Need recommendation - chips for a home cash game (3 Viewers)

Yeah, once this is sorted out, I will start a thread about the right way to run a tourney,

This in part why my brain hurts, lol

For me, this is putting the cart before the horse. As BG pointed out, 7pages of posts, all circular, and the solution/nor the true question, have yet to be determined. Lol.

Without knowing how to run a tournament, the OP should either say, I want to run a tourney with X players, how many chips should I get... And what breakdown? Then Let us BGs provide their input. Done.

To interject the hybrid cash game chip breakdown into the equation, and continually rehash the same tourney questions, has made this thread last entirely too long. Lol.

Love the OP's desire to get this nailed down, but I dont think the OP knows enough to even ask all the right questions. I think we are slowly getting there, but it's a process.

I welcome new people to the forum and encourage questions. It's how we all learned about running tournaments/games. However at this point I think the only way you're going to get it, is to run your own tourney.

You're getting a nice set of chips, and you should be proud of them. but what we all understand (that you don't yet get) is that you'll be getting more chips eventually. Add-ons. Different sets entirely. Etc... I started with 600 Milanos, and at one point had 2400 of them...

To stress over 50 chips here or there is nominal. Melanos cost .30/chip. To add on 50-100 is like $15-30. Get your set based on our recommendations, and if you feel you need extras, buy addons and sell the ones you dont need (for a small loss).

Don't stress. We are here for you. :)

Reactions: 72o
Good points all around.

Sometimes, you just have to grab a set and get to the table. You'll figure out where your crowd feels the pain (too many color ups, not enough of the workhorse chips for their style of play, "This color reminds me of baby poo", and then someone's going to spill their whiskey on half a rack and you'll have a whole different problem on your hands).

Pick something that's close, but makes you happy (Get the $10s. Do it. You won't regret it.) and start playing. The rest, you'll see, is learned on the fly.

Yeah, don't use T100 to color up T25's. You'll have too many T100's on the table soon enough - why bring them on to take them off in the next break?!?

Hypothetical, let's say you have eight players with 12 chips, or 96 T25 in play and want to run them off. That's T2400 total.

Put two T1000 and a T500 in an empty rack (you need at least 2400, these three chips are 2500). Take the rack to the table. Buy T100's from the big stacks; you should now have twenty-five T100 in the rack, still 2500.

Then use the T100 to get as many T25 as you can change out. If things break evenly and you can pick them all up, you'll have ninety-six T25 and one T100 in the rack. Total value still 2500. Take them away. 2500 in, 2500 out.

Most importantly, you've taken 97 chips off the table while bringing three in, for a net reduction of 94 chips. Which is what you want - less chips on the table. You don't want to bring on more 100's, just to take them off again... plus, remember, everyone started with 12 hundos, but now some people have dropped out (or rebought): on average, each person now has MORE than 12 hundos already; you don't want to bring more on!

and that will be the time for me to color up the $100s and $500s

Actually, you never need to color up the T500. With eight buy-ins, you only have 24 of them on the table. Just leave 'em. It's the T25 and T100 that will be getting in the way. When you're down to three players, 200 extra chips in tiny values to push around is a problem. But an extra 12 chips among three players is no different at all. (It's only 12 extra because if you were to use 12 T1000 to replace the 24 T500, you only take 12 off the table.)

Yeah, don't use T100 to color up T25's. You'll have too many T100's on the table soon enough - why bring them on to take them off in the next break?!?

Hypothetical, let's say you have eight players with 12 chips, or 96 T25 in play and want to run them off. That's T2400 total.

Put two T1000 and a T500 in an empty rack (you need at least 2400, these three chips are 2500). Take the rack to the table. Buy T100's from the big stacks; you should now have twenty-five T100 in the rack, still 2500.

Then use the T100 to get as many T25 as you can change out. If things break evenly and you can pick them all up, you'll have ninety-six T25 and one T100 in the rack. Total value still 2500. Take them away. 2500 in, 2500 out.

Most importantly, you've taken 97 chips off the table while bringing three in, for a net reduction of 94 chips. Which is what you want - less chips on the table. You don't want to bring on more 100's, just to take them off again... plus, remember, everyone started with 12 hundos, but now some people have dropped out (or rebought): on average, each person now has MORE than 12 hundos already; you don't want to bring more on!

This makes complete and total sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

In my case, if I have 10 players who start off with 12 X $25 chips = T3000. I would take 3 X $1000 chips out my bank, buy three stacks of 10 X $100 chips from whoever can sell it to me, in exchange for 3 X $1000 chip, and then use the $100s I get to buy the $25 chips off the table. Works perfectly.

Net effect = +3 X $1000 chips on table, $100 chips are unchanged, and $25 chips are removed. Awesomeness.

Is there a similar trick to color up the $100s & $500s (at the same time during break #2) into $1000s?

Last edited:
Well, if you've got 10 persons times 12 hundos = 120 chips worth T12,000 on the table and you want them off...

Bring in three of those pretty T5,000 chips. That's worth T15,000. Same deal; buy fifteen T1000 chips, and use them to pull off 12,000 in hundos and and six of your thirty T500, too.

I'd just leave the other 24 T500 on the table. But if you insist, bring in another pair of T5,000... that will leave you with just four T500 on the table. Just leave them in play.

Hell, you may need to leave them in play, if each player has an odd amount. Players can get to resent having their lowest chip raffled off, when the lowest chip is at the bigger end of the spectrum.

Well, if you've got 10 persons times 12 hundos = 120 chips worth T12,000 on the table and you want them off...

Bring in three of those pretty T5,000 chips. That's worth T15,000. Same deal; buy fifteen T1000 chips, and use them to pull off 12,000 in hundos and and six of your thirty T500, too.

I'd just leave the other 24 T500 on the table. But if you insist, bring in another pair of T5,000... that will leave you with just four T500 on the table. Just leave them in play.

Hell, you may need to leave them in play, if each player has an odd amount. Players can get to resent having their lowest chip raffled off, when the lowest chip is at the bigger end of the spectrum.
This is why I like rounding up when coloring up. It really makes it easier, and no one complains, and it barely makes a difference.

Murphy's law.........

The 25c Milano at Brybelly is out of stock, and the $1000 Majestic at Apache is out of stock too.

It's ok though. More time for research :)

How long are these chips normally OOS?

So I'm waiting for the 25c Milano (or maybe the $1000 Majestic if it comes in stock sooner). No idea how long this will take. In the interim Ive learned a ton though this forum. TY guys.

I hope I got these numbers right (especially the color up affects on the chip numbers). No stupid mistakes! This is a note to self. I've exhausted your feedback.

1) Cash set = 500 chips (allows for $20-$50 buy-ins, starting stacks of 40+ chips resulting in looser play, and decent stakes to keep me busy for the foreseeable future)
2) 10 player tourney set = 400 chips (WSOP starting structure and denoms, also if we want higher stakes, we can play more tourneys)
3) I'm probably going to go with the 1000 Milano birdcage (cheapest option), and spend the extra 100 chips on prepping for a 20 player tourney set (so +25 X $500 and +75 X $1000). This will fullfill those denom chip requirements so I dont need to buy more down the road (i.e no risk of color differences). The only place I'm exposed are with the $25s and the $100s. Cool part though is that I'm only 250 chips short of a 20 player tourney set (125 X both the $25s and $100s).

Maybe one question - on the final color up, do I have the ratio of $5000 to $1000 about right? I just used all the $5000 chips available and it came out to about 1:3 (with around 90 chips on the table). I wasnt sure what I should be targeting. TY.

Cash game

Cash game.png

10 player tourney

Tourney 10 players.png

20 player tourney

Tourney 20 players.png

Officially not reading this thread anymore... Not trying to be rude, I literally can't read all the spreadsheets. I need reading glasses apparently.

:)

Officially not reading this thread anymore... Not trying to be rude, I literally can't read all the spreadsheets. I need reading glasses apparently.

:)

No man I totally get it haha. As I said, this is a note to self. Please dont bother with it. Must be driving you nuts.

I did have one legit question though. On the final color up, do I have the ratio of $5000 to $1000 about right? I just used all the $5000 chips available and it came out to about 1:3 (with around 90 chips on the table). I wasnt sure what I should be targeting. Thanks man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom