Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (50 Viewers)

Ok. I have a problem now. They’re all unique, and I blame @Irish for breaking the cherry.

IMG_6022.jpeg

Finally getting around to popping this open. Initial thoughts are this is delicious (wonderful nose). Though probably not $120+ delicious lol

View attachment 1323874
This is the problem with at least 90% of the bottles over $100. Well, two problems, actually. First, the bottle has to be better than similar offerings that are under $100. Some don’t even make it that far. Then second, it has to be enough better to justify the 2x or 3x (or worse!) multiplier on price, and that is where most of them fail.

This is the problem with at least 90% of the bottles over $100. Well, two problems, actually. First, the bottle has to be better than similar offerings that are under $100. Some don’t even make it that far. Then second, it has to be enough better to justify the 2x or 3x (or worse!) multiplier on price, and that is where most of them fail.

I Get It Yes GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

Doesn't mean I won't still buy them :wtf:

....just not as often. :)

Ok. I have a problem now. They’re all unique, and I blame @Irish for breaking the cherry.

View attachment 1324063
Looking at this shelf again, you've got me beat at this point lol. I have 4 different bottles at the moment, and one rye.

Thought about making a margarita for cinco de mayo.... then thought better :wtf:

20240505_200450.jpg

IMG_7308.jpeg
I’m gonna need a backup of this one. This is fantastic! Easily could be mistaken for a high rye bourbon. The nose is on the lighter side but you can really take a good whiff without any ethanol burn. All the classic bourbon notes are there…oak, barrel char, caramel and vanilla along with a nice baking spice. The first sip screams homemade carrot cake. Rich vanilla cream cheese frosting and baking spice immediately come to mind. Drizzled caramel follows along with the char and oak. The finish is not quite as long as I’d like but it’s very spicy in a good way. Slight drying oak at the very end tells me this is a rather mature barrel. Again…this could easily be mistaken for a bourbon and I love it! This is exactly what I was hoping the extra proof would deliver but there’s so much more in this bottle. Exceeded my expectations by a mile!

Last edited:
My local place still has CASES of this, if anyone wants one during the NJ meetup (or PA meetup for that matter). I think it is in the $65 range.
Regional differences can be strange. I was near downtown last month, so I stopped in at our local, high volume liquor store that typically has everything that's available in Houston. They had a shelf tag for it, so I asked the guy working in the whiskey aisle if there was any in the back. He said they only get a case or two at a time, and it always sells out the day it comes in. All the reviews have been solid, so I'm looking forward to cracking it open tonight.

FYI, if I love it, I may reach out to have you pick up a couple more for me. I'm planning to be at PHL in September.

I'm curious about the American Single Malt whiskeys, but at $66 and only 90 proof, I'd pass on that one too.

I'm curious about the American Single Malt whiskeys, but at $66 and only 90 proof, I'd pass on that one too.
Haven't had many American single malts, but I've enjoyed Stranahan's. Similar to non-peated Scotch. I have a bottle of the original and the sherry cask on my scotch shelf. I believe they are 94 proof, I think I paid $55 for the original and $65-70 for the sherry cask. On my 3rd bottle of the original.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom