I was today years old when I… (8 Viewers)

You know I think it was last year or the year before when I realized wrapped up like a deuce was deuce and not.. well.....
Also, it's not "little early pearly gave my anus curly whirly" in case you were wondering.

My 9 yr old walks around the house saying "Nani" all day. Looked it up and it's Japanese for "what?" and she discovered it watching youtube and anime.
Omae wa mou shindeiru...

Today I learnt…

B311CB32-E4F4-4AE5-BED8-49EF70153961.jpeg

I didn't learn this today, but I was much older than I should have been when I did learn.

Growing up, my first exposure to British movies was watching "A Clockwork Orange". Though I learned later that it was a Russian/English vernacular created for the book, I believed all British folks spoke like that and it was intimidating because I hardly understood anything they said.

To this day, I've never been to England, or Europe for that matter. "Hostel" and "a Clockwork Orange" play on repeat in my mind.

Last edited:
I didn't learn this today, but I was much older than I should have been when I did learn.

Growing up, my first exposure to British movies was watching "A Clockwork Orange". Though I learned later that it was a Russian/English vernacular created for the book, I believed all British folks spoke like that and it was intimidating because I hardly understood anything they said.

To this day, I've never been to England, or Europe for that matter. "Hostel" and "a Clockwork Orange" play on repeat in my mind.
"Me and my droogs was up for a bit of the old ultra-violence" etc. Great book and great movie.

I love this thread. I was driving around with a buddy recently and we stopped for gas. He didn't remember which side his gas cap was located and I gave him this tip.

All cars have an 'arrow' pointing to the side where the gas cap is located. Look at your gas gauge and you'll see it.

gas_side.jpg

"Me and my droogs was up for a bit of the old ultra-violence" etc. Great book and great movie.
I’ll have to watch it again. My daughter (who’s only 18, but pretty good with this stuff) just watched it for the first time and told me that it was disappointing and probably hasnt aged well.

I’ll have to watch it again. My daughter (who’s only 18, but pretty good with this stuff) just watched it for the first time and told me that it was disappointing and probably hasnt aged well.
Same here, I haven't seen it for several years. But I always thought the movie was a well-done adaptation of the book, and I've had a huge man-crush on Malcolm McDowell since I was a kid.

So even if it's gotten a little cheesy over time, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

I love this thread. I was driving around with a buddy recently and we stopped for gas. He didn't remember which side his gas cap was located and I gave him this tip.

All cars have an 'arrow' pointing to the side where the gas cap is located. Look at your gas gauge and you'll see it.

View attachment 756254
I was today years old when I realized that there were members that didn't read the whole thread before putting in their reply. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My teenage daughters have been saying “baka” nonstop, lately. Must be an internet thing? I finally had to Google it. Baka means idiot. I hope I’m not the idiot.
hahaha. that's a riot. seems like they watch japanese anime

I was today’s years old when I found out that emoji’s apparently have alternative meanings and I have probably been offending the internet for years and according to my kids should just stop using them - lol.

Something I know, but always gets a “ohhh” when I tell it — In the mid-nineties, I was employee #8 at a company called USWeb, the first company to try and take “web development” global, something most companies didn’t care about, or understand.

We had a new client, a very animated gentleman who wanted to launch a new web site at “relentless.com”. When we asked him what he wanted to sell, he said “eventually, everything.” We told him it needed a new name.

The site started as an online bookseller, but he wanted the logo and name to indicate the breadth of his future offerings.

When we launched Amazon.com as the world’s largest online bookseller, we also launched with a logo that has the future in mind. The “smiley face” is actually an arrow that says “we sell everything, from A to Z.”

1629133450838.png

Oh — and to this day, www.relentless.com redirects to Amazon.

Last edited:
And in this same vein, there aren’t any “blue” birds - it’s an optical trick that makes our eyes see “blue” when it’s really brown. There are very few true blue pigments in animals, if any
Huh. https://www.acsh.org/news/2016/06/30/blue-birds-arent-blue-this-is-how-they-fool-you

Seems like splitting hairs to me. They say the pigment isn't blue, it's just that the feathers only reflect blue light. But that's how call color works, right? We see blue because an object reflects blue light and absorbs the other colors?

It is interesting that the phenomenon only happens in one direction, though.

Something I know, but always gets a “ohhh” when I tell it — In the mid-nineties, I was employee #8 at a company called USWeb, the first company to try and take “web development” global, something most companies didn’t care about, or understand.

We had a new client, a very animated gentleman who wanted to launch a new web site at “relentless.com”. When we asked him what he wanted to sell, he said “eventually, everything.” We told him it needed a new name.

The site started as an online bookseller, but he wanted the logo and name to indicate the breadth of his future offerings.

When we launched Amazon.com as the world’s largest online bookseller, we also launched with a logo that has the future in mind. The “smiley face” is actually an arrow that says “we sell everything, from A to Z.”

View attachment 756373
I always thought that was a penis, like he was bragging or something.

View attachment 756373
Oh — and to this day, www.relentless.com redirects to Amazon.

Now I can't unsee. Just like the arrow in the FedEx logo.

IWTYO when I learned that "the US CEO of USWeb, Joseph P. Firmage, was asked to step down as CEO after he claimed to have been visited by extraterrestrials in his bedroom."

Also that USWeb also later merged with Whittman-Hart. @Windwalker you and I were coworkers! Kinda. Sorta. Maybe.

Now I can't unsee. Just like the arrow in the FedEx logo.

IWTYO when I learned that "the US CEO of USWeb, Joseph P. Firmage, was asked to step down as CEO after he claimed to have been visited by extraterrestrials in his bedroom."

Also that USWeb also later merged with Whittman-Hart. @Windwalker you and I were coworkers! Kinda. Sorta. Maybe.
Yep. Joe wrote an online manifesto called “The Truth”, which spoke of his core belief that many among us were extra terrestrials. That was the end of that. Public company stewards don’t look kindly upon that. I actually left before the Whittman-Hart merger; right after we purchased CKS and became “USWeb/CKS”.

Same here, I haven't seen it for several years. But I always thought the movie was a well-done adaptation of the book, and I've had a huge man-crush on Malcolm McDowell since I was a kid.

So even if it's gotten a little cheesy over time, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Sorry to derail a bit, but I watched Kubrick's Paths of Glory recently, and that film has absolutely held up over time. Kirk Douglas and many others are superb.

"Set me free, why don't you babe;
close the door as you leave me; you just keep me hangin' on"

Other nice one, from the late George Michael's "I want you sex":
"romance 's got its pace, girl"
instead of "every man 's got his patience"

An excuse would be that I 'm not a native English speaker, but I 've had worse misunderstandings with Greek songs' lyrics.:LOL: :laugh:

"Set me free, why don't you babe;
close the door as you leave me; you just keep me hangin' on"

Other nice one, from the late George Michael's "I want you sex":
"romance 's got its pace, girl"
instead of "every man 's got his patience"

An excuse would be that I 'm not a native English speaker, but I 've had worse misunderstandings with Greek songs' lyrics.:LOL: :laugh:

I heard it all before.
Sell donuts at my door.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom