***SPOILERS*** Star Wars the Force Awakens Open Discusion Thread ***SPOILERS*** (2 Viewers)

the problem with all these lineage theories is that I thought Jedi's weren't supposed to marry? Are they all out there having illegitimate children? Could be lots of Neices and nephews i guess

the problem with all these lineage theories is that I thought Jedi's weren't supposed to marry? Are they all out there having illegitimate children? Could be lots of Neices and nephews i guess

There is literally no chance in hell any Jedi has been able to resist using the force to get chicks to do the wildest shit ever.

Colored just sounds better. And it's far more accurate than "black". But as for Lando....i think we can all agree if it was about his offspring we'd be talking more than one. He was far to smooth to just have one. Hell, he's Lando!

You're forgetting Lando Calrissian, but Mace Windu is probably more likely.

Also, is it common/accepted to say colored in Canada? Never know what things are/aren't acceptable in some other regions.
My son who is 12 prefers to use colored, but he's from a small town in MN. I told him that I use the term black these days, even though they aren't black, I'm not actually white either, we all have a color. Talking about it seemed to make all of my kids uncomfortable, unfortunately. Anyway, a topic for a different board.

There is literally no chance in hell any Jedi has been able to resist using the force to get chicks to do the wildest shit ever.

Watching Jessica Jones, Ive been thinking the same thing about Killgrave.... or more appropriately what I would be doing with his powers.

I was really astounded that blowing up another Deathstar with an X-wing fighter was a major plot point.

And I agree that Rey appears to be Luke's daughter.

Yeah that's what I thought - film starts with someone entrusting a hologram-thing of great importance to a droid whilst under attack. Film ends with an attack on a big planet sized spaceship that can destroy planets, and they only get one shot before it's too late...

Couple of niggles - if the empire is routed after film 3, where does the Order come from? Where does it get the resources to build the Big Eeevil Planet Killer? Why doesn't the Resistance or whatever they're called know about it? Thermal oscillator? WTF?

Still enjoyed it though.

Jedi's aren't supposed to marry? Says who? Maybe when there was an established Jedi council, and a long standing academy... However, Luke received minimal training from Yoda. Then he's been off on his own, essentially the last remaining Jedi (the previous jedi establishment has long since deceased).

So, what rules does Luke have to follow regarding having children? He's making up his own damn rules.

Jedi's aren't supposed to marry? Says who? Maybe when there was an established Jedi council, and a long standing academy... However, Luke received minimal training from Yoda. Then he's been off on his own, essentially the last remaining Jedi (the previous jedi establishment has long since deceased).

So, what rules does Luke have to follow regarding having children? He's making up his own damn rules.

Luke completed his training with Yoda between Empire and Jedi. I think the the Jedi vows were discussed in Clones maybe...which is why Anakin and Padme married in secret. Don't forget he can still communicate with Obi Wan after his death, and the jedi apparitions all appear at the end of ROJ...so we don't know how much he has been on his own, while re-establishing a Jedi academy and hiding out at the Jedi Temple.

Luke completed his training with Yoda between Empire and Jedi. I think the the Jedi vows were discussed in Clones maybe...which is why Anakin and Padme married in secret. Don't forget he can still communicate with Obi Wan after his death, and the jedi apparitions all appear at the end of ROJ...so we don't know how much he has been on his own, while re-establishing a Jedi academy and hiding out at the Jedi Temple.

Luke: I've got some ghost telling me I can't dip the wick? Nah, I'm in charge now bitches!

Yeah that's what I thought - film starts with someone entrusting a hologram-thing of great importance to a droid whilst under attack. Film ends with an attack on a big planet sized spaceship that can destroy planets, and they only get one shot before it's too late...

Couple of niggles - if the empire is routed after film 3, where does the Order come from? Where does it get the resources to build the Big Eeevil Planet Killer? Why doesn't the Resistance or whatever they're called know about it? Thermal oscillator? WTF?

Still enjoyed it though.
They get their monies from other evil entities like the Bush family, Microsoft, Mobile Oil to name a few...

So I totally forgot my closing argument....

If Kylo Ren was in fact been selected to kill Snoke, then we can go back to the Jedi prophecy of the chosen one who will bring balance to the universe. It could be argued that neither Anakin or Luke were ever chosen to do anything, and obviously balance has not yet been restored to the universe.

Has anyone watched this with D-box seating? Wondering if it is worth it when I take the kids for the second viewing... by "worth it" I mean bumping the drive time from 40 minutes (our regular theater) to 80 minutes (theater that offers D-box).

@ssanel54

GdcRG99.gif

That's pretty brilliant. Ran it by my wife and she likes what you said too, mentioned it kinda reminds her of how Snape killed Dumbeldore to remain in the confidences of Voldemort in the Harry Potter series.

Your analysis makes me more interested in seeing the next film in the series to see where they take it.

As far as Finn's lineage goes, Mace Windu was killed off in the prequels, which go further back than the originals in the timeline, so I think it'd be tough for Finn to be his son (doesn't mean he couldn't be of that lineage I suppose, but lessens the possibility). Him being related to Lando is a possibility, although does Finn HAVE to be related to someone we know that was part of the Rebel Alliance? Just seems a bit hokey to have that be the case AND he meets up with Rey as well (the Force works in mysterious ways?)

Also, what's the deal with the stun baton Storm Trooper's weapon not getting sliced into nothing when Finn is hitting it with the lightsaber? Seems kind of a cheap way to try and include a semi-cool fight scene by ignoring the history we've seen with lightsabers.

No doubt in my mind the whole thing about Kilo Ren being a good guy, assassin for the Republic or whatever was complete horseshit.

I found myself talking to a buddy this morning who hadn't heard those theories and in explaining them to him I think I may have inadvertantly convinced myself that it is so, at least about the bridge scene and Han being the one who activated the light saber.

No doubt I will be watching KRs scenes a bit closer on my 2nd viewing.

@ssanel54

GdcRG99.gif

That's pretty brilliant. Ran it by my wife and she likes what you said too, mentioned it kinda reminds her of how Snape killed Dumbeldore to remain in the confidences of Voldemort in the Harry Potter series.

Your analysis makes me more interested in seeing the next film in the series to see where they take it.

As far as Finn's lineage goes, Mace Windu was killed off in the prequels, which go further back than the originals in the timeline, so I think it'd be tough for Finn to be his son (doesn't mean he couldn't be of that lineage I suppose, but lessens the possibility). Him being related to Lando is a possibility, although does Finn HAVE to be related to someone we know that was part of the Rebel Alliance? Just seems a bit hokey to have that be the case AND he meets up with Rey as well (the Force works in mysterious ways?)

Also, what's the deal with the stun baton Storm Trooper's weapon not getting sliced into nothing when Finn is hitting it with the lightsaber? Seems kind of a cheap way to try and include a semi-cool fight scene by ignoring the history we've seen with lightsabers.

Hey, this said Star Wars spoilers, not Harry Potter spoilers. (only through the first three books, didn't read them until my kids became interested.)

Hey, this said Star Wars spoilers, not Harry Potter spoilers. (only through the first three books, didn't read them until my kids became interested.)

The last movie was about 4-5 years ago and the books are even older than that, I take no responsibility for your failure to keep up with pop culture!

The last movie was about 4-5 years ago and the books are even older than that, I take no responsibility for your failure to keep up with pop culture!

I wasn't really being serious ... I'm aware of many of the major plot points though I'm a bit unclear on the details. Still fun to discover through my kids' eyes, and if I hear about things by mistake at this point, so be it. There are plenty of small things that are making the series fun even if it's not a total discovery process.

Finally saw it this weekend and skim read the posts. I liked the movie, but I can wait to see it again on HBO. Of course, I had thoughts too, and some have been answered. I recalled Rey saying something about living on an island when she was a kid, and when they go to Luke's place, they are islands and she acts like it is familiar. I don't know why "garbage" would be ready to fly, fueled, and armed. One would assume it would be scrap or need something done to it before take off and blasting. Also, think that ONCE in 30+ years, Han would have shot Chewie's gun. Drunk on a planet shooting cans at a minimum.

I wanted the Admiral Ackbar - like guy to say anything with the word "trap" in it!

When Han was talking about "there is always a shield", I was sure fish head would say "it could be a trap"

Second was... well, let's just say Ren should have never taken his helmet off. I found him exactly zero percent menacing for the rest of the film once he took it off for the first time. For the rest of the movie whenever he appeared, with or without his mask, I could only see this guy:

I kept seeing Dark Helmet for the rest of the movie.

upload_2016-1-12_15-16-5.png

They may not have had the Billie Dee Williams Colt 45 ads in Canada either
upload_2016-1-12_15-17-29.png

I cannot quite reconcile the empire/republic/rebel first order/republic/resistance thing, I would assume the republic would resume running the whole thing and they would reclaim storm troopers and such, not the first order. I assume that will be hashed out in upcoming film, maybe explain how a planet having a giant trench excavated escaped everyone's spy probes and such, or why the resistance had no clue that yet another giant planet killing weapon was being built.

Anyway, enjoyed it and hope the plots build as some here have discussed.

BiGGyT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom