Giveaway Lady Luck Hotstamp Tournament T25 & T100 plus MORE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular Omaha (different than Omaha Hi/Lo) is exactly like Holdem but with 4 cards.
Correction: It is like holdem, except you must use 2 hole cards. No more, no less. This is a very important rule for beginners to learn. If you were dealt quad 2s, you have 3 cards from the board and a pair of 2s (and the worst possible starting hand in Omaha).

The game is Big-O. It's holdem but 5 private cards instead of 2. Like Holdem, 2 private cards can be used to make a 5-card hand. 5 private cards simply generate more action.

Biggest difference comes in the Hi/Lo aspect. High hands are as normal, but low hands work like this:

1. Low hands must have 5x non-paired cards that are 8 or below to 'qualify' (Aces are High & Low)
Note: this means that the board must have at least three low cards for a low pot to even exist
2. Lowest 5 card hand wins (5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - A beats 6 - 4 - 3 - 2 - A beats 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 [this last one is the worst qualifying low hand, even 8 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 2 beats it])

High winner gets half pot, low winner gets half pot. Best scenario is you get the whole pot!

Fun game because there is tons of action, stacks get in quickly, and you get to see some big hands

Hope this helps.

Edit: Omaha "Hi/Lo" is the same thing as Big-O but with 4 cards. Regular Omaha (different than Omaha Hi/Lo) is exactly like Holdem but with 4 cards. They're all very similar games since they're variations of Holdem. Think of them as cousins with the same hand rankings but with very different strategy.

Other names for Omaha Hi/Lo are PLO-8 (this is pot limit), Omaha Hi/Lo, OH/L, O8+, Omaha 8's or better, Omaha Split, Omaha Split Hi/Lo, or any variation of this
Thanks for a great explanation. I wasn't too familiar with the game either and did a little research after signing up for this. Seems like the hardest part is assessing the value of the hole cards dealt pre-flop. I've been dealing some hands just for grins. Getting very few hands where low even comes into play. I'm just dealing 4 hands though. Last night my final hand dealt had quads, a full house and a royal flush! Wow! That's gonna be a BIG pot!

Hand selection is so massively important in Big O, even more so than PLO/8.

If it's a small full house (i.e. 2's-5's full) it's probably no good in Big O. :) Small pairs are the worst unless they also make a good low hand, because flopping bottom set in Big O suuuuuuuucks. Hell, even when flopping top set, you're flipping a lot post-flop if the board is any kind of wet.

It goes without saying, please call me out if I miss a high or low hand. I'm triple checking my work but it's not hard to miss a hand in BigO.

43mm time...
20200512_103911.jpg

Hand selection is so massively important in Big O, even more so than PLO/8.

If it's a small full house (i.e. 2's-5's full) it's probably no good in Big O. :) Small pairs are the worst unless they also make a good low hand, because flopping bottom set in Big O suuuuuuuucks. Hell, even when flopping top set, you're flipping a lot post-flop if the board is any kind of wet.
Hand 1 was pocket 8s. Hand 2 pocket Js. Hand 3 A-T hearts. Dealer had garbage.

Flop came K-J-8 all hearts. 2 sets and a nut flush. How big does hand 3 bet not to scare off the sets?
Turn was Q hearts. Nut flush becomes a royal. Are the sets going to fold if the royal slow bets? 8s also have a flush, but with very low hole cards.
River comes with the fourth 8, also giving Js a full house. Would Jacks think they have the top hand and call a big bet? I suppose quads have to be concerned about a straight flush since it can be made with either A-T or T-9. But surely not concerned enough to fold, even an all-in bet.

Hand 1 was pocket 8s. Hand 2 pocket Js. Hand 3 A-T hearts. Dealer had garbage.

Flop came K-J-8 all hearts. 2 sets and a nut flush. How big does hand 3 bet not to scare off the sets?
Turn was Q hearts. Nut flush becomes a royal. Are the sets going to fold if the royal slow bets? 8s also have a flush, but with very low hole cards.
River comes with the fourth 8, also giving Js a full house. Would Jacks think they have the top hand and call a big bet? I suppose quads have to be concerned about a straight flush since it can be made with either A-T or T-9. But surely not concerned enough to fold, even an all-in bet.

As with most situations, it depends on the players and the betting, but I'd probably have snap-folded 88 on the turn. You probably only have 1 out in BigO there. Any card that pairs the board is a broadway card and most people that stay in to see that turn in a Big O pot with that board will have some combo that makes a bigger full, and as you said, two straight flushes, the nut flush, and the ten high flush (IF you do have two small hearts) beat you. It's a very bad spot for 88, and that's why bottom set sucks in BigO.

I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I'm crazy. I have been setting up shop in different locations depending on time of day. Last stop was the bedroom floor and she was trying to figure out what I was doing.

She wanted me to admit that I was doing this for my own enjoyment and that no-one else would be entertained. Lol.

Trying to figure out which chips to use next. Maybe time for the Lady Luck's to get the T5 into play before they are chipped up in round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom