The Bucknuts - cash set (1 Viewer)

ill ask the same quesiton i ask to all solid set CPC prospects, are you choosing solids because you love them or solids due to budgetary concerns?

Thoughts on this? The 20 would likely end up green though...

thumbnail_mocks7.jpg

yes. if it's going to be green, make it $25.

I agree with @QuiQuog on this one. It's a home set. I don't see any need to have a "standard" green 25 as opposed to a 20. There would be zero confusion for the players in the game and I think the utility of having 20s would trump that concern anyway.

Thoughts on this? The 20 would likely end up green though...

View attachment 36726
I'm not a sports fan, let alone college sports, and forget about knowing anything about Ohio State, but what's the significance of the green leafy things? I think they look too much like pot leaves, but maybe that's because I don't know their significance. If you're only adding it to justify the green chip, I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe this is a case of "less is more." And for a little bit of nitpicking, have you tried making the curve of the Buckeyes text match the curve of the Ohio State text? I like the denomination font. Have you considered a double sided chip? You could add elements that didn't fit on the front. Or maybe the flipside could simply match the logo on the table.

I'm not a sports fan, let alone college sports, and forget about knowing anything about Ohio State, but what's the significance of the green leafy things? I think they look too much like pot leaves, but maybe that's because I don't know their significance. If you're only adding it to justify the green chip, I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe this is a case of "less is more." And for a little bit of nitpicking, have you tried making the curve of the Buckeyes text match the curve of the Ohio State text? I like the denomination font. Have you considered a double sided chip? You could add elements that didn't fit on the front. Or maybe the flipside could simply match the logo on the table.

The Buckeye Leafs are given to players that make an outstanding play. They are stickers that are worn on the helmets throughout the year. It wasn't added for the green chip. Moresoe to fill some white space.

I like the Buckeye curve suggestion a lot.

Haven't given much thought on a double sided inlay. Not sure how I feel on that one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with @QuiQuog on this one. It's a home set. I don't see any need to have a "standard" green 25 as opposed to a 20. There would be zero confusion for the players in the game and I think the utility of having 20s would trump that concern anyway.

I can only speak from my own experiences and would say that it being a home set is irrelevant to the general problem that people will associate the traditional chip colors - white/blue, red, green, black - with the typical denominations. I play with several different groups and I would bet my life that there are several within each that would be irritated and confused by a green $20 chip. If you know all your players well enough to know that it won't be a problem and know that no players you might pick up would be confused, then I defer to your judgment.

I find $20 chips to be of slightly more utility than $25s and only in games where people are typically buying chips in amounts less than $50, so for my purposes there would be no benefit to using $20s over $25s. But again, your game may well be different from mine.

I can only speak from my own experiences and would say that it being a home set is irrelevant to the general problem that people will associate the traditional chip colors - white/blue, red, green, black - with the typical denominations. I play with several different groups and I would bet my life that there are several within each that would be irritated and confused by a green $20 chip. If you know all your players well enough to know that it won't be a problem and know that no players you might pick up would be confused, then I defer to your judgment.

I find $20 chips to be of slightly more utility than $25s and only in games where people are typically buying chips in amounts less than $50, so for my purposes there would be no benefit to using $20s over $25s. But again, your game may well be different from mine.

Definitely specific to my game and the typical players in it.

I can certainly see how a green $20 would tilt someone though.

I sent the latest mockup to a former coworker, the world's biggest OSU fan, and casual poker player, with no leading comments, just asking for feedback. He replied colors were wrong, should be scarlet, gray, and white. No Spartan green.

I sent the latest mockup to a former coworker, the world's biggest OSU fan, and casual poker player, with no leading comments, just asking for feedback. He replied colors were wrong, should be scarlet, gray, and white. No Spartan green.

He's a smart man.

That makes it so easy. White $1, Red $5, Charcoal $20.

Ship it.

Agree looks like pot leaves. Kind of kills the theme imo.

Still think I want to keep the $1 charcoal and the $5 red. I'm open to the $20 being white though.

Going with the two sided inlay idea maybe have one chip with a large Buckeye leaf, one with a block O and one with Brutus?

got it. when you ask for thoughts/comments you mean only those that you agree with. i'll keep that in mind going forward.

why do i keep coming back to this thread....

got it. when you ask for thoughts/comments you mean only those that you agree with. i'll keep that in mind going forward.

why do i keep coming back to this thread....

Have you seen the current mock up compared to the original one posted?

Again, I appreciate all the input. It's been great. Not sure why you would take it personal.

I'm gonna shut this thread down. I had no intention of hurting anyone's feelings. I was enjoying the dialogue.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me advice on these.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom