SAVE YOUR MONEY (4 Viewers)

Will there be a contest to guess closest to total chip count in a barrel or weight of a barrel?

63636670-D466-4689-9989-15D323F658DD.gif

Last edited:
Hopin’ for some stuff to “fall off the back of a truck”...
I know what you say was in jest, but you know not what you say. A few years back a nice spotted, hot stamped rack that Jim offered had some pretty blue fractionals with it. Unfortunately the container with those in it was badly damaged and very few actually survived. ‘Twas mightily sad. Hoping nothing gets dropped or lost with this one.

I'm surprised no one has calculated how many chips will fit in a barrel.

I'll take a barrel sight unseen.

I did the math but didn't post it earleier because there are too many variables... but since you were wondering

Main variable, how are they packed in the drum?

Just dumped in, no more than ~53000 a barrel (39mm leaving 10% loss for air space)
but that exceeds the weight limit of those barrels which is 825 pounds*
so I would say no more than 40000 max (per barrel) but they probably played it safe and only filled them to about 30000 a barrel.

Then of course, they could be in boxes or other packaging materials inside the drums which would lower the chips per drum.

I would guess about a half million chips (total).

Personally, I'm more interested in what they look like than how many there are.

*Uline sells all kinds of industrial products you can find the details on the website

Dang. Just hearing everyone talk about how these sales go makes a new chipper like myself feel like I’ve got no chance. Maybe I’ll at least get some valuable experience from it!! Haha

I did the math but didn't post it earleier because there are too many variables... but since you were wondering

Main variable, how are they packed in the drum?

Just dumped in, no more than ~53000 a barrel (39mm leaving 10% loss for air space)
but that exceeds the weight limit of those barrels which is 825 pounds*
so I would say no more than 40000 max (per barrel) but they probably played it safe and only filled them to about 30000 a barrel.

Then of course, they could be in boxes or other packaging materials inside the drums which would lower the chips per drum.

I would guess about a half million chips (total).

Personally, I'm more interested in what they look like than how many there are.

*Uline sells all kinds of industrial products you can find the details on the website
The rumors would suggest that you, in the words of Mona Lisa Vito, are dead on balls accurate. Either you've heard those rumors, or you're a barrel savant. Or everybody's way wrong.

Can’t someone do that movie thing where they say “Zoom in on the tags on those cardboard boxes... Closer... Closer... OK, now enhance!”

Hopefully the chips are THC and mint.

I like the way you think but unfortunately it seems like rhc is the way most places go now. Not sure if GPI pushes them in that direction or what. Maybe they get a better deal on rhc because gpi knows they are less durable and will need to be replaced sooner. Who knows but thc would be a great score.

Dang. Just hearing everyone talk about how these sales go makes a new chipper like myself feel like I’ve got no chance. Maybe I’ll at least get some valuable experience from it!! Haha
At the last sale, Jim sold sets and individual chips. IIRC, the individual chips sold out before the sets. So if you're interested in a set of these chips, don't worry too much. And Jim's breakdowns are pretty good (not 100 of each color). I thought I recalled that he consulted with @BGinGA on tournament breakdowns in the past.

If you're going after individual chips (either to fill in a set you started, or to make your own set with a unique breakdown that serves your needs), your success will depend on the number available. Given that there are 18 drums of chips plus, with an estimated 40,000 chips per barrel, there should be a lot to go around.

I know the feeling, I just joined a couple of months ago and have not experienced anything that Jim has put up. So yes I’m excited but I’m not getting hopes up at all because by the looks of it there may not be a chance for a newbie to have a legitimate shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom