Dirt track racing (26 Viewers)

If you get all your friends to sell a few chips and contribute, you night be able to afford getting that dirty brown stuff paved over. Then you could buy some wider, actually sticky tires, and go racing...:cool

In SCCA racing, there really is an old saying that "the black stuff is faster than the green and brown stuff." It's true...

If you get all your friends to sell a few chips and contribute, you night be able to afford getting that dirty brown stuff paved over. Then you could buy some wider, actually sticky tires, and go racing...:cool

In SCCA racing, there really is an old saying that "the black stuff is faster than the green and brown stuff." It's true...
Dirt fans do to. The black stuff is used to get to the brown stuff for real racing. lol

tenor.gif

...every true dirt race fan has their favorite driver. For me it was The Tempe Tornado, Lealand McSpadden. I think he is the only driver to win the Chili Bowl, Bellview Nationals, & Western World Championships (back when it was at Manzanita and meant something). There really is nothing quite like watching 410 non wing sprint cars...CRA & USAC are the best. I also lke the USAC National Midget series, fav new driver is Tyler Courtney...
Here is Lealand in the late 80's
lealand1.jpg

I've raced dirt and asphalt. Winged and non-winged.

I love it all.

Scariest moment in my life was a 15? minute period after a really hard wreck, where I went blind. EMT's got to me, helped me out of the car, I waved to the crowd, and as we were walking back to the pits, I lost all vision.

I think I was around 18 at the time. Thoughts of being blind for the rest of my life scared the hell out of me.

After that accident, I wasn't the same driver. I was always second guessing if I could make the gap, or if the other driver would slide. Things like that. I still did ok, but I know I wasn't as good.

Mike

I've raced dirt and asphalt. Winged and non-winged.

I love it all.

Scariest moment in my life was a 15? minute period after a really hard wreck, where I went blind. EMT's got to me, helped me out of the car, I waved to the crowd, and as we were walking back to the pits, I lost all vision.

I think I was around 18 at the time. Thoughts of being blind for the rest of my life scared the hell out of me.

After that accident, I wasn't the same driver. I was always second guessing if I could make the gap, or if the other driver would slide. Things like that. I still did ok, but I know I wasn't as good.

Mike

That happens to a bunch of racers I've talked to. My hero Lealand wasn't the same after a big wreck in Kansas. He was a rim rider, never ran for points, win or crash. ;)

Favorite drivers... well saddly watching PA sprint races my whole life, my favorite all time driver was Gregg Hodnett, luckily we were not at the track that horrible day almost 2 years ago now. The track he died at just sucks, very little thought of saftey, they claim a freak accident but the exit of the track at that point is unacceptable and still Imho.

Fred Rayhmer a local race legend brought Stevie Smith out from Broken Arrow, OK the last 2 seasons if his racing career for our larger races, that was a true treat to watch the end of that amazing career.

Favorite USAC driver was Bryan Clauson, who was fatally injured in a midget race in 2016, one of the most horrifying wrecks I have ever seen! That man could drive anything and did!! Nowadays a friend of mine daughter is a huge Brady Bacon fan so I usually rock the bright Bacon shirts for the USAC races.

Also was always a fan of The Wild Child Jac Haudenschild, always extremely entertaining over the years! He was that guy that would come from last and he is headed for first or destroy the car trying to get there!! Sheldon his son has a long ways to go to fill those shoes.

Just happy we are back to racing in PA!! Definitely hoping to make it to Eldora someday @slisk250 as I always say... ROAD TRIP!!!

Also was always a fan of The Wild Child Jac Haudenschild, always extremely entertaining over the years! He was that guy that would come from last and he is headed for first or destroy the car trying to get there!! Sheldon his son has a long ways to go to fill those shoes.
Haudenschild was a really nice guy too. He wanted to give me one of his helmets one time. I’m bot sure why I didn’t accept the offer. He was also one of the smallest guys I remember on the circuit.

Haudenschild was a really nice guy too. He wanted to give me one of his helmets one time. I’m bot sure why I didn’t accept the offer. He was also one of the smallest guys I remember on the circuit.
He is a true gentleman! Even though his racing style was on the insane and wreck less side... he still races on occasion, haven't checked this season but he has been making appearances with the Allstar circuit. Much rather see him retire and get out of it! The last few years he has lost the nerve anyways... content with 10 - 14th place, not really taking chances.... but I will always remember who he used to be, truly an enjoyment to watch!

DSCN1771.JPG Then I got my kids into racing 3rd generation Soap Box Derby racers. Still expensive but done now I guess until grand kids want to race whenever they get here.

That’s kind of his weekend routine. Do you watch any Modifieds? That’s more my speed. Was at BAPS last weekend to watch the STSS.
We catch the modifieds at Lincoln when we're here, they're fun lol we've only been to baps a few times, we lost hodnet there that was a tough break
View attachment 496764 This several years back at the DTWC (dirt track world championships) Loved racing but it was expensive
Definitely expensive! I've always said I wanted to drive a dirt car!

We catch the modifieds at Lincoln when we're here, they're fun lol we've only been to baps a few times, we lost hodnet there that was a tough break

Definitely expensive! I've always said I wanted to drive a dirt car!
Buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going to Georgetown, but that’s quite a haul.

I’d like to catch the Modifieds at Port Royals in October.

I want to get to Bridgeport too since they redid it. I haven’t been there in a looooooong tome

Buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going to Georgetown, but that’s quite a haul.

I’d like to catch the Modifieds at Port Royals in October.

I want to get to Bridgeport too since they redid it. I haven’t been there in a looooooong tome
Dont think we've been out to Georgetown, havent made the hike to port either even though I'd really like to. Just so far to drive home after the race. Abouts where is Bridgeport at?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom