The Official Formula 1 ( F1 ) discussion thread (18 Viewers)

IMG_4475.gif

Old timer here... Been watching since I was a wee boy as my dad was huge fan. Became a fanatic early on when Nelson Piquet won his first championship. He is still my favorite driver by a good margin.

I didn't miss a race in like 30 years but when Hamilton started his reign I kinda lost interest a bit.

Those who watched F1 back in the day know how much more passing there was and how close each race was. After a while, it became a bit more about technical atributes, manufactures, sponsors, gas companies (refueling) and tire companies (pit stops). Nowadays its hard to see overtaking on a race...

Other than Piquet, and before him, I was a fan of Gilles Villeneuve, and Fittipaldi, obviously. After him, Alonzo, Raikkonen and Hakkinen. Really liked Alesi as well but he never fulfilled his potential.

Being Brazilian, I saw the fans there divided between Pique and Senna. Most of the casuals were Senna fans. I debated my whole life with my Brazilian friends that Piquet was better than Senna. Deep down, I knew it was just for show. Driver for driver, he's the GOAT and it kills me to admit that. Never liked him as a person, just like @pltrgyst . Maybe we are the only two on planet earth, Larry.

As much as I don't like Senna, I absolutely hate Hamilton. And just like Senna, I hate to admit he is among the best ever. The only one who gets close is Shummy.

Became a big fan of Max when he started racing and he was clearly on the way to be a champ because of his talent. Never knew how much he would dominate. Weirdly enough, he is part of the Piquet family so that plays a part in it as well, LOL!!

Old timer here... Been watching since I was a wee boy as my dad was huge fan. Became a fanatic early on when Nelson Piquet won his first championship. He is still my favorite driver by a good margin.

I didn't miss a race in like 30 years but when Hamilton started his reign I kinda lost interest a bit.

Those who watched F1 back in the day know how much more passing there was and how close each race was. After a while, it became a bit more about technical atributes, manufactures, sponsors, gas companies (refueling) and tire companies (pit stops). Nowadays its hard to see overtaking on a race...

Other than Piquet, and before him, I was a fan of Gilles Villeneuve, and Fittipaldi, obviously. After him, Alonzo, Raikkonen and Hakkinen. Really liked Alesi as well but he never fulfilled his potential.

Being Brazilian, I saw the fans there divided between Pique and Senna. Most of the casuals were Senna fans. I debated my whole life with my Brazilian friends that Piquet was better than Senna. Deep down, I knew it was just for show. Driver for driver, he's the GOAT and it kills me to admit that. Never liked him as a person, just like @pltrgyst . Maybe we are the only two on planet earth, Larry.

As much as I don't like Senna, I absolutely hate Hamilton. And just like Senna, I hate to admit he is among the best ever. The only one who gets close is Shummy.

Became a big fan of Max when he started racing and he was clearly on the way to be a champ because of his talent. Never knew how much he would dominate. Weirdly enough, he is part of the Piquet family so that plays a part in it as well, LOL!!
Love the history lesson.

My dad mostly agrees with this but he was a Senna fan…

He said you didn’t say anything about Prost, how they crashed into each other in back to back years to win their drivers championships (and they were on the same team ).

Love the history lesson.

My dad mostly agrees with this but he was a Senna fan…

He said you didn’t say anything about Prost, how they crashed into each other in back to back years to win their drivers championships (and they were on the same team ).

Don’t blame him for being a Senna fan, lol!!

Yes! Two years in a row, in Suzuka if I remember it right… I was obviously a Prost fan because I hated Senna and they were bitter rivals. Prost, however, was never an exiting driver, although a great one. His nickname was The Professor because he would drive in the back and would finish methodically in the front, lol!!!

Don’t blame him for being a Senna fan, lol!!
Hahaha they’re selling Senna merch again so he must’ve been special
Yes! Two years in a row, in Suzuka if I remember it right… I was obviously a Prost fan because I hated Senna and they were bitter rivals. Prost, however, was never an exiting driver, although a great one. His nickname was The Professor because he would drive in the back and would finish methodically in the front, lol!!!
Yeah, I don’t blame you for being a Prost fan lol

My favorite F1 drivers as a youngster were Donahue, Gurney, Andretti, Revson, Clark, Stewart, McLaren, Hulme, and Giles Villeneuve (unfortunately, many deceased via racing accidents). Later driver favs were Piquet and Prost. Racing battles in that era were epic, as was the diversity of equipment.

Schmucher, Senna, Hamilton, and Verstappen were/are all impressive and have my respect, but have never really held my personal interest as a fan. It's a totally different game now.

I always find it funny (odd not funny) when people "hate" Hamilton. It's one thing if you're a homophonic racist like Nelson Piquet but who doesn't like the underdog coming from a working class family?

In my book, it's Silver Spoons entitled Max Verstappen who I don't like & will never root for. Do I hate him? Nah. It's always good to have a villian.

(I do hate Jos though)

I agree with you 100%. It has become so much about almost everything except the actual racing. I still watch it but find it hard to truly get excited for it. I prefer MotoGP night and day over F1 lately just due to it having a lot of passing, no pit stop strategies and just balls to the wall until they cross the finish line.

My favorite F1 drivers as a youngster were Donahue, Gurney, Andretti, Revson, Clark, Stewart, McLaren, Hulme, and Giles Villeneuve (unfortunately, many deceased via racing accidents). Later driver favs were Piquet and Prost. Racing battles in that era were epic, as was the diversity of equipment.

Schmucher, Senna, Hamilton, and Verstappen were/are all impressive and have my respect, but have never really held my personal interest as a fan. It's a totally different game now.
My Dad says you remind him of his previous season ticket holder, my Uncle, except he is a fan of Hamilton lol

As a new fan, I kind of have an old mentality because I don’t really have a favorite driver, just respect the good ones.

I always find it funny (odd not funny) when people "hate" Hamilton. It's one thing if you're a homophonic racist like Nelson Piquet but who doesn't like the underdog coming from a working class family?

In my book, it's Silver Spoons entitled Max Verstappen who I don't like & will never root for. Do I hate him? Nah. It's always good to have a villian.

(I do hate Jos though)
There should be a daaaaaamn, shots fired emoji
friday ice GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom