2016 Custom Chip HOF stump thread. (1 Viewer)

I'm digging around looking for sets.

I'd you want to nominate a set but can't find pics, I'll see if I can track some down on my travels.

So I've been working on this and had a list of 12 - 15 possible nominees which I've reluctantly narrowed to 5. (y) :thumbsup: I'll list the rest of them in a separate post though in case others wish to stump for them, and can certainly make a case for several.

1. Contreras Landa. The backstory predates my chipnerdiness but the delectable colors speak for themselves. What an awesome design, and I'm surprised they didn't make the cut last year.
CLsplash.jpg

CLset1.jpg

CLsplash2.jpg

2. The Boulevard. Everything hangs together so well with this set. The color matching is great but the chip colors are amazing on the $5 and $20 (and all chips) and each chip represents a time/mood. Elegant simplicity.
boulevard.jpg

3. Condor Club. Great tribute theme on shaped inlays and awesome mold! This set never got enough love but the owner has nothing but great chips and taste.
condorclubsample.jpg

condorclubsplash2.jpg

condorclubsplash3.jpg

4. Iron Bank. Amazing tournament set. The theme is flawlessly executed. Love the duality of the Bounty and each chip fits its house in design.
ironbank.jpg

ironbank1.jpg

ironbank2.jpg

5. Colony Club. Amazing deco theme on a great mold and designed with tons of community input, which is sometimes difficult to do and maintain one's vision. Striking colors and I'm a sucker for md-50.
colonyclub1.jpg

colonyclub2.jpg

colonyclubsample.png

I won't list all the others on my list since many are already ITT of course, but will stump for a few more in case I missed them:

Old Orchard. machinelf inlays and sweet gradient color matching. I'm not a huge hourglass mold fan but these were so well done, and c'mon, the T25 looks like a granny smith apple. I'll nominate both the cash and tourney sets since I'm not sure I have a fav.
oldorchard1.jpg

oldorchard2.jpg

oldorchard3.jpg

oldorchard4.jpg

lol edit: I see jbutler nagging me for the rest so I'll list them. May not have time to post pics!

C U Next Tuesday

Perfecto Lounge (cash and tourney)

Via Lactea Poker

Chateau de Noix (cash and tourney)

California Club (md-50 albino dragon)

Suicide King Club (BCC MGK tourney)

honorable mentions imo for Bart's Bowl-O-rama, Bel Air, and Flying Pig

Some great sets nominated. Thanks for the couple of nominations for my set. I'm glad people see it as HoF worthy. I couldnt bring myself to nominate it myself. I LOVE my set and wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. But at the same time I think there are other sets that are better and more worthy.

But seeing as it has been I'll just leave these here...

image.jpg
image.jpg

I was trying to remember the name of the other set that I thought absolutely had to be in and it was Old Orchard. Thanks for including it - I think my top four at this point are:

- Contreras Landa (BCC)
- Cedar Room (ASM)
- Old Orchard (ASM)
- Colony Club

I was trying to remember the name of the other set that I thought absolutely had to be in and it was Old Orchard. Thanks for including it - I think my top four at this point are:

- Contreras Landa (BCC)
- Cedar Room (ASM)
- Old Orchard (ASM)
- Colony Club

Old Orchard cash or tourney? No wrong answer...

- Cedar Room (ASM)

There a couple of Cedar Room sets (md50 and fdl) but I'll also nominate the md50 set. Been trying to remember what this set was called for ages. Thanks for jogging my memory. Love the hotstamp nickel

image.jpg
image.jpg

For everyone's info, the committee is finalizing its individual lists and will begin discussions of individual sets in the coming day or two. So if anyone has any further suggestions, now is the time. I have had a blast trying to bring back to mind some of the classic sets I fear are being forgotten.

I know it was posted that final submissions were being considered a week or so back. However, I want to add my thoughts (maybe keep this in mind for next year). One of my favorite sets is Jeff's King's Club set.

3745046_orig.jpg

Here's a link to Jeff's Website, that details the set (with many more photos). And here's a set description from the website:

The Kings Club (Tourney)

This is a custom tournament set manufactured in 2012 as a custom set by ASM (Atlantic Standard Molding) on the MD-50 (Diamond Square) mold. Each denomination has chips with four different inlays, with the four different kings (spade, heart, club, diamond). Additionally, the inlays colors were matched with the chip (with the exception of the yellow chip, which was matched with a maroon spot because white against yellow does not have enough contrast), so it appears that the design on the inlay is a white design on the chip itself. The set has 2,000 chips total with a breakdown of 500 $25 chips, 600 $100 chips, 500 $500 Chips, 300 $1,000 chips and 100 $5,000 chips. This set was designed to support a four table (40-person) tournament with a $25,000 starting stack.

Essentially, each chip has 4 versions (how baller).

9957209_orig.jpg

OK, that's my 2017 submission. :)

I pushed for the Monopoly set, but I couldn't get enough of the committee to get on board (pun not intended). The way the H mold reminds me of train tracks cutting into the edge of the inlay, the fact that the name "Monopoly" never appears, but simply mention "Monopoly set" and everyone that has seen it knows what you are talking about - two reasons this should someday land in the HoF, but this (unfortunately) is not the year.

Last edited:
I pushed for the Monopoly set, but I couldn't get the rest of the committee to get on board (pun not intended). The way the H mold reminds me of train tracks cutting into the edge of the inlay, the fact that the name "Monopoly" never appears, but simply mention "Monopoly set" and everyone that has seen it knows what you are talking about - two reasons this should someday land in the HoF, but this (unfortunately) is not the year.

Thanks PZ!

I'm just glad I finally ordered some more of the cash chips to bring it up to par with the limits of our current game. It bums me out to see it not making the rotation. Look for some action shots around March :)

FYI we are working on getting things ready to go live soon. The committee picked 14 sets for HOF consideration. A ton more sets were discussed (some of them very passionately!)

Thank you to everyone who stumped for sets. It's a daunting task when you really sit down and try to leaf through these. Our approach as a committee isn't to say we are putting forward every set that should be in the HOF. Instead ours is to pick sets we feel generates a consensus out of us as ones that merit HOF consideration. Since personal tastes factor in so mightily this is why half the committee changes every year. I am sure there will be sets that people feel should be included which did not receive enough nominations to go to voting this year. These are still eligible in future years when new committee members get a chance to voice their opinion!

Thank you for all your input everyone and we look forward to presenting you with voting options soon.

While digging, I came across stuff from DrJohn on CT. The man was genius. Since we never hear from him these days, I assume he's outside BCC begging for them to reopen their doors, or homeless living under a bridge in a box made out of chips?

Oh, I am humbled, thank you. I stopped collecting poker chips in 2011, and my home game ended in 2013, so I haven't been playing poker for quite a while. I am very happy to hear my pix are still appreciated!

Oh, I am humbled, thank you. I stopped collecting poker chips in 2011, and my home game ended in 2013, so I haven't been playing poker for quite a while. I am very happy to hear my pix are still appreciated!

@DrJohn: undisputed King of Poker Chip Pr0n!

I am flattered to hear that even after all these years you see it that way! :)
Thanks, everyone!

This is highly OT, but can someone point me to a thread where I can find out what the heck happened to Chiptalk while I was gone? Thanks!

I am flattered to hear that even after all these years you see it that way! :)
Thanks, everyone!

This is highly OT, but can someone point me to a thread where I can find out what the heck happened to Chiptalk while I was gone? Thanks!
Stuff happened. It got ugly. It's now a ghost town. Bout sums it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom