is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel? (2 Viewers)

is there any musician more irritating and overrated than billy joel?

• no, he makes me want to kill innocent women and children

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • musicians make music and billy joel creates audible ebola, so i dismiss the question as meaningless

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
Just now remembered that I started off my morning today getting trolled by PCF.

b6uajV4.png

I've stayed out of this thread on purpose for a long time - but like finally admitting at your first AA meeting you have a problem, here goes:

I'd argue that there are at least 5 Billy Joel songs which compare more than favorably to anything else out there musically and lyrically (and written by him) from any other artist and would be considered all-time musical greats in its comparable genre.

I'd also argue he has some steaming piles of crap on his resume as well.

AC/DC to me is pretty irritating. Not thewhole band, just Brian Johnson. Every time I hear him sing I'm reminded of Donald Duck. And what's up with those school-boy uniforms? I just don't get it.
the real AC/DC went down with Bon Scott's tragic passing, that was a band and he belted out some great tunes

Billy Joel ...... " he knows that it's me ( the great Billy Joel ) they've been coming to see. " - oh brother
"They put bread in my jar and say man what are you ( the great Billy Joel ) doing here ? with a bunch of schleps like us . I mean you are , after all, the great billy Joel.
He Is a self-important egomaniac with very little talent. Why can't he just go home and leave us alone

I'd also argue he has some steaming piles of crap on his resume as well.

I can get behind at least this part.

Billy Joel ...... " he knows that it's me ( the great Billy Joel ) they've been coming to see. " - oh brother
"They put bread in my jar and say man what are you ( the great Billy Joel ) doing here ? with a bunch of schleps like us . I mean you are , after all, the great billy Joel.
He Is a self-important egomaniac with very little talent. Why can't he just go home and leave us alone

It's so strange. It's like the guy who learned to play acoustic guitar just to get laid in college all of a sudden started selling out arenas and said to himself, "Damn, I gotta find at least eleven different ways to put these four chords together if I'm gonna write a whole album."

It's like the guy who learned to play acoustic guitar just to get laid in college all of a sudden started selling out arenas and said to himself, "Damn, I gotta find at least eleven different ways to put these four chords together if I'm gonna write a whole album."
That's exactly how I feel about Jim Morrison. Except in his case, it's only four notes. Most over-hyped dead musician ever.

Was he yelling "stop lighting the audience"?

That's what I heard. I'll cue this up next time someone starts blathering about how Kanye or someone is too dramatic and therefore they can't like his music.

Also don't miss the awesome keytar on stage in that clip.

That's what I heard. I'll cue this up next time someone starts blathering about how Kanye or someone is too dramatic and therefore they can't like his music.

Also don't miss the awesome keytar on stage in that clip.

wonder if he misses Christie Brinkley.....
......what a dolt

i heard piano man on my way into work this morning was like goddammit today's gonna be a good one!!

If I changed the station before I heard 3 bars, it would be "whew, that was a close call. "
Heard 3fer from Geils band that was rockin. One last kiss> surrender> piss on the wall.
Good stuff

He was on Colbert's show pretty recently but I decided against trolling you with a YouTube link.

How could he be the worst ever when Gene Simmons walks the planet?

I'm not a fan of all his songs but there are some good ones in his catalog.

Gene Simmons is a bassist. He is one of the worlds best marketers. Not one of the greats but belonged to one of the best marketed bands.

Billy Joel was just plain over rated

How could he be the worst ever when Gene Simmons walks the planet?

I'm not a fan of all his songs but there are some good ones in his catalog.

Gene Simmons is a bassist. He is one of the worlds best marketers. Not one of the greats but belonged to one of the best marketed bands.

Billy Joel was just plain over rated

When I was a kid, back when there was no such thing as streaming music or youtube, I asked for every Kiss (and solo) album for Christmas. Never regretted that decision.

Kiss is amazing. They are exactly correctly ranked because for every Kiss fanboy, there are a hundred indierock dickfaces (I know you aren't an indierock dickface BPT ;)) who don't see how great they are. Fortunately things do seem to be pulling back toward the pro-Kiss camp in the last few years, but for a while everyone I played in bands with and everyone who thought themselves musically educated talked shit about Kiss.

They have so many songs that get summarily dismissed because they're Kiss songs when they would be LOVED if they came from any other band. If someone leaked a bunch of unreleased Big Star tracks and Flaming Youth came out with an Alex Chilton songwriting credit, hipsters would be blasting it.

Same story if Drive-By Truckers put out Room Service as a b-side.

I could go on. One of Kiss' biggest accomplishments is being thought of by some as hard rock or metal when they're at their core a pop band. Of course that's where the marketing genius comes in and it was certainly that. But it's the music that makes them truly great.

To the best of my recollection, there have been 3 Kiss references on Family Guy, and 3 Billy Joel references.

At some point you just have to accept both are awesome, and it is just narrow-mindedness that prevents you from truly enjoying everything life has to offer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom