Tourney To use or not to use, a dealer button (2 Viewers)

Is the dealer button necessary in self dealt games?

• Total voters

Salbino

High Hand
Reaction score
An interesting argument, no fight, happened at my last tournament.

One player suggested that we ditch the dealer button because we were self dealing so the dealer was obvious. Another player didn’t like that suggesting and got a little heated ‍

Thing is though, I kinda low key agree with that. Usually we’re half way through the hole cards on the next hand before someone notices that the button didn’t get moved.

What? Use the button. I've never seen a poker game without a dealer button. It takes 2 seconds to move and not having it is asking for more out of turn actions.
Yeah good point. I could go either way but I guess all it takes is one person to not know what’s going on to screw up everyone else.

What? Use the button. I've never seen a poker game without a dealer button.
That’s a little extreme.
I never used to use a dealer button in my games, because we self deal, so who needs one? Truth is I really don’t care, but some of my players do, so I usually have one on the table. But it gets moved less than half the time. People forget to move the button, probably because it’s totally unnecessary for a self-dealt game.

That’s a little extreme.
I never used to use a dealer button in my games, because we self deal, so who needs one? Truth is I really don’t care, but some of my players do, so I usually have one on the table. But it gets moved less than half the time. People forget to move the button, probably because it’s totally unnecessary for a self-dealt game.
Nah, is necessary. Post flop the button clearly denotes where the action starts, prevents errors which leads to slowdowns to resolve. After the hand button avoids confusion who is on the blinds. If dealer is shuffling and self dealing, just make it normal for the dealer to ensure they have the button. Becomes habit quick. Avoids arguments. My experience, anyway.

Dealer button every time. Remind people position matters, and can easily see whos next to act because my apes always put the stub down between streets. And before any of you mooks tell me to teach them not to, dont worry about it, we just learned how to check instead of folding.

Nah, is necessary. Post flop the button clearly denotes where the action starts, prevents errors which leads to slowdowns to resolve. After the hand button avoids confusion who is on the blinds. If dealer is shuffling and self dealing, just make it normal for the dealer to ensure they have the button. Becomes habit quick. Avoids arguments. My experience, anyway.
I’ve been thinking about it. I have a smaller 8-person table that’s closer to a circle (as opposed to a long oval.) Prior to that I had an octagon. And we’re often playing 7 or 6 handed. And we’re usually good at working two decks, so one hand starts immediately after the previous hand ends. So everybody’s probably more engaged than they might normally be, at a 9-handed 9 foot oval. And when everybody’s engaged in the game, everybody knows their position.

I can appreciate what you’re saying. There have definitely been times where I’ve been really banged up and can’t remember what’s going on, and I look for a dealer button to save me. But I’m telling you, my game will typically go for half an orbit or more before somebody moves the button, and we’re no worse for it.

Dealer button every time. Remind people position matters, and can easily see whos next to act because my apes always put the stub down between streets. And before any of you mooks tell me to teach them not to, dont worry about it, we just learned how to check instead of folding.
In a self dealt game it would be irresponsible to ask a player to look at the backs of the cards in front of them, observe the color and then look around the table to see who has that particular colored deck in front of them. It would also be irresponsible to ask a player to observe who provided them with their cards.

In a self dealt game it would be irresponsible to ask a player to look at the backs of the cards in front of them, observe the color and then look around the table to see who has that particular colored deck in front of them. It would also be irresponsible to ask a player to observe who provided them with their cards.
Yeah, cause with 8 beginners on a Barrington, they're absolutely going to put the stub directly in front of them in orderly fashion instead of placing it next to the flop and getting into a conversation about dumb shit with the first to act player.

I serve you sarcasm right back! Look at the button, no inquiries needed.

Yeah, cause with 8 beginners on a Barrington, they're absolutely going to put the stub directly in front of them in orderly fashion instead of placing it next to the flop and getting into a conversation about dumb shit with the first to act player.

Yep, 8 beginners are also going to remember to move it each hand.

Well if you’re playing with 8 beginners, then by all means use a button. You could probably use those small blind and big blind buttons too.

Well if you’re playing with 8 beginners, then by all means use a button. You could probably use those small blind and big blind buttons too.
Never. I can move one button as a crutch because we always use one on my table but cant be bothered with those extras. Had an ape request them at one point, we subsequently called him little blind but then that got confusing cause he was actually the little blind at times and not others. Nickname was just not destined to work.

I’ve been thinking about it. I have a smaller 8-person table that’s closer to a circle (as opposed to a long oval.) Prior to that I had an octagon. And we’re often playing 7 or 6 handed. And we’re usually good at working two decks, so one hand starts immediately after the previous hand ends. So everybody’s probably more engaged than they might normally be, at a 9-handed 9 foot oval. And when everybody’s engaged in the game, everybody knows their position.

I can appreciate what you’re saying. There have definitely been times where I’ve been really banged up and can’t remember what’s going on, and I look for a dealer button to save me. But I’m telling you, my game will typically go for half an orbit or more before somebody moves the button, and we’re no worse for it.
May work fine for a very poker aware group, I guess. My lot... nope.

Must have. We use 2 decks. Plus, helps keep folks from acting out of turn. Once the hand ends, make it a habit to move the button.

I do admit we often forget to move the button for a few hands, but it is definitely useful (and often used) to help determine position and action when people start getting distracted at the table. I would not play without one.

You've imagined a player who is too stupid to keep the correct stub in front of him but is smart enough to keep the button in front of him.

You've imagined eight other players who are too stupid to know that the dealer is the one with the matching stub but are smart enough to know that the dealer is the one with the dealer button.

None of those players exist. People in this thread are basically telling OP that his experience is wrong here:

Usually we’re half way through the hole cards on the next hand before someone notices that the button didn’t get moved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom