Dirt track racing (21 Viewers)

Home again

16016797186999001267186719466276.jpg

For anyone whose into racing like we are, Mr Larson has graced us with his presence tonight!

20210416_190440.jpg

I've always wondered why dirt trackers bother with tires. They're expensive, and there's nothing for them to grab, anyway...
The cushion building there at the top of the track would argue strongly Larry. Lol also the seats were we are sitting get pummeled with small chunks of dirt as they call "pebbles", those large right rear tires are grabbing the surface and slinging it everywhere!

But once the track takes rudder (which it did not do last night) you are correct, they are basically slipping n sliding the rest of the night. But these lower HP classes don't use much track up, not like the 358 and 410 sprint cars do. That cushion is pretty safe here, but after 6 - 8 heat races and 3/4 of the way through a feature, that cushion is often within 10 ft of the wall in the middle of the turn and non existant at the exit with the large cars. The track we are headed to this evening they will literally bounce off of the walls to try and grad that last bit of traction. Pretty crazy stuff with 900 Horse power, 1250 pounds including the driver, and the front wheels often not even touching the track in the turns!

I get that's not everyone's "cup of tea" when it comes to racing... but it has kept me and many other loyal fans happy for decades!

1. Has anyone ever tried solid tires? Not much point to the air cushion, is there?

2. What's the tire tread like? Like snow tires? Studded? That's around Formula Ford weight, and FFs run 1600cc engines, ~125-150HP. How on earth could those guys get 900 HP connected to the ground? Seems like those tires should be spinning all the time...

1. Has anyone ever tried solid tires? Not much point to the air cushion, is there?

2. What's the tire tread like? Like snow tires? Studded? That's around Formula Ford weight, and FFs run 1600cc engines, ~125-150HP. How on earth could those guys get 900 HP connected to the ground? Seems like those tires should be spinning all the time...
This is the exact tires they run here locally
Screenshot_20210731-092357_Samsung Internet.jpg

And I was a bit off on the weight
Screenshot_20210731-092308_Samsung Internet.jpg

Those massive wings create huge down force and allows them to get power to the surface. Funny we have a friend that has been racing his whole life, now well in his 70s but wants to build a car with a 360 engine to run in the 410s and believes he can beat them with much less motor but correctly applying power while they are spinning wheels.

Our home track is Linclon Speedway Larry its is only 3/8 of a mile oval and our 410s runat average speeds of 102 MPH with the record of 105.6 MPH. Pretty quick around a little baby track!

Am I correct in assuming that those class names are maximum engine displacement in cubic inches?

Fwiw, F1 engines put out roughly 800 BHP from 100 cubic inches...

Love this thread. Thanks. My dad was a huge Sprint car and drag racing fan, he passed that on to me. We used to go to the NW Nationals every summer and Skagit speedway for outlaws and four or five regular nights every summer. I lost him in 2014 and I haven't been able to go to a race since. I wish I c9uld and every year I wonder if this is the year. And as it usually goes here we are in the middle of summer and I haven't been yet.

This thread makes me reeeeeaaallllyyy want to though. :D

Love this thread. Thanks. My dad was a huge Sprint car and drag racing fan, he passed that on to me. We used to go to the NW Nationals every summer and Skagit speedway for outlaws and four or five regular nights every summer. I lost him in 2014 and I haven't been able to go to a race since. I wish I c9uld and every year I wonder if this is the year. And as it usually goes here we are in the middle of summer and I haven't been yet.

This thread makes me reeeeeaaallllyyy want to though. :D
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you can one day make it to a race again! When there is no poker nights this is what we look forward to on the weekends!!!

I used to go to dirt track figure 8 in Michigan but I haven’t found it since moving to SoCal. Anyone know where they run that here in SoCal?

I used to be a big fan of the World of Outlaws circuit. I guess I drifted away from it. Joey Saldana is the only driver name that I recognize in the drivers list. He must be getting really old, LOL!

Last edited:
20220212_211543.jpg
20220212_182113.jpg
20220212_180211.jpg
20220212_175944.jpg
20220212_175937.jpg
20220212_174442.jpg
20220212_173419.jpg
20220212_173412.jpg
20220212_173405.jpg

Only one bad accident to report, Kahne hit the wall pretty hard in the C main trying to gain some ground from the back of the pack, he came off the straight away and his car shot right head on into the wall of the turn, eliminating him from the race. He did walk away, thankfully

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom