Tournament Home Game Issue - Player continually going all in within the first hour (14 Viewers)

Just ask him wtf and explain how the group sees it.

Also, play limit until he is busted out and then switch to NL. Who cares what he thinks of that.

Honestly if you switch to limit he may get bored and quit coming if he can’t get that rush of “all-in”.

I had a similar instance years ago in which one player was just ultra aggressive (and sometimes a tad rude). I had several players essentially tell me that they don't enjoy playing with him. I agreed, and just stopped inviting that person, and everything was fine. Honestly, at the end of the day, I'd rather keep the core group happy than trying to make EVERYONE happy.

Also, when the core group isn't happy, they aren't going to bring new people, and the game dies. Getting rid of this person now shows that you are committed to your game and your core group, and hopefully, they can start bringing new players (if you have room) and grow your game.

Wow this thread went ape shit. Nice job and welcome.

I didn’t have time to read any of the replies but I’ll give you my two cents.

I don’t know if I’d even invest the energy into a sit down. I’d just release. They know what they’re doing is disruptive and also understand the level of play that others are trying to emulate.

When you have a sit down with a player regarding any issue you have to postulate how they’re going to respond, not in real time because that’s not a concern, but moving forward. My experience is they’ll find a different outlet for their disruptive behavior.

Our jobs as game owners is to manage the game and its players to the benefit of all. Our responsibility is to the game.

I’d just convey my concerns and very nebulously alert them to the fact that the game has moved on without them.

If you have an absolute inner circle of players you can confide in you could seek counsel (my son in law is my banker and I have three others that I might run my decisions past not for approval but so they are in the know) and that can be helpful.

Again, the life of a game, whether it be weekly or monthly, is a fragile one. Do what needs to be done.

Ken (merkong) 500+ Sessions Spread
Owner/Operator/Founder:
*The Godfather Club MN (The Venue)
*The Executive Game, (The Current Game)
*Frogtown Card Club, St. Paul (Retired Venue)
*The Poker Family (Our Philosophy)

I am so confused, there's this one guy who continually making -EV play and people complain about that rather than adjusting their play and taking advantages of it.

This will never end, what next?

They going to complain about people playing too tight, people tanking too much, people talking too much?
I won’t disagree that it’s a fine line. I’ve always and openly professed my belief in the Poker Constitution: Any two cards, for any amount, on any street.

I see this players play bleeding over into and affecting the flow of the game at large. If any of us encountered this as a participant and it didn’t sit well, we’d find a new game. That’s our responsibility as a player to ourselves. As the games owner we can’t have players feeling that way or we’ll be managing a game of solitaire.

The games manager is right to consider acting and in my experience there is typically only one response and that’s to address it. And also in my experience, since there’s enough headaches and very little love in the world of hosting, you clip the guy and be done with it or your just kicking this issue down the road for a host of others.

I had a similar instance years ago in which one player was just ultra aggressive (and sometimes a tad rude). I had several players essentially tell me that they don't enjoy playing with him. I agreed, and just stopped inviting that person, and everything was fine. Honestly, at the end of the day, I'd rather keep the core group happy than trying to make EVERYONE happy.

Also, when the core group isn't happy, they aren't going to bring new people, and the game dies. Getting rid of this person now shows that you are committed to your game and your core group, and hopefully, they can start bringing new players (if you have room) and grow your game.
This. This. This.

It seems as if this is somewhat of a close group that's played together for quite some time, and, if that's the case then you probably should try and find a way to mention it to him. Maybe ask if things are going OK, that you've noticed a difference in his play, as have others. That it is affecting the game, and is there anything that's going on that you can help with. Take a non-confrontational approach and present it in a way that's more "is there anything I can help with" as opposed to a combative "you're f-ing my game up" can ease the way to letting him know that everyone is concerned, and, maybe this isn't the game for him. If he still wants to come hang out that you'd love to have him...maybe deal instead of playing for a bit.

Offering options and showing concern can help in trying to figure out what's going on, and, if your game is still right for everyone involved.

The only problem with talking to Player X Is that what you’re really doing is considering asking them to explain their play.

I refer you to exhibit A The Poker Constitution: Any two cards, for any amount, on any street.

Player X knows what they’re doing and unless completely oblivious the effect of their actions.

Cut him.

The game is what you’ve chosen to protect and manage.

Here's the main issue. We have one player in our group who has started a somewhat new trend. They go all-in nearly every hand pre-flop, sometimes right from the very first hand of the tournament. There may be anywhere from 3 to 10 all-ins preflop from this player within the first hour of play, in certain cases back to back hands. As serious poker players, most of us simply fold to this play.
This is always a tough question here. Do you exclude the one player at the request of a group of players. It's a true dilemma. On the surface the math makes sense, you would rather lose one player than many. And I will add, I think some of the players' discomfort is that a player just throwing away a buy in will randomly assign a good advantage to whichever player happens to pickup the right hand to bust the aggressor instead of which player has more skill over a broader number of hands.

But on the other hand, it has to be uncomfortable as a host to cede power to uninvite players at the behest of a group of other players. Is this group really looking to do this just one time in this instance, or are they going to take this as an invitation to start pressuring the host to shape lineups only to their liking, which makes future recruitment a nightmare and will actually end up costing you more players in the long run. This second possibility will also kill the game sooner or later.

An even more moderate option: The game is pot limit preflop and no limit after that. You still might face the unwelcome all-in post flop. But that lets the rest of the field play a "safe" fit or fold play style if so inclined.
This has come up more than a few times on PCF, but I am not sure of anyone that is doing this in practice regularly. That said, I think this probably merits a try and it would not make much difference that you are doing tournament instead of cash. The math might be a little clunky to get used to at first. But I would sooner try something like this than just outright cut the player.

That said, I think there are justifications in this case given the culture the players want if the aggressor won't change. But I think putting that culture in a rule like PL preflop is probably a more transparent approach than just disinviting players.

No one has chimed in on this part of my post either. Most of the time when this guy makes the all-in play and finally gets called, he does lose.

However, even in that case it's still viewed as game disruptive as it gives one lucky player who had the right hand to call the equivalent of 2 starting stacks gaining an table advantage that wouldn't otherwise be seen normally in a no-rebuy tournament 30 to 60 minutes in. Is that a valid rationalization or are we being too sensitive? Of course I realize the early tournament chip leader isn't always the winner but it sure gives them a nice cushion to fall on.
I definitely think you're being too sensitive on this one. That's just part of tournament play, and in my experience, they guy who doubles up early rarely wins unless it's a quickie turbo tournament.

As far as your main complaint goes, I think you need to make it clear that you're not changing any rules. He doesn't have to wait a certain time before he's allowed to go all-in, he just has to stop playing like such an ass that people don't want to play with him. But be careful with this. How disruptive is he? Are there actually a lot of people who are annoyed and who would rather not play with him, or is it a loud minority (like maybe just you and one other guy?) I'm just saying, if you start bouncing players because other players don't like how they play, you want to be careful you don't start a trend.

(I used to play at a place where there was an All-in Jim - he operated exactly like this. Yeah it was annoying at first, but at some point you have to call him down. And boy does it feel nice when you bust him. But that was a public card room, so I can see how it might need to be different for your home game.)

The only problem with talking to Player X Is that what you’re really doing is considering asking them to explain their play.

I refer you to exhibit A The Poker Constitution: Any two cards, for any amount, on any street.

Player X knows what they’re doing and unless completely oblivious the effect of their actions.

Cut him.

The game is what you’ve chosen to protect and manage.

I may not be following here. This post seems to contradict itself, if you mean "I refer you to exhibit A The Poker Constitution: Any two cards, for any amount, on any street" as justification that Player X should be left alone.

Though if you meant that line as the response you would anticipate from Player X, and you are taking a position that protecting the game is a higher priority than unquestioned tolerance of everything within the rules, that makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
I may not be following here. This post seems to contradict itself, if you mean "I refer you to exhibit A The Poker Constitution: Any two cards, for any amount, on any street" as justification that Player X should be left alone.

Though if you meant that line as the response you would anticipate from Player X, and you are taking a position that protecting the game is a higher priority than unquestioned tolerance of everything within the rules, that makes a lot more sense.
Seems contradictory… I believe firmly in the Poker Constitution. The livelihood of a game though, when actions are extreme and seemingly covered by said, sacred document, is more important and should likely be covered by yet unwritten amendments.

And yes, it is the response I would anticipate from Player X.

Player X obviously hasn’t managed a game that they have committed themselves to including that games players.

And if they have then their game is too loosely goosey for my blood.

Last edited:
If he's not acting like a jack@$$ I always want 1 of these donkeys at an 8 to 10 person table especially if it's a Freezeout. I'm assuming there is also at least 1 Rock at the table so I feel it actually helps the balance of the table.

Poker is all about making adjustments. I would never tell a person how to play unless he specifically asked me for advice.

If your group can't handle a super aggressive loose player then just don't invite him. Or you could simply take advantage of the way he plays...

What your post says to me is that your group likes poker in theory, certain aspects of it anyway, but not the part about it being a gambling game where people may have different approaches to risk. You mostly want 3–5 hours of predictable social activity where no one has to make any meaningful adjustments or do anything, really, except play Fundamentally Sound™ poker strategy. Because it's a "thinking man's game."

Thing is, you're flat lying to yourselves about it being a "thinking man's game."

A thinking man would think about this player and how to defeat his clearly flawed strategy at the table. A thinking man would welcome the challenge.

Instead what's happening is that you're all reacting emotionally to how his presence disrupts your Fundamentally Sound™ poker game. It causes people to have additional risk of busting early that should exist anyway, but doesn't exist because making the game last is more important to your players than winning. He forces players to have to make unorthodox decisions, like whether to call all-in with a naked ace-high or a small pair against a player you know is shoving very light—but they fold 90% of these tougher calls because they don't want to take a chance of busting. It introduces a lot of variability to your meticulously calculated stats too. The humanity!

I used to play in a game a lot like this, where it was the same 16-ish people sitting at the same 2 tables week in and week out for years, and they would positively bristle at anyone showing up and playing in an aggressive manner. I was once warned about this by one of the players, who suggested that my semi-bluff shove on the flop was a bad play because "People here tend to play very tight" (exactly why it was a great play; it only didn't work because she flopped a set). They would sit there and fold blind after blind, talking about "Nah, I can't call here" with like pocket 7s after they just saw me steal a whole orbit of blinds. No one would play back at all. They were so used to their closed group that they just had no understanding of how to adjust.

This brings me all to a simple point: your tournament is more of a social ritual than a poker game. That's why your players get upset when someone rocks the boat even a little—even in a way that's easily defeated and doesn't affect more than the first hour or two. He's an outsider bringing his outside ways.

Now comes the tough part. You have essentially two choices, but there are consequences either way:

1. You can uninvite the player, but if you do so, understand that you should also accept what I've said about your game. It exists in a sort of stasis, and what's bothering your players isn't so much that what he's doing is less than poker (it's not), but that what you are doing is less than poker, and his introduction of perfectly valid poker play ruins it for you. Introducing him to the game disrupts the stasis, and the stasis is more important to your players (and you, perhaps) than the poker-ness of the game, so here we are. This seems like the clear choice in your group's case, but it also means that it will be difficult to keep your game alive over time, as any new player you invite may disrupt the stasis in some way.

2. You can allow your game to transition out of the stasis, into a more flexible game that accepts varying strategies and personalities, e.g., you wouldn't ban this guy or anyone solely for the quality or aggression of his play. The upside is that your game will be able to add and maintain new players more readily, but of course you may lose some of your more curmudgeonly existing players, and it will be more of a poker game and less of a social ritual overall.

What your post says to me is that your group likes poker in theory, certain aspects of it anyway, but not the part about it being a gambling game where people may have different approaches to risk. You mostly want 3–5 hours of predictable social activity where no one has to make any meaningful adjustments or do anything, really, except play Fundamentally Sound™ poker strategy. Because it's a "thinking man's game."

Thing is, you're flat lying to yourselves about it being a "thinking man's game."

A thinking man would think about this player and how to defeat his clearly flawed strategy at the table. A thinking man would welcome the challenge.

Instead what's happening is that you're all reacting emotionally to how his presence disrupts your Fundamentally Sound™ poker game. It causes people to have additional risk of busting early that should exist anyway, but doesn't exist because making the game last is more important to your players than winning. He forces players to have to make unorthodox decisions, like whether to call all-in with a naked ace-high or a small pair against a player you know is shoving very light—but they fold 90% of these tougher calls because they don't want to take a chance of busting. It introduces a lot of variability to your meticulously calculated stats too. The humanity!

I used to play in a game a lot like this, where it was the same 16-ish people sitting at the same 2 tables week in and week out for years, and they would positively bristle at anyone showing up and playing in an aggressive manner. I was once warned about this by one of the players, who suggested that my semi-bluff shove on the flop was a bad play because "People here tend to play very tight" (exactly why it was a great play; it only didn't work because she flopped a set).

This brings me all to a simple point: your tournament is more of a social ritual than a poker game. That's why your players get upset when someone rocks the boat even a little—even in a way that's easily defeated and doesn't affect more than the first hour or two. He's an outsider bringing his outside ways.

Now comes the tough part. You have essentially two choices, but there are consequences either way:

1. You can uninvite the player, but if you do so, understand that you should also accept what I've said about your game. It exists in a sort of stasis, and what's bothering your players isn't so much that what he's doing is less than poker (it's not), but that what you are doing is less than poker, and his introduction of perfectly valid poker play ruins it for you. Introducing him to the game disrupts the stasis, and the stasis is more important to your players (and you, perhaps) than the poker-ness of the game, so here we are. This seems like the clear choice in your group's case, but it also means that it will be difficult to keep your game alive over time, as any new player you invite may disrupt the stasis in some way.

2. You can allow your game to transition out of the stasis, into a more flexible game that accepts varying strategies and personalities, e.g., you wouldn't ban this guy or anyone solely for the quality or aggression of his play. The upside is that your game will be able to add and maintain new players more readily, but of course you may lose some of your more curmudgeonly existing players, and it will be more of a poker game and less of a social ritual overall.
Good post. But not without its flaws.

Jamming on every hand would be considered good poker by a small population. If you’ve hosted games you’d realize that “letting the game adjust” is more along lines of watching it start to die.

Good home games are not falling out of trees. When you have one you do have to make unconventional decisions that might be seen as acquiescing to one particular thought or notion over the “freedoms” of any particular player.

It’s really not entirely different than a player just being abrasive in another way, all while not being outwardly challenging or violating any sort of laws, and being asked to leave.

The host senses that their game might wind up suffering. That’s their job and considering action to address the situation shouldn’t catagorize them or the rest of their players as nits.

Owner/Operator/Founder:

Good post. But not without its flaws.

Jamming on every hand would be considered good poker by a small population. If you’ve hosted games you’d realize that “letting the game adjust” is more along lines of watching it start to die.

Good home games are not falling out of trees. When you have one you do have to make unconventional decisions that might be seen as acquiescing to one particular thought or notion over the “freedoms” of any particular player.

It’s really not entirely different than a player just being abrasive in another way, all while not being outwardly challenging or violating any sort of laws, and being asked to leave.

The host senses that their game might wind up suffering. That’s their job and considering action to address the situation shouldn’t catagorize them or the rest of their players as nits.

Owner/Operator/Founder:
I feel I addressed this.

It seems the right decision here is to probably axe the wild one from the invite list and keep the stasis stasising. It's not the choice I'd personally make, but I also wouldn't want to run a game like this in the first place, if my tone doesn't make that obvious enough.

But in doing so, OP should also recognize what I've said, specifically that the wild player isn't doing anything wrong, and that this game is more of a social ritual than a poker contest—and certainly not a "thinking man's game." I know we're all the heroes of our own story, but in a case like this I have to be blunt. By all means, curate the player pool to maintain this illusion that it's some kind of elite, high-skill poker gathering, but understand as the host that that's not really the case.

I feel I addressed this.

It seems the right decision here is to probably axe the wild one from the invite list and keep the stasis stasising. It's not the choice I'd personally make, but I also wouldn't want to run a game like this in the first place, if my tone doesn't make that obvious enough.

But in doing so, OP should also recognize what I've said, specifically that the wild player isn't doing anything wrong, and that this game is more of a social ritual than a poker contest—and certainly not a "thinking man's game." I know we're all the heroes of our own story, but in a case like this I have to be blunt. By all means, curate the player pool to maintain this illusion that it's some kind of elite, high-skill poker gathering, but understand as the host that that's not really the case.
I’ll agree to disagree simply because that’s who I am. I will note that I wouldn’t be shocked if you hadn’t hosted a longstanding game (100+ sessions) nor would I be truthful if I said I wasn’t offput by what I feel is a little tone of smugness.

I completely respect your opinion but stand behind mine as well and fully support the manager of the game in question and their right to intervene.

All the best.

Owner/Operator/Founder:

I’ll agree to disagree simply because that’s who I am. I will note that I wouldn’t be shocked if you hadn’t hosted a longstanding game (100+ sessions) nor would I be truthful if I said I wasn’t offput by what I feel is a little tone of smugness.

I completely respect your opinion but stand behind mine as well and fully support the manager of the game in question and their right to intervene.

All the best.

Owner/Operator/Founder:
I haven’t kept count of the number of sessions that I’ve hosted, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But @Jimulacrum is right about his evaluation of this game. And it’s fine - every host is entitled to their own rules. But this host came to PCF looking for advice. And it is good advice to consider whether you’re playing poker or something else, and whether or not you care.

Last edited:
I haven’t kept count of the number of sessions that I’ve hosted, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But @Jimulacrum is right about his evaluation of this game. And it’s fine - every host is entitled to their own rules. But this host came to PCF looking for advice. And it is good advice to consider if you’re playing poker or something else, and whether or not you care.
I respect all the opinions it’s just that what some folks are missing is that the host is sensing his game is going to possibly suffer. So while they’re looking for advice, and getting a wise variety of advice (good thing) they’re also having their game categorized and possibly miscatagorized.

There’s not a fine line between being helpful and even offering one’s personal opinion and being condescending.

...nor would I be truthful if I said I wasn’t offput by what I feel is a little tone of smugness.

All the best.

Owner/Operator/Founder:
Pot meet kettle

My take on the OP was that this person has played with them for some time, and, that this had started to develop recently. From that I can gather that they've known each other for some time, are friends, and, don't just view their game as a business. From that perspective I can clearly see why he's torn about what to do. Many things have been covered here, but, I'm not sure the rank and file arguing over how their way is the best way to handle it serves the greater good. There may not be one "right" answer.

If they are friends, I'm not sure any of them would feel completely satisfied if this guy got booted. They mainly want their social gathering to go a little differently. There have been several good suggestions. Perhaps the group give in a little and allow a limited amount of rebuy opportunities, or, change up betting structure in some way. There are many ways to address this but, it will probably need to be addressed in some way, and, sooner rather than later.

Have you tried an All-in or Fold tournament? Might be an interesting way to highlight his “issue”.

It’s not as bad as it sounds, everybody’s not all in instantly. Blinds are exempt in some versions, others not. But set it up with a cheap buyin and a cheap rebuy and it really is a decent tournament.

If you want more info just ask, I’ve played this kind of tournament in home games and casinos. Plenty of others have too.

Have you considered raising the stakes?

Players tend to shove more when there is nothing to lose. The dollar has roughly 70% of it's spending power from where it was when you started 7 years ago. Add to that, as "middle aged men", you have probably all seen decent raises or made clever occupational moves to increase your expendable income over the last 7 years. It may be time to make it a little more costly to blindly shove.

Poker as a "thinking man's game" is fine, but @Jimulacrum is right, you are no longer playing poker if you need to tell another player how to play. As the host you have a wide assortment of tools available that can shift the attitude toward the game.

You say your stakes are "low" - again this is a relative term, and limits my ability to offer suggestions. $5 is a low stake. Then again, if you are a group of lawyers, $100 is a low stake.

All the best.

Owner/Operator/Founder:
You might want to read what I wrote a little more carefully. I do support the host's right to right to curate his player pool to his own standards. I just disagree with his reasons for wanting to do so.

As to the smugness, you're not wrong. It's intentional. I'm returning the tone of the prompt.

The OP goes on and on about how seriously he and his players take the game. It's so competitive, such a profound gathering of poker minds, a real "thinking man's game," and the problem is that this big dummy and his donkish ways are positively ruining it. :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard some version of this story. It always comes off roughly like this, and the person telling it is always roughly as oblivious as this about how ridiculous it comes off for a "thinking man's game" to get its panties so twisted over a strategy adjustment that barely qualifies as trivial.

As to whether I've hosted 100+ games and other arbitrary yardsticks, why should that matter? If you have something to say in response to the substance of my words, I'm happy to hear that. Not as interested in entertaining whatever this tactic is.

You might want to read what I wrote a little more carefully. I do support the host's right to right to curate his player pool to his own standards. I just disagree with his reasons for wanting to do so.

As to the smugness, you're not wrong. It's intentional. I'm returning the tone of the prompt.

The OP goes on and on about how seriously he and his players take the game. It's so competitive, such a profound gathering of poker minds, a real "thinking man's game," and the problem is that this big dummy and his donkish ways are positively ruining it. :rolleyes:

I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard some version of this story. It always comes off roughly like this, and the person telling it is always roughly as oblivious as this about how ridiculous it comes off for a "thinking man's game" to get its panties so twisted over a strategy adjustment that barely qualifies as trivial.

As to whether I've hosted 100+ games and other arbitrary yardsticks, why should that matter? If you have something to say in response to the substance of my words, I'm happy to hear that. Not as interested in entertaining whatever this tactic is.
No tactic. I was just pointing out that absent of being able to read the majority and a game dies. Nothing more nothing less.

No ill will intended.

Any constructive feedback or comments on how to deal with this is very much appreciated. I personally feel like I'm going to lose players no matter what route I take. What about moving from no-limit hold 'em to limit hold 'em? Any other solutions?
Players come and go. You need to always be recruiting to keep your game healthy.

If you ban the guy, you're giving power to players who don't run the game themselves. That's a bad precedent to set.

My opinion is like a few others don’t jeopardize the game over one bad player. Also don’t care to his needs and change the style to cash games just because of him. Stick to your guns! Treat your game like a business . In a business whenever there is one bad apple who becomes a ‘cancer’ don’t let it spread. Bring him into your office have a word with him try and encourage him to better . If he doesn’t 0 tolerance show him the door!!
You can't take a guy aside and tell him his playing style is unacceptable. That's unethical on many levels.

All in all @Jimulacrum touched on all the important points.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I think I may even have posted about it here. A hyper-aggro player was making the game unenjoyable for a few regulars who preferred a more passive, predictable game (who wouldn't). After some contemplation, I ended up telling the players in question that part of poker is learning to adapt to others' playing styles. I ended up talking strategy with a few of them, which probably helped.

So in the end, I did nothing. But it's also worth pointing out that my list has 100 names on it and I can easily fill a 3-table tournament on a Tuesday night. So it's a little easier to tell the whiners to suck it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom