Windwalker’s Chipping Journey in Pr0n0grAph1C Detail (16 Viewers)

While I am thrilled to now own a decent sized set of the Savannah Suns, the $1 chip is underwhelming, and boring to me.

View attachment 687115

I had acquired a couple of racks of CBC $10s a while ago, and my current thought is to shape mill them to become a $1 for this set. Below is a quick fantasy mockup. Thoughts / better ideas?

View attachment 687117

I'm a big fan of the original 1s.

I don't remember cbcs being that bright.

While I am thrilled to now own a decent sized set of the Savannah Suns, the $1 chip is underwhelming, and boring to me.

View attachment 687115

I had acquired a couple of racks of CBC $10s a while ago, and my current thought is to shape mill them to become a $1 for this set. Below is a quick fantasy mockup. Thoughts / better ideas?

Bad idea. A solid circular label $1 chip is a timeless look. Do you play with your chips or model them down a runway?.... they don't all need to pop with color. Not to mention, they look sky blue which is a great color to have a solid chip in. If you want a pre school crayon drawing color splash, break out the cocaine giraffes.

Bad idea. A solid circular label $1 chip is a timeless look. Do you play with your chips or model them down a runway?.... they don't all need to pop with color. Not to mention, they look sky blue which is a great color to have a solid chip in. If you want a pre school crayon drawing color splash, break out the cocaine giraffes.
Counterpoint:

occ.jpeg

View attachment 687115

View attachment 687117

Excuse my amateur editing.
Screenshot_20200118_112227.jpg

Good point!

Your suggested replacement is unquestionably an improvement appearance-wise, but there's more to a set than appearance. Inlay replacements give you a distinctly different chip than one with an intact original inlay, as it creates an ugly second recess within the chip's molded recess and replaces an inlay with a decal, effectively (imho) turning a compression clay chip into a china clay chip.

It's a not unreasonable approach to filling out a set where the appropriate chips simply don't exist or are nearly impossible to obtain, i.e. turning random hotstamped solids into fracs. I think it's a poor choice for replacing an original, authentic, compression-molded inlay in an unusual and distinctive set.

I would interrogate your purpose in making the set. If it's to make an attractive set to put into play, you've got lots of options for that already. If it's to have a complete set from this unusual source, then swapping out one denom for a fake replacement seems like it would undermine the purpose. If the plainness of the original $1 puts you on tilt (which is understandable... it's such a noticeable and jarring difference from the other denominations!) then maybe this is a set you'd be better off leaving out of your edited collection.

Excuse my amateur editing.
View attachment 687203
I was looking up blue chips on the ChipGuide and kept stopping on chips matching the Scandia, wondering how it would look. Nice.

To shape mill he'd need to find similar but hotstamped. Like these chips. Hopefully something that is not Cali or Nevada. While I do mill chips, I'm not a monster. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

31952a.jpg
13201.jpg

Your suggested replacement is unquestionably an improvement appearance-wise, but there's more to a set than appearance. Inlay replacements give you a distinctly different chip than one with an intact original inlay, as it creates an ugly second recess within the chip's molded recess and replaces an inlay with a decal, effectively (imho) turning a compression clay chip into a china clay chip.

It's a not unreasonable approach to filling out a set where the appropriate chips simply don't exist or are nearly impossible to obtain, i.e. turning random hotstamped solids into fracs. I think it's a poor choice for replacing an original, authentic, compression-molded inlay in an unusual and distinctive set.

I would interrogate your purpose in making the set. If it's to make an attractive set to put into play, you've got lots of options for that already. If it's to have a complete set from this unusual source, then swapping out one denom for a fake replacement seems like it would undermine the purpose. If the plainness of the original $1 puts you on tilt (which is understandable... it's such a noticeable and jarring difference from the other denominations!) then maybe this is a set you'd be better off leaving out of your edited collection.
"interrogate your purpose in making the set" might just be my favourite chipping phrase of all-time.

Also, just like regular milling, I think the size and placement of the hotstamp could become a problem depending on which shape you mill. That $1 I posted above gets close to the edge and certain shapes might leave some of the stamp visible. @Gear opinion?

Maybe he could give you search parameters lol.

This is a great response, thank you!

The purpose, as part of my editing, was actually to create a secondary $1, not a full-on replacement. I am a huge fan of having complete, original sets, but I also like creating variety in play. It’s not like the sky blue singles would be cast away.

One key reason for wanting the secondary $1: I can’t seem to find a frac that belongs to this set, and so wanted, for the sake of completeness, to create a frac. Unfortunately, having two solids one after another as a frac and as a $1 seemed bleh / confusing to me. Given the $5 already has a complex spot pattern, it seemed reasonable to create a spotted secondary $1 that would fit between a solid frac and a 4d14 spotted $5.

The complications of shape milling are unknown to me, since I’ve never tried it. I’ve seen pictures of @Frank’s shape-milled replacement for his Aztar $5s, and they look amazing.

Thanks for all the great input, folks!

or this

and no, having two solids play together is no problem at all.
That actually looks great. I have a good number of racks of millable random leaded / solid / initialed Hotstamps in about 13-14 different colors, I’ll play with them and see what fits. Thanks, David.

Also do you really need a frac? I mean, I get it that more chips are better. I dont have fracs because I don't use them. I do have a few solids that I could use as a frac if I needed, but in general I think sets are fine without fracs.
Probably not. But I’ve started hosting some beginner / low stakes learning games for friends who don’t play often (or at all), and I’m finding fracs to be quite useful in those.

Anyway, just thinking aloud, like I said!

Went back and forth on a few options, and finally decided on a shaped inlay replacement for my PCA $1. Quite pleased with the choice, and how it will end up looking. Unfortunately, the picture I used for the mockup wasn't extremely bright, but I'm hoping this pops in person a bit more! Much thanks to @JFCJ and @Gear for the assist!

B2D3BE16-601D-435E-A5A6-319C1E6EF2CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom