Official Home Game Pics Thread! (35 Viewers)

Pictured from left to right is Dean 80, Cecil 81, and Bob 78.

View attachment 1164261

All three grew up together. Cecil is the only one who moved away, joining the army out of high school. He served his four and returned home where he started his own roofing business, employing Bob. Dean is 6'2 and was the regions star basketball player in high school.

View attachment 1164271

Dean and Cecil did very well cleaning up at cards during the nineties and early two-thousands when the economy was running strong and the games played big. Many local players in their fifties and sixties credit Cecil for shaping their game. I admire Dean's card playing skills and credit him with being the better card-player of the two. Cecil may have lost his edge over time or perhaps he hasn't kept up with the competition. Nonetheless, his legend status remains.

Thought I would capture a couple of pictures this evening for posterity.

I love these kinds of stories

New game is gonna have growing pains, right? The other 2 couples are gonna be between 25 and 40 minutes late. Im going to teach them how to play, then immediately check raise them.
No good pics, but ended up having lots of fun. Microstakes NLHE, getting to know some new people. Concensus was that the Angels were too slippery and they'd rather shuffle and play with paper cards, and I was a dumbass for buying cards that cost as much as most of our buyins.

New guy did rather well for the night and as others dropped out he said he wanted to play "1 on 1". I asked him if he was sure, but the confidence had gotten to him, he was feelin like Scarface.

Took him for most of his winnings and he swore he'd be back! In for $10, out for $22
20230714_191514.jpg

No good pics, but ended up having lots of fun. Microstakes NLHE, getting to know some new people. Concensus was that the Angels were too slippery and they'd rather shuffle and play with paper cards, and I was a dumbass for buying cards that cost as much as most of our buyins.

New guy did rather well for the night and as others dropped out he said he wanted to play "1 on 1". I asked him if he was sure, but the confidence had gotten to him, he was feelin like Scarface.

Took him for most of his winnings and he swore he'd be back! In for $10, out for $22
View attachment 1164338
Stick to your guns.

Poker players are super finicky. I think it has do do with something scientific, like the luck vortex. Any change to the cards, even for the better, will result in complaints. New decks are always super slippery. They will wear-in in time. Meanwhile, a slick deck shuffles better creating a more randomized shuffle. They also wear slower, saving you money over the long term.

I used to buy paper cards in bulk. I loved a good, fresh set of Bicycles. Cracking a brand new deck was glorious. Then I tried plastic cards. People hated them. "Too slick". I stuck with the plastic cards, and players love them now. The only time I hear "these are too slippery" is when I open a fresh deck from a different manufacturer, or when we have a first-timer.

Stick to your guns.

Poker players are super finicky. I think it has do do with something scientific, like the luck vortex. Any change to the cards, even for the better, will result in complaints. New decks are always super slippery. They will wear-in in time. Meanwhile, a slick deck shuffles better creating a more randomized shuffle. They also wear slower, saving you money over the long term.

I used to buy paper cards in bulk. I loved a good, fresh set of Bicycles. Cracking a brand new deck was glorious. Then I tried plastic cards. People hated them. "Too slick". I stuck with the plastic cards, and players love them now. The only time I hear "these are too slippery" is when I open a fresh deck from a different manufacturer, or when we have a first-timer.

I'm sure the same thing can be said about 4-colour decks. Or even transition from dice chips to clay.

Any change will almost always be met with resistance. "Don’t fix something that's not broken." You don't know what you don't know.

View attachment 1164338
People don't know what they want, I'd thank them for the input and schedule the next game =).

Stick to your guns.

Oh, 100%, I dont take advice from any of these mooks, and its my house/cards/chips/liquor so they know we dont take demands. Hell, I dont even take song requests.

Last edited:
Concensus was that the Angels were too slippery
Let me guess. They weren’t doing proper poker dealer shuffles.
I loved those Angel Aristos when I got them too. But I noticed they were very slippery doing a typical home game shuffle, where you finish the riffle by bending the cards into that big fun bridge thingy. I blame it on the fact they they have a different finish on each side. Or, more likely, because one of the sides’ finish is smooth.

My bottom line is that I don’t care HOW my players shuffle, as long as the cards aren’t too slippery their methods. So those pretty Angels got crossed off my list.

New Bay Pony Cantina chips from BRPRO hit the felt on the home court for the first time last night (Played a couple of away games). We play for dimes so white chip is $0.10, red is $0.50 and so on.
Getting setup:
1689519137669.png

1689519264340.png

During the game:
1689519354685.png

I always forget to take pics of the big pots. Biggest pot of the night was on a JQQ board after I raised preflop AQs to 20 dimes from the button. Short stack is all in on the flop when I bet 50. Turn is another J, I bet 100. River is some brick the non all in player bets 200 and I shove for 605 putting him all in. He has a J, short stack has the last Q. I wish I had got a pic of the board / pot but here is my stack right after and it dawned on me to snap a pic.
1689519888824.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom