Official Horse Race Game Thread (4 Viewers)

Do you do this in addition to the traditional way of playing the game (with scratched horses and cards), or is this the only way to win money in your version?
We play either the tradtional way or this way. We do not scratch horses when we play the non-traditional way, but I guess you could.

IMG_7706.gif

IMG_7704.jpeg

Inspired by craps and wanting to elevate the playing experience from the small board with the ability to throw dice

Can be featured as a side table or the main event

Yea, we love this game

The track

View attachment 1340512
View attachment 1340513

The HHR horses

View attachment 1340514View attachment 1340515

The penalty buttons

View attachment 1340516View attachment 1340517

The "jockey" dice

View attachment 1340518

wow. that's one hell of a setup!

curious if you chose the spot patterns or just used extra setups david had laying around? because the 7 horse is my T100 lol.

wow. that's one hell of a setup!

curious if you chose the spot patterns or just used extra setups david had laying around? because the 7 horse is my T100 lol.

I sent out a wanted ad awhile back seeking variety in an attempt to create the look of jockey silks.

David contributed a selection of samples, as did a few other members, and these were what made the cut.

I sent out a wanted ad awhile back seeking variety in an attempt to create the look of jockey silks.

David contributed a selection of samples, as did a few other members, and these were what made the cut.

nice - it's definitely my T100 then. i am honored it was chosen as the lucrative pony #7!

Now that it appears we’ve gotten a bunch of PCFers hooked on the amazingness that is the horse race game, I guess it’s time for a dedicated thread.
View attachment 878159
View attachment 878153View attachment 878152View attachment 878151
View attachment 878150
Feel free to post pr0n of your horses in action, as well as any thoughts on modifications to the rules, or how you are incorporating the game into your poker nights.

I’ll start us off. We started making players that roll doubles roll again. Nothing better than watching someone keep rolling a number of a scratched horse who has to keep rolling (and paying the pot).
Where do you get this game at?

WP, you are a bad/good influence on me!!

View attachment 878161

Haven't had a chance to play yet, but hopefully soon! (the lines on the right hand board are tentative cut and drill lines - thinking about cutting it and adding hinges to make it more portable and also need to add some scratched holes below the starting gate).
Where do you get these at? And they are the same game?

Inspired by craps and wanting to elevate the playing experience from the small board with the ability to throw dice

Yea, we love this game

The track

View attachment 1340512
View attachment 1340513

The HHR horses

The penalty buttons

The "jockey" dice

View attachment 1340518

Holy hell that's one incredible layout! Did you design it yourself??

Yea, we love this game

The track

View attachment 1340512
View attachment 1340513

This is epic! Next level type sh*t! Well done!
The HHR horses

The penalty buttons

The "jockey" dice

View attachment 1340518

How is the Jockey Fee pot built? Is it paid as a race entry fee?
Four horses are scratched prior to the race. Each horse has a designated penalty amount. The pot is built when a player rolls a number matching one of the scratched horses and they pay that horses penalty amount. Any roll that is not of a scratched horse advances the horse with that number one position.

Four horses are scratched prior to the race. Each horse has a designated penalty amount. The pot is built when a player rolls a number matching one of the scratched horses and they pay that horses penalty amount. Any roll that is not of a scratched horse advances the horse with that number one position.

Thanks for the explanation and cool video.

I was thinking about the "Jockey Fee" as a separate pot that goes to the player whose roll gets the winning horse across the finish line.
I saw that in some games the jockey fee pot is comprised of the uneven number of chips leftover after the winners are paid. I also saw that in someone game that each player pays a quarter into the Jockey Fee at the start of the game. I'm wondering what other ways a jockey fee is built.

Thanks for the explanation and cool video.

I was thinking about the "Jockey Fee" as a separate pot that goes to the player whose roll gets the winning horse across the finish line.
I saw that in some games the jockey fee pot is comprised of the uneven number of chips leftover after the winners are paid. I also saw that in someone game that each player pays a quarter into the Jockey Fee at the start of the game. I'm wondering what other ways a jockey fee is built.
I play where the jockey fee is a separate pot players pay into prior to the race. Leftover money from race pot after split is also added to jockey pot.

I play where the jockey fee is a separate pot players pay into prior to the race. Leftover money from race pot after split is also added to jockey pot.
This sounds like the way to do it. How much are collecting from each player for your Jockey Fee?

We’ll be horse racing during my .25/.25 poker game so the race will be a .25/.50/.75/$1 race.

Depends on players' risk capacity and the number of players. More players means the pot is bigger, even if the ante amount is small. Fewer players probably means bigger ante, but higher chance of winning it.

I recently played with .50 ante into jockey pot and .50 initial ante into race pot. Then I do our card draft and then scratch horses to make the pot grow.

Does everybody use dice cups or just roll with their hands?
20240629_145103.jpg

20240624_084253.jpg

20240629_100608.jpg

Last edited:

Yea, we love this game

The track

View attachment 1340512
View attachment 1340513

The HHR horses

The penalty buttons

The "jockey" dice

View attachment 1340518
This is great! I like how the horses are chips and you built the track as part of your table. I imagine this layout would make it quick and easy to play in a mixed game scenario instead of having to break out the board and horses.

Another gambling game I'd never heard of. It looks like it mostly plays itself and is almost 100% luck based though? Or did I miss something when reading about it?

Still looks like a ton of fun though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom