***SPOILERS*** Star Wars the Force Awakens Open Discusion Thread ***SPOILERS*** (1 Viewer)

Well I just saw it last night and thought it was the bees knees. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

There were things I didn't hate about it. Visually it was absolutely stunning. Whether it was the crashed star destroyer that Rey was scavenging from or the battles in space, I think they did a fantastic job there.

The acting from Finn and Rey were both well done and I think they'll make fine additions to the series.

The humor sprinkled throughout was well received, whether it was BB8 giving the "thumbs up" with his little lighter/torch thing or the two storm troopers turning on their heels and going the other way when they hear Kylo Ren having a hissy fit. #EscapeNowHugLater

Not unbelievable at all. How did Luke know about cloud city dangers while he was training on degobah? He had a connection to his friends, sensed they were in danger. Plausible that Leia, who has some force sensativity, could sense the death of her long time mate and father to her child, at the hands of her force weilding son.... Ya, screams "disturbance" in the force

But I agree with your assessment of the new order general

I feel like some of you guys go in to movies and/or shows looking to find things to complain about. Whatever your reasons are, let them go... I guarantee your viewing experience will become far more enjoyable :)

I am not even close to a Star Wars nerd and honestly could not care less about all of the supposed unanswered questions about the story/characters, plot holes or whatever, and so on and so forth that I've read about and/or heard from folks. But we finally got around to seeing this on Friday night and were thoroughly entertained. :)

I feel like some of you guys go in to movies and/or shows looking to find things to complain about. Whatever your reasons are, let them go... I guarantee your viewing experience will become far more enjoyable :)

I went into this with high hopes actually, perhaps that was the issue. I just didn't get the magic from it I had from the originals. It's actually been quite a long time since much that Hollywood has put out that I felt really worked for me. Probably going back over a decade to films like Braveheart, Event Horizon, etc. that I enjoyed thoroughly and would rewatch over and over.

I went into this with high hopes actually, perhaps that was the issue. I just didn't get the magic from it I had from the originals.
And you were how old when you saw the originals? That, my friend, is an unreasonable expectation.
Anthony Martino said:
It's actually been quite a long time since much that Hollywood has put out that I felt really worked for me. Probably going back over a decade
Read post #63 a couple more times ;)

I go to movies to be entertained... I've worked in public safety for my entire career, including a stint as a firefighter. I was a hardcore firefighter, and back when the movie backdraft came out, we had to go see it. It was a very entertaining movie, but I had several co-workers who were complaining over and over about all the inaccuracies and Hollywood trickeries that didn't make sense, etc...

My feelings were simple, Hollywood is 100% fake, and if I expected everything it puts out to be accurate and believable, I'd never be happy. Hollywood's only job is to entertain, not create historically accurate renditions of life (want that? walk outside and look around). Backdraft was entertaining, so I told my co-horts to STFU, stop belly aching, and go clean the damn ladder truck again (if they craved realism of life in a firehouse).

To be more fair and less harsh here's how I break out the scores for different aspects of the movie:

Light Side Casting: A
Dark Side Casting: C
Visuals: A
Sound Effects: A
Music: C+
Comedic Dialogue & Situations: B+
Plot & Storyline: C

To be more fair and less harsh here's how I break out the scores for different aspects of the movie:

Light Side Casting: A
Dark Side Casting: C
Visuals: A
Sound Effects: A
Music: C+
Comedic Dialogue & Situations: B+
Plot & Storyline: C
If all grades are equal that amounts to a solid B+ ;)

I've seen the movie 3 times now and it became a topic of conversation at @bergs' game this weekend. I think @JoseRijo and I agreed that the fact that the movie lifts the majority of its plot from A New Hope (and some elements of Empire) causes its rating to go down when viewed in the context of the entire franchise, but that it was an absolute blast in theaters.

Speaking for myself, I put a significant amount of stock in first-watch enjoyability and this movie had it in spades. Just an absolute blast, particularly to see it on opening night with a bunch of Star Wars nerds in the audience. It's sort of like seeing a horror movie in a packed theater. It makes it all the more enjoyable. I guess some could say it gives the movie an unfair boost, but I disagree. I see movies like this to have a good time. If I want intellectually stimulating movies that will stick in my head to get mulled over for weeks, I'll look someplace else.

I'm surprised to see negative comments on the score. I'm also surprised that I see I didn't praise it earlier. I loved it and even more so by the third watch. Rey's Theme, one of the more subtle themes among the new material is my favorite:

Another very positive attribute of the movie is that it sets up all future movies extremely well. The fact that we weren't spoonfed the details of this or that - despite the fact that it is the source of much whining - is exactly why the movie sets up future films well. They will be able to mine a lot of the material that has been left unclear at this point.

George Lucas' recent quotes also came up in conversation at the game this weekend. Evidently he said to some reporter that Disney wanted to "retro" movies and that those are exactly the movies he was trying to avoid making. I actually think this is a good point, but has little weight since this guy, when given all the license and means to do whatever he wanted turned out some absolute garbage.

If someone said that The Force Awakens is weak because it doesn't build onto the previously established cannon, I can't really argue. But what it does is give the franchise a kickstart of interest and optimism and a new baseline from which to build hopefully interesting and compelling stories. Since the prequels pretty much deflated all hope of Star Wars ever being great again, that's a huge plus.

So if Lucas wanted to jump in and use some of the creative genius that he showed in the first two films and in his other film THX 1138, I'd be all for it. But since he torpedoed his opportunity to do so, I'm glad to see new talent being brought in. I view JJ Abrams' role here as something of a showrunner position: he's established the feel of the films to come and will now step back and let other talent branch out. In that way, he did his job perfectly and set the stage for what could be some great movies.

Rian Johnson is working on the next movie and anyone who saw Looper should be glad. Gareth Edwards is doing Rogue One, the movie set between episodes three and four. These have much more promise now that we've seen that the decision makers actually have a grasp on how to make a great Star Wars movie. I suspect that - Disney being Disney - we'll all be thoroughly sick of Star Wars in the next six to ten years, but at least in the meantime we'll have some fun stuff to watch.

Speaking for myself, I put a significant amount of stock in first-watch enjoyability and this movie had it in spades. Just an absolute blast, particularly to see it on opening night with a bunch of Star Wars nerds in the audience. It's sort of like seeing a horror movie in a packed theater. It makes it all the more enjoyable. I guess some could say it gives the movie an unfair boost, but I disagree.

I've also seen it three times in the theater, which is absolutely a first for me. I can't think of a movie that I went to more than once in my life other than this one. The first viewing was amazing for the same reason. Being in a theater and hearing more than a dozen people shout out "YEAH!" when the lightsaber goes to Rey literally made the hair on my arms raise. I agree with your assessment above, Jack, and can't wait for the next installment.

I enjoyed Looper so that gives me some hope for the next episode. And I did enjoy this movie more than the prequels that Lucas put out. With the musical score I felt that in the originals there are songs that really stand out, that when you hear them immediately bring visions and scenes and characters to your mind. And I just didn't get that from The Force Awakens, there was nothing iconic that stood out for me with the music, that will bring up scenes from this flick.

Being in a theater and hearing more than a dozen people shout out "YEAH!" when the lightsaber goes to Rey literally made the hair on my arms raise.

I loved that and I had the hair raising experience several times, including, off the top of my head:

- Lucasfilm logo
- Burst of score and Star Wars logo
- Millennium Falcon's first appearance
- Han and Chewie's first appearance
- Leia's first appearance
- Rey uses the force to grab the lightsaber and lights it up
- Rey sits in pilot's chair in Millennium Falcon with Chewie at the end

All of the above, save the last, were accompanied by full-on applause on opening night (Another observation: it was astonishing how quickly after opening night the electric vibe in the theater was gone. I think I went just two days later to see it again and there was literally no applause at any point). Thinking about those moments make me want to see the movie again. I will say, though, that running through the movie in my mind thinking about the moments that stood out, the third act does drag a bit and drags only more obviously as a result of the plot being lifted so completely from A New Hope.

Oh and another interesting topic of conversation recently concerned the casting. There were a number of actors cast who have a certain nerd cachet or who would otherwise be notable for their current fame, but who were utterly unrecognizable in the film: Simon Pegg, Lupita Nyong'o, Gwendoline Christie, Bill Hader, Warwick Davis, Daniel Craig, Judah Friedlander, Kevin Smith. A friend called it "glamour casting". The Film Junk podcast referred to it as something similar, the idea being that these people were cast simply so they could be name-dropped as associated with the film.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily follow that it would have a detrimental impact on the quality of the movie, but I can see why it is annoying. In the case of Lupita Nyong'o, I would also say that I'd have preferred that her character, Maz Kanata, been a human actor (with practical effects if necessary or desired) rather than a wholly CG character. The less CG characters the better in my view, but particularly if you're casting Lupita Nyong'o, why not put her physically in the movie? In the case of Gwendoline Christie, why cast her, but then cover her entirely in a storm trooper outfit, alter her voice, and give her basically nothing interesting of substance to do in the film?

In the case of Christie, the answer might be that she will play a more substantial role in later films and so they wanted to make sure they had someone they could rely upon to turn in good performances if that was the case and if they decided to take the suit or at least the helmet off later on. Very little excuse for the rest, though. Kind of nit-picky maybe, but it's an interesting nit to pick imo.

Oh and another interesting topic of conversation recently concerned the casting. There were a number of actors cast who have a certain nerd cachet or who would otherwise be notable for their current fame, but who were utterly unrecognizable in the film: Simon Pegg, Lupita Nyong'o, Gwendoline Christie, Bill Hader, Warwick Davis, Daniel Craig, Judah Friedlander, Kevin Smith. A friend called it "glamour casting". The Film Junk podcast referred to it as something similar, the idea being that these people were cast simply so they could be name-dropped as associated with the film.

Obviously it doesn't necessarily follow that it would have a detrimental impact on the quality of the movie, but I can see why it is annoying. In the case of Lupita Nyong'o, I would also say that I'd have preferred that her character, Maz Kanata, been a human actor (with practical effects if necessary or desired) rather than a wholly CG character. The less CG characters the better in my view, but particularly if you're casting Lupita Nyong'o, why not put her physically in the movie? In the case of Gwendoline Christie, why cast her, but then cover her entirely in a storm trooper outfit, alter her voice, and give her basically nothing interesting of substance to do in the film?

In the case of Christie, the answer might be that she will play a more substantial role in later films and so they wanted to make sure they had someone they could rely upon to turn in good performances if that was the case and if they decided to take the suit or at least the helmet off later on. Very little excuse for the rest, though. Kind of nit-picky maybe, but it's an interesting nit to pick imo.
I have some of the answer on Gwendoline Christie. Originally the Captain Phasma design was intended as a potential look for Kylo Ren. When they finalized Kylo Ren they decided the look was too cool not to use but basically had to shoehorn a new character in to use it. Hopefully her role gets expanded in episode 8.

Last edited:
I have some of he answer on Gwendoline Christie. Originally the Captain Phasma design was intended as a potential look for Kylo Ren. When they finalized Kylo Ren they decided the look was too cool not to use but basically had to shoehorn a new character in to use it. Hopefully her role gets expanded in episode 8.

I think I read something similar. Makes sense as to why the character is included - and I'm glad it was - but not really why Gwendoline Christie was cast. I do hope she gets more action in later movies, though.

Incidentally Captain Phasma, even when inserted simply to use the design, was originally intended to be a male and was changed after the kerfuffle of complaints that there weren't enough women in TFA (link) to which I can only say, "Whatever."

Also heard a couple complaints that "Captain Phasma" is a shitty name for a character, but I love it.

I think I read something similar. Makes sense as to why the character is included - and I'm glad it was - but not really why Gwendoline Christie was cast. I do hope she gets more action in later movies, though.

Incidentally Captain Phasma, even when inserted simply to use the design, was originally intended to be a male and was changed after the kerfuffle of complaints that there weren't enough women in TFA (link) to which I can only say, "Whatever."

Also heard a couple complaints that "Captain Phasma" is a shitty name for a character, but I love it.
Lol Captain Phasma is a VERY Star Wars name.

I mean come on
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

Star Wars has had corny names forever.

Lol Captain Phasma is a VERY Star Wars name.

I mean come on
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker

Star Wars has had corny names forever.

The worst is Luke's original name from the first draft, though: Luke Starkiller.

The worst is Luke's original name from the first draft, though: Luke Starkiller.

STARLORD-2-COVER-final.jpg

Two things that really bothered me about the movie... first was Leia's voice. Good God, I was cringing every time she opened her mouth.

Second was... well, let's just say Ren should have never taken his helmet off. I found him exactly zero percent menacing for the rest of the film once he took it off for the first time. For the rest of the movie whenever he appeared, with or without his mask, I could only see this guy:

(warning, this may ruin any future viewings of the movie for you if you open it...)
With respect to the whole helmetlessness....i think the reaction you shared was shared by the large majority of th viewers and I'm sure it was wholly intended. If you figure the intended audience grew up watching these movies it more or less guarentees they are parents. I truly believe that kylo was intended to be viewed as a weak, immature, Justin Beiber-like Emo wreck. That we shouldn't fear children and teens like this but at the same time strive to understand what the fuck is wrong with them.
Starwars has had a history of echoing current events. I can't help but feel that Kylo is a direct adaptation of the masses of "lost kids" that are committing suicide, violent acts or those disillusioned enough to join gangs or radical factions like isis.
I'll guarantee though that his mother will turn him back.

With respect to the whole helmetlessness....i think the reaction you shared was shared by the large majority of th viewers and I'm sure it was wholly intended. If you figure the intended audience grew up watching these movies it more or less guarentees they are parents. I truly believe that kylo was intended to be viewed as a weak, immature, Justin Beiber-like Emo wreck. That we shouldn't fear children and teens like this but at the same time strive to understand what the fuck is wrong with them.
Starwars has had a history of echoing current events. I can't help but feel that Kylo is a direct adaptation of the masses of "lost kids" that are committing suicide, violent acts or those disillusioned enough to join gangs or radical factions like isis.
I'll guarantee though that his mother will turn him back.

This is a good point and I think you're on the right track. I honestly hadn't thought much about it until I read your post, but now that i do, I think they might be intending to take it to another level where you are forced to realize that this kid who has no control over his emotions also can do an enormous amount of pain and suffering.

It's sort of like looking at some school shooter. He looks weak and harmless and yet he has done tremendous damage. One would be tempted to call such people evil. And that's where we are with Kylo Ren. He's this completely unintimidating little shit and yet he sends one of the most beloved characters to his death and will no doubt live to see many others to theirs.

There's something profoundly disturbing about children doing horrendous violence and they might have been going for that here.

So I went and saw the movie for a second time last night and tried to look at it from a different perspective. I wish I was better at remember lines, because I think there are some key scenes that are worthy of discussion. I think Butler asked the question in one of his earlier post, of who is Snoke? I am making the assumption that he is Darth Plegius sp? or whoever was the Emperor's master.

Kylo Ren's internal conflict of light vs.dark is brought up several times throughout the film, and I wanted explore the possibility that maybe he is truly a Light side character trying to pose as a Sith in order to gain Snokes confidence and ultimately defeat him.

The first scene I will mention is when we see Kylo Ren talking to Vaders helmet - he refers to him as grandfather, and mentions that he is trying to be Dark but keeps being drawn to the Light. He also vows to finish what he started. If his mission is to kill Snoke, then maybe he is talking to his grandfather about how to hide his light side tendencies in order to gain Snokes trust. Since Vader killed the Emperor, finishing what he started could mean killing Snoke

This theory is then reinforced when Kylo is talking to Rey. She is able to read his mind, and says 'You're afraid that you will never be as strong as Darth Vader" We are meant to assume its a reference to the dark side, but it could also be doubt upon whether he can defeat Snoke, as Vader was able to defeat the Emperor.

Adding further speculation - We have all the scenes where Kylo whips himself into a frenzied state. Destroying things with his lightsaber, punching his wounds etc. Perhaps this is a trigger for him to enable the Dark side to take over his body. Same way the pain/anger took over Luke in his battle with Vader.

Lastly in Kylo's confrontation with Han Solo, its interesting the way it is shown. In a previous scene with Snoke, they discuss Han Solo, and Kylo needs to convince him that he means nothing to him now (killing Han would obviously prove this) When the two meet on the bridge Han tells him to take the helmet off, and tells him he does not have to do this (almost like Han might know the task at hand). Kylo again says something to the effect that he can't bear being pulled in every direction. He Asks if Han will help him and Han responds "anything". He then appears to start to hand his lightsaber to Han, where you see Han grab the handle presumedly where the on/off switch would be. We then see the light saber killing Han from a rear POV, but we don't actually see how it happened. Kylo looks genuinely upset, and says "thank you" and Han then softly touches his sons face before falling. Is it possible that Han knew Kylo had to kill him to gain Snokes trust, but knew that Kylo would not be able to do it,so he took matters into his own hands? Maybe explains how Kylo allows himself to get shot by a blaster at that point, when clearly he was able to stop Po's blaster shot earlier in the film.

Thought I would throw it out there to the group and see your thoughts. Im just not convinced that after 3 years of formulating a story arc for the trilogy, its going to be as straight forward as they want us to believe.

So I went and saw the movie for a second time last night and tried to look at it from a different perspective. I wish I was better at remember lines, because I think there are some key scenes that are worthy of discussion. I think Butler asked the question in one of his earlier post, of who is Snoke? I am making the assumption that he is Darth Plegius sp? or whoever was the Emperor's master.

Kylo Ren's internal conflict of light vs.dark is brought up several times throughout the film, and I wanted explore the possibility that maybe he is truly a Light side character trying to pose as a Sith in order to gain Snokes confidence and ultimately defeat him.

The first scene I will mention is when we see Kylo Ren talking to Vaders helmet - he refers to him as grandfather, and mentions that he is trying to be Dark but keeps being drawn to the Light. He also vows to finish what he started. If his mission is to kill Snoke, then maybe he is talking to his grandfather about how to hide his light side tendencies in order to gain Snokes trust. Since Vader killed the Emperor, finishing what he started could mean killing Snoke

This theory is then reinforced when Kylo is talking to Rey. She is able to read his mind, and says 'You're afraid that you will never be as strong as Darth Vader" We are meant to assume its a reference to the dark side, but it could also be doubt upon whether he can defeat Snoke, as Vader was able to defeat the Emperor.

Adding further speculation - We have all the scenes where Kylo whips himself into a frenzied state. Destroying things with his lightsaber, punching his wounds etc. Perhaps this is a trigger for him to enable the Dark side to take over his body. Same way the pain/anger took over Luke in his battle with Vader.

Lastly in Kylo's confrontation with Han Solo, its interesting the way it is shown. In a previous scene with Snoke, they discuss Han Solo, and Kylo needs to convince him that he means nothing to him now (killing Han would obviously prove this) When the two meet on the bridge Han tells him to take the helmet off, and tells him he does not have to do this (almost like Han might know the task at hand). Kylo again says something to the effect that he can't bear being pulled in every direction. He Asks if Han will help him and Han responds "anything". He then appears to start to hand his lightsaber to Han, where you see Han grab the handle presumedly where the on/off switch would be. We then see the light saber killing Han from a rear POV, but we don't actually see how it happened. Kylo looks genuinely upset, and says "thank you" and Han then softly touches his sons face before falling. Is it possible that Han knew Kylo had to kill him to gain Snokes trust, but knew that Kylo would not be able to do it,so he took matters into his own hands? Maybe explains how Kylo allows himself to get shot by a blaster at that point, when clearly he was able to stop Po's blaster shot earlier in the film.

Thought I would throw it out there to the group and see your thoughts. Im just not convinced that after 3 years of formulating a story arc for the trilogy, its going to be as straight forward as they want us to believe.

Great analysis all around imo. I hadn't read/considered the different interpretation of his words to Vader re: plan to kill Snoke. Love that thought.

I've read the stuff pointing toward Plagueis elsewhere, but other nerds of a higher caliber seemed to dismiss those for complicated reasons I couldn't get my head around because I don't know the expanded universe. When in doubt, defer to the nerd with the most powerful neckbeard imo.

The final stuff re: Han willingly going to his death or even causing it himself seem a bit far-fetched to me, but I suppose it's possible.

Maybe at the bottom of the fall was an ocean of Carbonite ;)

Further thought made me think....finn's father may well turn out to be Mace Windoo, the only other colored dude in the Starwars saga to my knowledge. It would also tie into the story better if Rey turns out to be a Kenobi. It's weird she gets to keep her british accent but the guy who plays Finn didnt- and his accent is way thicker! I just hope to see Sam L. Jackson again. Undoubtedly the coolest Jedi to date!
Mace_c4bacf_1680502.jpg

Last edited:

Wow. Looking at it that way puts a whole lot more emotion into the character of Kylo Ren, in all of his scenes. If his mission IS to kill Snoke and it plays out like you suggest, he's made a huge sacrifice by losing is father in this way. I guess I'm headed back to the theater again this weekend to watch it with new eyes.

Further thought made me think....finn's father may well turn out to be Mace Windoo, the only other colored dude in the Starwars saga to my knowledge. It would also tie into the story better if Rey turns out to be a Kenobi. It's weird she gets to keep her british accent but the guy who plays Finn didnt- and his accent is way thicker! I just hope to see Sam L. Jackson again. Undoubtedly the coolest Jedi to date!

You're forgetting Lando Calrissian, but Mace Windu is probably more likely.

Also, is it common/accepted to say colored in Canada? Never know what things are/aren't acceptable in some other regions.

Lando Calrissian

You're forgetting Lando Calrissian, but Mace Windu is probably more likely.

Also, is it common/accepted to say colored in Canada? Never know what things are/aren't acceptable in some other regions.

They may not have had the Billie Dee Williams Colt 45 ads in Canada either

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom