is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (1 Viewer)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
If he asked you about it, would you claim "We didn't start the fire"?

i saw this two weeks ago when Bill posted it, but i couldn't bring myself to like it until just now. can't believe i walked into that one.

heard a musician last weekend who is as irritating as billy joel weekend and thought of this thread, but now i can't for the life of me remember who it was. i guess that's a blessing.

i saw this two weeks ago when Bill posted it, but i couldn't bring myself to like it until just now. can't believe i walked into that one.

heard a musician last weekend who is as irritating as billy joel weekend and thought of this thread, but now i can't for the life of me remember who it was. i guess that's a blessing.

was in bruce springsteen? bon jovi? neil diamond?

was in bruce springsteen? bon jovi? neil diamond?

springsteen is a genius and i liken his fanbase and cultural perception to lynyrd skynyrd. their fans like the anthemic aesthetics of their music, but for the most part don't engage in what makes them great artists and that same aesthetic causes people interested in more nuanced and complex music to disregard them entirely. i didn't give either enough attention until i was 25 or so and that's a shame because they are both amazing.

bon jovi sucks nuts, but jon bon jovi is a pretty great guy and is very involved in some really effective charities here on the jersey shore.

and even though neil diamond failed miserably in his attempt to jump on the rick-rubin-produced-comeback train, i still have a soft spot for him. unlike billy joel, he never thought he was hip. he just did his thing. and i can listen to and unironically enjoy solitary man and girl you'll be a woman soon.

just read this article and this particular excerpt had me lol-ing:

"Billy's from my 'hood, mid-Long Island—Hicksville, to be precise (I'm from Bay Shore)—so I'm sensitive to his abuse of our common roots. Once I wrote something about the curse of being from the Guyland. In it I said something heartfelt: New Jersey may have a rep as a toxic dump for mob victims to fester in, but at least it brought forth Bruce Springsteen. The ultimate Guyland humiliation is to be repped to the world by Billy Joel."

i also inexplicably failed to mention that Trainwreck - the Amy Schumer movie that caused such a fuss in the PCF at the Movies thread - featured as a relatively central plot point the song "Uptown Girl". not only did it not play a part in the fact that i didn't care for the movie, i was actually a little endeared to the characters through the use of the song. maybe one day i'll get kicked in the balls and like it, too. life is weird that way.

I say the Beatles. Can't stand any of it. I tried to give their songs a chance but they are clearly over rated.

I like The RHCP up to and including Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Then the downhill slide into crap began for me. Each one of those first 5 records showed evolution and greatness.

Same here to a 'T'...

Although I do like a handful of songs after BSSM...

i've made no secret of my hope for invasion by a superior species who will more competently direct our world. but this...please not this...

TYOlugs.png

I'm really just reviving this thread to tilt Butler, but I just had YouTube open in the background and it switched over to Billy Joe's River of Dreams video. I went to close it and realized that he filmed most of this in my hometown...there is a scene where kids are jumping off a brownstone ledge into the water - that was a rite of passage when we were 16 years old (and it's incredibly dangerous - one of the ledges was 60 feet high and there were rocks and abandoned cars in the quarry water below).

Anyway, BILLY!!!!!

Doesn't tilt me, so there.

I think about this thread pretty regularly anyway because the guy who hosts my local Friday game LOVES Billy Joel. He went to see him at MSG a couple of times recently and constantly talks about how fantastic he is. He also loves the Eagles and his favorite song currently is Disturbed's cover of the Sound of Silence, so we hear that like 3 times a night every Friday. So at least he's well-rounded in his horrific taste.

I like this thread. It reminds me, as a Brit, that not all Americans like Billy Joel (or Joe-elle or however the feck it's pronounced).

I don't have anything against him personally.

I will save my MBV experience for when I have more than a moment to post, but times eleventy billion to the TW love. He and Sonic Youth introduced me to the merging of "experimental" and rock music.

It was this thread @jbutler

It was this thread @jbutler

I think I was probably just referring to how MBV was part of the bands that brought me out of my thinking that music had to be heavy and explicitly "aggressive" to be serious. The sound of Loveless really bowled me over when I first heard it partly because I was in the early stages of trying to figure out how to make an electric guitar do things other than riff. In the days before the internet I was pretty much left to noodle with pedals and amp mods for hours to try to replicate (unsuccessfully to be clear) Kevin Shields' guitar sound.

If Nirvana hadn't broken so big I really think the decade would have gone so much differently for guitarists. I guess we got there eventually via OK Computer and I'm certainly not bemoaning Nirvana's influence on popular music, but it's not hard to imagine shoegaze blaring out of every garage if it had had the room to expand.

If not Bono, BJ btw

As much as I love their first 5 albums Bono is just horrendously irritating. My wife still loves the guy. Marriage is hard.

Btw I meant to bump this thread the other day because I ran into a reality-questioning video on the level of the one I posted earlier of Gene Ween covering Billy Joel. This time it's almost worse. Craig Finn, the singer of one of my favorite working bands - The Hold Steady - appeared as a guest at a show by another of my favorite working bands - Titus Andronicus. They did three songs - Stuck Between Stations (one of the best Hold Steady tracks), Bastards of Young (overplayed but still amazing Replacements track) and...fucking You May Be Right by fucking Billy Joel.

Although I have to agree slightly with @Chippy McChiperson that if I had to listen to a Billy Joel song there are worse options.

But just look how great they can sound together doing Stuck Between Stations. Would have killed to see one of these shows.

Hey, you got something againt Jersey and New York guys?

Tom Jones puts 'em all to shame -- the suckiest of the sucky, unless you want to raise the specter or Tiny Tim.

I wouldn't have thought I'd ever find myself defending Tom Jones, but when I saw him on the Tiny Desk thing from NPR a while ago he killed with just his voice and a single guitar player.

Just check out the first song (starts at about :36). He can sing for real even at his age.

I wouldn't have thought I'd ever find myself defending Tom Jones, but when I saw him on the Tiny Desk thing from NPR a while ago he killed with just his voice and a single guitar player.

Just check out the first song (starts at about :36). He can sing for real even at his age.

That's a pretty strong performance, and he looks to be pretty healthy. How old was he in that video?

It looks like about sixty-eight and three quarters.

I would have to say Journey is my version of BJ, they suck!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom