is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (1 Viewer)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
Glad to see REM getting deserved love. I've seen that band more than any other (except maybe fIREHOSE). Saw them multiple times on every tour from fables through green. Sort of stopped following them closely after green. I thought their albums got better and better up to document, and green was a slight back slide. Fables, pageant, and document are huge favorites for me.

So I've been avoiding this thread in an attempt to escape ridicule. But as a result of my college fraternity's adoption of the song "Piano Man" for initiation rituals and bro circles at weddings, I just can't get behind the premise of this thread, as we would often listen to both discs of his greatest hits CD for hours on end. Of course, I'm also the guy that suggested that Bergs include Mumford and Sons on his Pandora playlist for a game last summer, which was another occasion for musical ridicule.

Aaron there are like a dozen serious confessions in that post. I won't quote any in case you see the light and want to delete it later.

it's like the universe is spitting in my face. the former singer and one of the two songwriters from one of my favorite bands - ween - has done an entire billy joel cover concert. i feel like i kind of have to at least listen.

here's big shot and billy the kid from a radio promo:

and the full concert (audio only):

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Adam Levine yet...I can't change the channel fast enough when I hear him on the radio. I'd listen to Billy Joel a hundred times before I listened to any Adam Levine/Maroon 5 song not named "Harder to Breathe".

I'm gonna go off the Rock train and go right into my wheelhouse, aside from Doggy Style, Snoop Doggy Dogg aka Snoop aka the Doggfather aka Snoop Lion....he has not put out a decent album in over 20 years. All of hits are when he's featured on a track, mostly because some up and coming Hip Hop or Top 40 artist need a little flair/edginess to their song or they want Snoop to sing the hook.

ie. Katy Perry California Girls
ie. Wiz Khalifa Young Wild n Free

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Adam Levine yet...I can't change the channel fast enough when I hear him on the radio. I'd listen to Billy Joel a hundred times before I listened to any Adam Levine/Maroon 5 song not named "Harder to Breathe".

i could not agree more about levine. douche of the highest order.

I'm gonna go off the Rock train and go right into my wheelhouse, aside from Doggy Style, Snoop Doggy Dogg aka Snoop aka the Doggfather aka Snoop Lion....he has not put out a decent album in over 20 years. All of hits are when he's featured on a track, mostly because some up and coming Hip Hop or Top 40 artist need a little flair/edginess to their song or they want Snoop to sing the hook.

ie. Katy Perry California Girls
ie. Wiz Khalifa Young Wild n Free

yeah sadly i kind of have to agree. he's been pretty masterful at somehow keep the perception of his relevancy alive, though. it would be like if warren g was still a superstar just by dropping a verse every 6 months for the last 20 years.

AC/DC to me is pretty irritating. Not thewhole band, just Brian Johnson. Every time I hear him sing I'm reminded of Donald Duck. And what's up with those school-boy uniforms? I just don't get it.

calling rock nerds, who is Gary Cherone? from a boston band Extreme? supposedly toured with van halen?

got a funny story about him

No way!! I listen to the AC/DC station on Pandora all the time. Frickin loved and still love their shit.

They may be a basic 4/4 time rock band, but they're one of the most successful basic 4/4 time rock bands ever, and I love'em!

calling rock nerds, who is Gary Cherone? from a boston band Extreme? supposedly toured with van halen?

got a funny story about him

More than Words. Half of all people who pick up a guitar seem to know how to play that song.

AC/DC to me is pretty irritating. Not thewhole band, just Brian Johnson. Every time I hear him sing I'm reminded of Donald Duck. And what's up with those school-boy uniforms? I just don't get it.

save yourself: listen only to Bon Scott AC/DC.

although i have to admit, back in black - for all its deviations from the traditional AC/DC sound, is still fucking insane and hell's bells has one of the greatest riffs of all time.

AC DC have been playing the same song with two different singers for decades now. But Man what a great fucking song! I've seen them live and am going again in September. Cant wait.

AC DC have been playing the same song with two different singers for decades now. But Man what a great fucking song! I've seen them live and am going again in September. Cant wait.
Garry Cherone, good singer for a nineties rock band, Nuno Bettencourt is a hell of a guitar player from the same band. Its best left forgotten that he was ever in Van Halen. Why does Eddy need to be a jerk to his singers?

Garry Cherone, good singer for a nineties rock band, Nuno Bettencourt is a hell of a guitar player from the same band. Its best left forgotten that he was ever in Van Halen. Why does Eddy need to be a jerk to his singers?

DLR was about as irritating as any one person can be. The early VH with Roth was the best but I just couldn't stand that jerk.

Ok good, you guys know him. I did not, but he plays in a 50+ basketball league at my local YMCA, people were going nuts over him being a local celeb.

BTW terrible basketball player and dresses like an assclown for 50+ mens bball

Billy Joel's Girlfriend Alexis Roderick Is Pregnant

skYOFwB.gif

He didn't. They just got married. RIP, BJ.

Back in Black is the greatest come back album of all time. Cannot wait to see them next month.

Laughing at the Adam Levine comments. I've been preaching that forever but admittingly I believe Maroon 5 and Adam to be chick music, similar to my Billy Joel comment earlier. That is, I don't really have a passionate response because that music is for "them".

Speaking of Maroon 5, you remember that band Train ("Hey soul sister.. blah blah blah blah")? I went to a kids party where this dad starts talking to me in the back yard about this incredible concert they went to with another couple. I asked who they saw and he says (with excitement) "TRAAAAIN" like I'm supposed to get pumped. Based on the look of his face, I clearly did not give a poker face as I was both horrified and pissed that he said this. The conversation slowly drizzled and all I did was talk to other dads I never met and voiced my upset'ness about this Train concert discussion. I thought I was getting punked. Train is ghee.

Speaking of Maroon 5, you remember that band Train ("Hey soul sister.. blah blah blah blah")? I went to a kids party where this dad starts talking to me in the back yard about this incredible concert they went to with another couple. I asked who they saw and he says (with excitement) "TRAAAAIN" like I'm supposed to get pumped. Based on the look of his face, I clearly did not give a poker face as I was both horrified and pissed that he said this. The conversation slowly drizzled and all I did was talk to other dads I never met and voiced my upset'ness about this Train concert discussion. I thought I was getting punked. Train is ghee.

about a month ago my wife and i went to a restaurant in a gentrifying area here that is believed to be hip and artsy and they were playing some satellite radio station that was playing almost exclusively 90s hits. i couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be ironic or what. and then "meet virginia" by train came on and i resolved to never return to that restaurant.

Train is simply one of those bands that fills airspace. If every band was awesome, we would be a boring homogenized nation. In the same sense, not every poker chip is awesome (I'm looking at you SLS Las Vegas), but maybe some good can be found in them.

So if BJ, Maroon 5, or Train isn't a Hall of Fame chip, they are still better than nothing. They are the ceramics of the music world, produced en masse for their economic value.

Full Disclosure: Joel, M5 and Train are all in my Spotify "chip" collection. None are featured sets, but whenever one of them comes on there is invariably somebody that mentions that they like them.

I don't think Billy Joel is either irritating or over-rated. For that (staying in the same decade or so) I will offer up Cyndi Lauper. Add to her, I will say that REM and Pearl Jam are not all that impressive. Both sound like whiny 20-somethings that are mad they can't get a real job.
I like AC/DC, but then again as an electrician it is somewhat of a prerequisite!
Nickleback can not be called over-rated because someone must first LIKE THEM. I have yet to meet someone that will admit to that.

Kanye definitely tops the list as Mr. Massengill; biggest d-bag!

SS,

Your last 2 sentences saved you from being targeted by PCF Mean Girl brigade.

Still, you're suspect in this town!

Friend of mine has 4 tickets to see Billy this Sat for face value, if anyone wants to see the legend at Fenway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom