaii (cute), sugoi (when you are excited or overwhelmed), etc have turned into popular words that begin to bleed into our culture since they are so commonly used as anime becomes more popular outside of Japan.

When I was stationed in Okinawa, there are so many slurs and stuff my local friends taught me so I knew when people were bad mouthing others, or just words to look out for so I had an idea what others were talking about. I wish i retained more of the language than i have, I really want to go back and visit one day.

The Okinawan locals in the north though, oh man, they hated us. The words they used were so awful. Even in the city, some places wouldn't allow Americans inside, especially my black and hispanic Marines. It was messed up, they were oddly polite about how racist they were.

Did you ever have to deal with the paid protesters?

"Yankee go home!"
"No Osprey!"
"Fuck you!"

Lol

I was this week old when I learned that Snafu is an acronym. I guess I never really thought about it, and it's quite embarrassing being I am military and a non-military person told me:

Situation
Normal
All
Fucked
Up
There are a lot of great ones that come from the military. A few of my favorites:

BOHICA - Bend over, here it comes again.
FUBAR - Fucked up beyond all recognition/repair.
DILLIGAF - Do I look like I give a fuck?
MARINE - My ass rides in Navy equipment.

(I wasn't in the Navy, but I have several family members who were/are, so I had no choice but to add the last one.)

There are a lot of great ones that come from the military. A few of my favorites:

(I wasn't in the Navy, but I have several family members who were/are, so I had no choice but to add the last one.)
I've heard of Fubar and Snafu, but i'll have to remember BOHICA :)

Been in accounting and finance for many years and have used the term "SWAG" more than a few times. How did you project that revenue growth for next 5 years? Well we used the SWAG method. I find our Biz Dev guys use this quite a bit.

Serious
Wild
Ass
Guess

There’s actually a biker dude in Lake George, NY that started a clothing line based on this. He calls himself “Bohica Bill” and all the shirts/etc say DILLIGAF somewhere. Guy has made a fortune. Not my style but still had to buy one lol.

https://dilligafusa.com/

Been in accounting and finance for many years and have used the term "SWAG" more than a few times. How did you project that revenue growth for next 5 years? Well we used the SWAG method. I find our Biz Dev guys use this quite a bit.

Serious
Wild
Ass
Guess
Yep, I use that one all the time when making development estimates.

"How long will this feature take?"
"A couple days, but that's a SWAG."

There’s actually a biker dude in Lake George, NY that started a clothing line based on this. He calls himself “Bohica Bill” and all the shirts/etc say DILLIGAF somewhere. Guy has made a fortune. Not my style but still had to buy one lol.

https://dilligafusa.com/
Yeah definitely not my style either, but I kind of like the idea of having a DILLIGAF t-shirt...

Serious
Wild
Ass
Guess
Interesting. As an athlete we used the term SWAG to define cloth and equipment issued by the team.
Stuff
We
All
Get

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom